Green Hope Guest House
Ravelaw(Duns)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe riverabbey stsouthern upland waywonderful hostsperfect placemade us feellovely breakfastone nighton arrivalbeautiful locationself catering basisrat raceshared bathroomtwo night staybed and breakfastpeace and quiettwo nights
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the best guest house we have ever stayed in: great location with stunning views on woods and a river, a beautiful garden, very peaceful. The hosts were very kind and helpful, great atmosphere. Rooms were very clean and nicely furnished. Breakfast was perfect, very big portions. We got much more than we expected. We will definitely go back there because we love this place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janusz103
Bill L, Manager at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

We did enjoy meeting you and appreciate your generous response. Thank you. We also enjoyed learning a few words of Polish from your delightful son. Best wishes to you all and we hope to meet you here again. A and B

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

It's the second time I have visited One Green Hope guest house and it's still a wonderful place to visit! Very nice and quiet, barely nothing that could disturb you from being relaxed. The owners are so friendly and always in for a nice talk. Breakfast was perfect, we also got a load of fruits! Thanks again for staying!

• Stayed: September 2012
Bill L, Owner at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thanks for your kind message. We are so so glad you put in the picture of the 2 almost identical cars; they were such fun. It was good to see you again and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. Best wishes A & B

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have stayed at many guest houses across the years and across the UK. Green Hope is now our firm favourite.

We were looking forward to a beautiful geographical location and we got it, at even greater levels than expected. The size and scale of Green Hope’s surroundings makes it hard to capture in just photographs; it is truly wonderful and needs to be experienced first hand.

What we had not expected, in addition to the setting, was such kind and gracious hosts. Nothing was too much trouble for Alison & Bill. When we needed them they were there, above and beyond the call of duty. When we wanted solitude, there it was.

If you want a quiet rural retreat where you can relax away from the hubbub, there is nowhere to top this. Be sure to use the directions on the website to maximise your time and your stay!

Room Tip: ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill L, Owner at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your response; we enjoyed meeting you and seeing so many jigsaws completed!
Wonderful guests!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have seen some B&B's, but this one is definitely the one not to go!
Make sure your SatNav is working with post codes as you will have to spent some time finding the location with only address indication.
The room we stayed in was very small -family room!. Parents bed standing next to the wall, so that you would have had to crawl over to the other side.
The bed was literally a plank with a very dusty tired thin mattress. After a long days travel not what you need to have a good nights sleep.
The second bed had tired squeaky springs dating back to the 60s at least. Dusty as well. Every movement was to be noisy.
The floor carpet was dusty and we struggled all night long with dust allergy symptoms.
We were allowed to used the kitchen, which upfront I thought wonderful -
BUT.. the cutlery and plates were not cleaned to the standards I'm used to, so I had to wash everything again. The kettle was dark brown inside, I do not know the color of the water, couldn't see it. The toaster had seen cleaner days, I do hope so. The table we should eat on was sticky - could not be asked to eat on that.
We did not have a good feeling at breakfast the other morning, as we thought that the cleanliness of the main kitchen would be similar. Cups with stains and tea spoons with rest of sugar in were served up. I could not drink the tea as my stomach was revolting.
The furniture looked like auction hall sale out of the late 60s/70s. No feel to it at all.
To end this awkward stay, as I was about to leave and pay, the owner told me that they made a mistake and had debited my account already 10 days before my arrival, although I had booked with booking.com and could have cancelled up to 2 days before arrival date.
They would NOT have told me as I arrived, but waited until billing time.
I would NOT recommend this place, unless you love to stay in a very basic B&B in the woods, in a far far away land.....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Searchlight78
GreenHope, Owner at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

We are astonished at this review, and are greatly saddened by the thought that we have such a disappointed customer. This guest made only one complaint, on departure, namely that we had charged her card for her stay prior to arrival. This was a mistake on our part as we had misread her arrival date, (the 8th instead of the 18th) for which we apologised. It is NOT our policy to deduct the cost of stay prior to arrival.
Detailed directions, and postcode, are posted on the web site, along with photographs, from which it is clear that we are out in the countryside, a feature our guests appreciate. We do recommend that guests bring these directions with them on their first visit.
We take our guest reviews very seriously, but can hardly believe this review relates to Green Hope.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Its just like the other reviews say... Very friendly, great breakfast, fab location.
Peaceful, peaceful, .... my only Criticism being the bed in the Robin room being very hard (its a personal thing I know and probably hard mattress is good for the back)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family