“You get what it says on the tin.”
Review of The Royal Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
The Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Tyndrum B&B and Inns
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“You get what it says on the tin.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Despite a few moans and groans from some fellow guests the overall experience of our first 5 day "Highland Heritage" coach tour, based at The Royal Hotel at Tyndrum, lived up to most of our expectations. Basing it purely on value for money it could not be faulted. The coach drivers/couriers tried hard to keep us informed and amused at all times and on the whole nearly succeeded. The organisation of the holiday was run with military precision. We accept that this is not to everyone's taste but appreciate that to operate a viable business within the tariffs that are offered to guests it is obviously crucial to their on-going success. We were kept updated at all times of our 5 day schedule, initially from our coach driver John (true or false?) and then by the hotel manager Alex who extended a very warm welcome upon our arrival. Nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff and management and throughout our stay we were extremely impressed with the efficiency and courteousness off all the hard working team within the hotel. Our room was spacious, comfortable, warm and clean. Meal times were an experience with very varied daily menus, offering a good choice of wholesome, hot and plentiful dishes, always served without any delays between courses by the cheerful and enthusiastic eastern European staff. The evening entertainment offered a variety of musical styles but always managed entice the majority of guest onto the dance floor at some stage. The 3 excursions were very much as we expected and despite the atrocious weather we managed to get a good flavour of the area. At this time of the year we feel that it is advisable go on the organised excursions, as there are limited options to do much else in and around the hotel if the weather is bad. Overall our experience was good. If you pay £120.00 for a 5 day Coach Tour holiday you can't expect the Ritz but what you certainly do get with "Highland Heritage" at The Royal Hotel is exceptional value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
12 Thank Martin G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Royal Hotel was lovely the rooms were very nice the food was excellent the staff were very good, but 1) the hotel did not accept credit or debit cards although you could pay the balance of your holiday by debit card , 2) they started to run out of stock at the hotels bar on the second night and they weren't going to restock as they were closing for 7 weeks they even ran out of lemonade, 3) unfortunately my husband developed an attack of travel sickness while on one of the trips he never made a mess in the coach the relief driver was happy to give us a sick bag and another passenger gave my husband some travel sickness pills which did the trick, Our day of travel to come back arrived our suitcases and hand luggage plus my husbands wheelchair were loaded on the coach i asked the driver for a couple of sick bags as a precaution by now my husband had taken his travel pills and he would be alright as soon as i asked for the sick bags our suitcases and hand luggage were removed from the coach and we were told we could not travel home on the coach because of my husbands travel sickness they told me it was company policy that anyone who was sick would not be aloud to travel on the coach. I then asked the hotel manager how we were going to get home he said by train i was expected to push my husband in his wheelchair pull 2 suitcases and carry 4 lots of hand luggage after a big row with the manager we managed to get the suitcases and hand luggage back on the coach and our friends we were travelling with brought them back for us, I now know just how difficult it is to travel about if you are disabled we were taken to glasgow train station the hotel gave us the fair for the train we had to change trains 3 times to get back home in rush hour travel times if you don't book in advance for travel assistance its very difficult and very stressful for both the person in a wheelchair and the person who has to push it, and all this because my husband had a slight problem with travel sickness which as far as i no is not contagous, still if it had of been highland heritage was quite happy to allow us to come in contact with hundreds of passengers on the way home as opposed to 48 passengers on a coach if you decide to travel with this company go over you paperwork very carefully i still havn't found anything to say they would not let you travel if you are unwell or suffer with travel sickness bareing in mind my husband has never suffered with it before

Room Tip: always book for a premium room they are more expensive but very nice and you get a bit more room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank rottie46
south yorkshire
Reviewed January 5, 2014

just had a 5 day tour to the royal which i must say was value for money.the food was good and served very well.the rooms were comfortable and warm.however,the downside for me was the entertainment was;nt very good,we have stayed here a few times and the entertainers were the same as so we had heard them.the last night however was brilliant a scottish guy called gary had us all laughing and participating in his very funny songs which ended the week brilliantly.one more thing was the change over of coaches,we had:nt done this previously just travelled direct with highland heritage and i think this is a no no and for us i won:t be travelling again with them solely for this reason.our tour coach driver stewart was very knowledgable about the area,overall the holiday was good the manager and staff were excellent so please mr cleaver lets have the old way of travelling direct with highland heritage

Room Tip: we were in room 49 first floor and very satisfied
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tingtong37
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This Tour was really aimed at more mature age ranges and from that point of view was good value for money. The social areas were very large and the dining room was warm and comfortable with plenty of space. The rooms were warm, and although not contemporary, were cosy and comfortable. The bathroom was far too small and definitely needed updating, as the hand basin was still in the bedroom. I also felt that bed linen, whilst it matched the room, would be better white and fresher looking. There were occasions when the heating fluctuated in the middle of the night and day, and on one occasion there was no hot water, but on the whole we were pleasantly warm. This was a Tour which included New Years Eve, so we were fairly disappointed with the entertainment laid on later in the evening. The 'Banquet' was very ordinary and sometimes a bit tasteless. There was a piper who was most excellent and two very good Scottish dancers, but they were only there before dinner and only entertained for a short time. The rest of the entertainment was dire, and the fireworks good but rather short.
Coach trips and the driver were good and very enjoyable. Food was unexciting but usually of good quality and the sherry on arrival for our first dinner was definitely cooking quality.
Staff were very helpful on the whole, but there was only one Scottish member of staff in the whole Hotel. This is not usually a problem to us, but we were expecting a more cultural experience, especially as this was called a Scottish Heritage Holiday! Staff were also very regimented and hardworking and didn't have the time to socialise and chat, which is a very important part of this kind of holiday.
You do need to be aware that there are no telephones in the rooms and there is no Wifi either.
In the end we felt the good points far outweighed the unsatisfactory, but I would not consider a repeat performance of this style of holiday, and do not feel I experienced a real Scottish Hogmanay. Praise though for an excellent last night, when we were brilliantly entertained by a very Scottish Gary!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jaklynba
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with a Highland Heritage Tour. The hotel seemed rather tired in its decor and if the room (No 22) we had was an upgrade to Premium, goodness knows what a standard room was like. Having said this though we cannot fault the staff, who worked really hard to ensure the hotel was clean and tidy; the room was kept clean and tidy, the table service was excellent in the restaurant as was the bar service. We could not fault the food either this was excellent and plentiful at all meals. There were some nice little touches as well. We asked for some decaffinated coffee in the room, this was supplied immediately and kept topped up and at breakfast on the first morning, I asked for coffee instead of tea and this was supplied each morning for the remainder of the stay without further request. The entertainment in the evening was at best mediocre apart from the Wednesday evening, Billy ?, who was brilliant. I hadn't laughed so much for ages and he wasn't blue either. The excursions were generally good, Crieff in particular. We could have done with missing out the Highland Concert. The group, Skippinnish were good but seemed more interested in promoting their CD and we expected more than 1 Scottish dancer and somebody not so young (under 10), although she was very good although looking terrified! On reflection, we would probably not go with this company again, despite their prices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hurribear
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My dad and I went on a 6 day 5 night holiday here. When we eventually arrived there the manager got on the coach to greet us and told us if we needed anything to just ask. We were put in rooms on the 'half floor' which have no lift access and unfortunately my dad has mobility problems so immediately fell up the stairs to the rooms. I went to speak to the manager about changing rooms and his reply was ' did you tell us about this when you booked?' considering my dad had had to pay extra health insurance and had his walking frame listed as luggage this was pretty obvious. He was quite rude and abrupt and I witnessed him speaking to other guests in this way during the holiday. Thankfully a member of staff sorted it out for us. My dad was moved and I was told in no uncertain terms I would not have the room next to him any longer. They then dumped his cases outside of the new room. The rooms were very outdated and the pillow was very thin and smelt disgusting. The food was ok but not really much choice. The trips out were ok for me but my dad struggled a few times with broken pavements and pebbled pathways. The day is very regimented and the day of the optional trip we had to get up early for breakfast whether we were going or not. Fortunately we chose not too as I was told by other guests there were lots of stairs where they went so my dad wouldn't have been able to manage anyway. We weren't told this by the hotel beforehand. The staff were lovely and very hardworking although I would have thought a highland heritage holiday would at least include some Scottish staff. I would not return to this hotel again. It seems to be centred towards older people but if you have any mobility problems I would not recommend it at all. All in all it was an experience I don't wish to repeat and neither does my dad!

• Stayed October 2013
14 Thank tracepurple
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Hotel is beautiful, food is excellent, staff work amazingly hard, coach drivers are brilliant felt very safe. Rooms are shabby, stayed in room 82 not sure bedding had been changed, did not smell clean and that is an upgrade room. Excellent value for money. Trip to highland concert was introduced by the hotel owner "IAN" I think the whole audience was disgusted by his joke of "run to nearest exit if a helicopter lands on roof" In view of the dreadful Glasgow disaster and the services still searching for bodies at that time both myself and my mother were horrified!!! For this reason alone I would never travel with highland heritage again.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Sawtry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#6 of 7 in Tyndrum
Inverardran Guest House
Inverardran Guest House
#3 of 10 in Crianlarich

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!