“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Tyndrum Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
The Tyndrum Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tyndrum
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a meal tonight, three had gammon and one had lamb shank, followed by Cranachan, apple crumble and eton mess. Two had coffee. Very tasty, lamb could have done with more mashed potatoes, carrots a bit undercooked. Staff very friendly and helpful, would definitely go again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank edithsmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Tyndrum inn should have it sewn up. The only hotel to stay at in the nearby vicinity and right next door to the well known Green Welly shop, yet it was a huge disappointment. The decor is tired and the TV picture in the rooms often broke up although there may not be much that could be done about that. The breakfast was poor: plentiful but not the best flavours at all. The evening meal however and the bar service was good. I understand that there are new owners and I am sure that they can really improve what is on offer because this inn could be fantastic but isn't!

• Stayed July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

This place is getting away with murder!! I stopped here on the fourth leg of the west highland way. First of all they had lost our bag and tried to blame the transfer company. They eventually found it in another part of the hotel. The room was dull and dirty. Window looked onto residential houses and no blinds or net curtain. The television had very little or no reception and was also plugged into an extension cable that was halfway up the wall (health and safety inspection?!!!). The shower was dirty and held together with duck tape. The wash hand basin was in the bedroom beside the bed and gurgled everytime someone in a neighbouring room used theirs. And the icing on the cake was that there was no hot water for a shower. We reported this to reception and was asked why we needed hot water in the summer!! We told him if he was joking that we weren't really in the mood for that. We decided to try to get on with it and eat in the bar as there didn't appear to be many other choice. The food was terrible and over priced. I don't know what kind of meat the burger had been made from but it certainly wasn't beef! The following morning there was still no hot water. Breakfast again was very, very poor. Very little choice and very sloppily served. A man at a neighbouring table said to the waitress that there was no salt and pepper on the table. He was told he only had to ask for it. On looking around I noticed that there wasn't any on any of the tables. On being served our breakfast (inedible) we were asked if we would like salt and pepper. For goodness sake!! I have never eaten anywhere that didn't have salt and pepper on the table!! On checking out we complained along with other guests to what appeared to be the manageress that there was no hot water. She said she couldn't understand it and it was the first she had heard of it despite us complaining when we arrived. She said she would arrange for half our money to be refunded but it wasn't the point. When you are doing a long walk like the West Highland Way a hot shower is a must! We couldn't get out of the place quick enough! As there is little or no alternative on this leg of the walk they seem to think the can do what they like. It was also the most expensive of all the hotels we stayed in on the walk (every other one was excellent). Please avoid this hotel at all costs - even if it means walking a bit further! It makes Fawlty Towers look like The Ritz!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Lorraine D

Travelers are raving about these Tyndrum hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of the West Highland Way and it was the only option left available. What a shoddy run down place it is. Totally overpriced for what you get. Spent the first half hour in the room phoning anywhere else near to find an alternative however no luck.
The rooms are not clean and are of terrible quality. Shower head held onto the pole with duck tape. Bed mattresses solid and bent through years of use. The shower was dirty. The furniture is terrible and looks like it was made by a terrible diy'er.
For what I paid for the room I would've expected far more however was out of options. If it was half the price I paid I wouldn't have any complaints however I feel totally ripped off.

I didn't try the menu food however the breakfast was clearly as cheap as possible. My advice, try all you can not to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LordMorrington
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel has been taken over by new owners Andy & Jennifer Reily. They have and are spending plenty doing the place up. Nice bright New Bar is really nice and food is fantastic.
The views from the conservatory over to the hills are so relaxing too. Would recommend a weekend here.

Wishing them all the best as its a MAJOR improvement on the old place.

p.s. I have now been x3 and eat there whenever passing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mark a
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recommended by our B&B owner. The food was perectly OK. Whist the staff initially did not seem over friendly, they gradually seemed to lighten up and made effiorts to check that we were happy with our meals - which we were.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 9andadog
Oxford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had been out walking all day in very hot weather and didn't have anywhere booked to stay. As time was pressing, we were keen to get in somewhere, especially as so many B&B's were showing as fully booked.
We were passing The Tyndrum Inn and having passed several times before, decided to give it a go. They had spaces, and let me check the room before committing. I took it because it looked acceptable and we were getting a little anxious that we wouldn't find anywhere else.
This stay got worse as it went along unfortunately. The room was very basic and dark, and I'm not altogether sure how clean it was. The best thing about it was the large flat screen TV, but even the reception on that was poor!
We opted to eat in the restaurant, and the menu looked very appealing. However, the food was terrible.
I had "Highland Mushrooms" as a starter. I was slightly concerned because it just looked like a bowl of grey slop. It was pretty tasteless and didn't seem to reflect the description on the menu at all. My partner ordered deep fried brie which was OK, but how wrong can you go with deep frying something? It came with cranberry jelly - the dollop of jelly on the plate was bigger than the piece of brie!!!
We both ordered rib-eye steaks for our main course. Firstly, the steaks didn't look like rib-eye, more like sirloin (far too thin). We ordered them rare and medium-rare respectively, and at best, they were both cooked at least medium. The chips and onion rings were OK, but a bit greasy.
We ordered a bottle of wine (choice of two white wines) and opted for a Pinot Grigio. It was vile! Something I would clean with windows with! My partner also commented that the Fosters lager wasn't very good either.
We considered complaining, but decided against it because we didn't think it would actually achieve anything.
There was one chap who seemed to be in charge who was very friendly and helpful but seemed to be doing everything himself. The other member of a staff was polite but not very friendly, and there seemed to be other members of staff hanging around the bar demanding to be served ahead of other customers which I found a bit odd.
Breakfast the next morning wasn't much better, served by a slightly sulky waitress and the food appeared to have just been piled up on the plate - there was plenty of it, but all horribly overcooked (chewy bacon, hard egg) and quite greasy. Neither of us finished it.
Check out was a very special experience! I went to load our bags into the car and when I tried to get back in, found all the doors had been locked. My partner was asked to leave at 10am from the room, despite the fact that no-one had advised us of a check out time. When we tried to find someone to get a VAT receipt, there was only the breakfast waitress around and she struggled to sort it out because of all the locked doors! I was even challenged while I waited outside!!
If we hadn't paid the night before, what were we supposed to do, just leave?
The place is in desperate need of refurbishment, with peeling wallpaper, walls which appear to have been partly re-decorated, but not finished. It's a shame really because this could be a fabulous place with a lick of paint and some nicer carpets/wallpaper. The mattress felt like it needed replacing (sprung mattress which didn't spring any more) and the staff need a lesson in smiling!
Overall, a very disappointing experience and not to be recommended.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!