“Overpriced and shabby”
Review of The Tyndrum Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
The Tyndrum Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tyndrum
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and shabby”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of the West Highland Way and it was the only option left available. What a shoddy run down place it is. Totally overpriced for what you get. Spent the first half hour in the room phoning anywhere else near to find an alternative however no luck.
The rooms are not clean and are of terrible quality. Shower head held onto the pole with duck tape. Bed mattresses solid and bent through years of use. The shower was dirty. The furniture is terrible and looks like it was made by a terrible diy'er.
For what I paid for the room I would've expected far more however was out of options. If it was half the price I paid I wouldn't have any complaints however I feel totally ripped off.

I didn't try the menu food however the breakfast was clearly as cheap as possible. My advice, try all you can not to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LordMorrington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel has been taken over by new owners Andy & Jennifer Reily. They have and are spending plenty doing the place up. Nice bright New Bar is really nice and food is fantastic.
The views from the conservatory over to the hills are so relaxing too. Would recommend a weekend here.

Wishing them all the best as its a MAJOR improvement on the old place.

p.s. I have now been x3 and eat there whenever passing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mark a
Southampton
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recommended by our B&B owner. The food was perectly OK. Whist the staff initially did not seem over friendly, they gradually seemed to lighten up and made effiorts to check that we were happy with our meals - which we were.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 9andadog
Oxford
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had been out walking all day in very hot weather and didn't have anywhere booked to stay. As time was pressing, we were keen to get in somewhere, especially as so many B&B's were showing as fully booked.
We were passing The Tyndrum Inn and having passed several times before, decided to give it a go. They had spaces, and let me check the room before committing. I took it because it looked acceptable and we were getting a little anxious that we wouldn't find anywhere else.
This stay got worse as it went along unfortunately. The room was very basic and dark, and I'm not altogether sure how clean it was. The best thing about it was the large flat screen TV, but even the reception on that was poor!
We opted to eat in the restaurant, and the menu looked very appealing. However, the food was terrible.
I had "Highland Mushrooms" as a starter. I was slightly concerned because it just looked like a bowl of grey slop. It was pretty tasteless and didn't seem to reflect the description on the menu at all. My partner ordered deep fried brie which was OK, but how wrong can you go with deep frying something? It came with cranberry jelly - the dollop of jelly on the plate was bigger than the piece of brie!!!
We both ordered rib-eye steaks for our main course. Firstly, the steaks didn't look like rib-eye, more like sirloin (far too thin). We ordered them rare and medium-rare respectively, and at best, they were both cooked at least medium. The chips and onion rings were OK, but a bit greasy.
We ordered a bottle of wine (choice of two white wines) and opted for a Pinot Grigio. It was vile! Something I would clean with windows with! My partner also commented that the Fosters lager wasn't very good either.
We considered complaining, but decided against it because we didn't think it would actually achieve anything.
There was one chap who seemed to be in charge who was very friendly and helpful but seemed to be doing everything himself. The other member of a staff was polite but not very friendly, and there seemed to be other members of staff hanging around the bar demanding to be served ahead of other customers which I found a bit odd.
Breakfast the next morning wasn't much better, served by a slightly sulky waitress and the food appeared to have just been piled up on the plate - there was plenty of it, but all horribly overcooked (chewy bacon, hard egg) and quite greasy. Neither of us finished it.
Check out was a very special experience! I went to load our bags into the car and when I tried to get back in, found all the doors had been locked. My partner was asked to leave at 10am from the room, despite the fact that no-one had advised us of a check out time. When we tried to find someone to get a VAT receipt, there was only the breakfast waitress around and she struggled to sort it out because of all the locked doors! I was even challenged while I waited outside!!
If we hadn't paid the night before, what were we supposed to do, just leave?
The place is in desperate need of refurbishment, with peeling wallpaper, walls which appear to have been partly re-decorated, but not finished. It's a shame really because this could be a fabulous place with a lick of paint and some nicer carpets/wallpaper. The mattress felt like it needed replacing (sprung mattress which didn't spring any more) and the staff need a lesson in smiling!
Overall, a very disappointing experience and not to be recommended.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FloraPink

Travelers are raving about these Tyndrum hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Tyndrum Inn gets higher marks than the room really deserves because it had The Best Pillows in a trip marked by rock hard pillows and sprung mattresses. I slept very well. :D

The room was indeed dreary, but it was quiet: I faced the road and outdoor pub seating, but the window made a soundproof seal. I only met one employee, who worked the day I arrived and then breakfast the next morning, and he was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ridgeley
Scotland
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Driving from Oban to Stirling, we stopped at Tyndrum Inn for a coffee...well it was supposed to be coffee. The proffered liquid came out of a machine in the bar; it had horrible powdered, sweetish milk in it and tasted of nothing other than that. It was undrinkable.
Not realising that my husband had already paid, I went to pay and told the girl behind the bar how disappointed I was. She apologised, as did another girl behind the bar, when yet another person, sitting at the bar demanded to know what was the matter. She then marched to the machine and made a cup of "coffee". I said " I don't want another cup, thankyou." You're not getting one", she replied. She sipped the coffee and said very rudely " Nothing at all wrong with it. Perfectly good coffee" I was amazed. Had she said, politely, " I'm sorry, but I think its fine" I would have disagreed with her, but conceded that she was entitled to her opinion. She then left the bar. Was she the manager, or the owner? If so she needs to do something about her inter-personal skills.The two girls behind the bar took money from the till and gave it to me and apologised again. I said I had come to pay and was prepared to do so even though the coffee was undrinkable. They explained that my husband had already paid, and insisted I had the refund.
Thank goodness we hadn't ordered lunch !!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ExpatAnn
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is not Claridges, but a welcome stop on the West Highland Way.
Place a little rough round the edges but £30 per night
for a basic room including large full breakfast god value.
Bedroom small but with widescreen tv and small spotlessly clean bed.
A good variety of food and drink, not posh stuff but good and tasty when
you've been hiking for hours.
Staff friendly and helpful, bar very lively with good range of drinks and
people enjoying themselves, no drunks or rowdies seen.

Room Tip: If you want a basic ensuite room it costs £40, My room was not ensuite, but no-one else used the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Allan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#5 of 7 in Tyndrum
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy

Been to The Tyndrum Inn? Share your experiences!