“a wee oasis of fabbyness”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
Strathfillan Wigwams
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“a wee oasis of fabbyness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

After a long, hard and wet trek as part of the West Highland Way, this magnificent wee establsihment was like paradise. On arriving late we simply had to knock at the bungalow, pay our camping fees (very reasonable, I think around £11 for two) and then we had the use of the facilities. A great hot shower and then use of the kitchen/diner/sitting area. This was well equiped with cooking facilities, fridge, crockery, pots, pans etc and the washing machine and tumble drier were a welcome bonus. It was great to just chill out with the heater on and get your kit organised. We spent most of the evening in there - beats sitting in a soggy tent.
The wee farm shop opened in the morning and it was well stocked and served hot food. Although we just stopped over for one night, it looked a great place for stopping longer and exploring the great outdoors all around. Would certainly recommend for other West Highland Way walkers as it is directly on-route and seems like the Ritz when you've been roughing it for a few days prior.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Well, I really can't understand where the negative feedback came from - maybe the site just wasn't as expected? It seems to be mainly used for those walking the West Highland Way as a stop over point but the shop is very well stocked with some 'exotic meats' - we had the buffalo sausages on the BBQ - delish! The shop is well stocked, showers and toilets are clean and the wigwams are really well sited so you don't feel like you're on a typical 'pack em in' site.
There are some great walks from the site, not all of them leading to Glasgow / Fort William. The cook / washroom is well stocked too.
Add great weather, what more could you want?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed two nights in a large wigwam. The wigwam has a fridge, heater and power points. The elecrticity is NOT coin metered like some other sites. All the wigwams have fire pits and picnic tables, great for outdoor dining! The site is in a very good location with plenty to explore. The cook house and toilets/showers were also clean and very handy for our wigwam. There is an onsite shop which also sells filled rolls etc.
We are not seasoned campers and have only been "glamping" a couple of times but had a great wee holiday!

Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The wigwam was very clean warm and comfortable,it was great being able to have a fire outside, which our 14, year old son was in charge of,we sat up till late around the fire, the wigwam was a lot better than camping

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marcolq
Galashiels, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay with the kids. We chose a lodge rather than the wigwam this time - giving us our own loo, shower and kitchenette. It was so toasty with the wee heater on as we watched the now fall on the mountains outside our door. Very beautiful and picturesque.
The site is really handy for Loch Lomond, Falls of Dochart, and Glencoe Ski centre. Lots of lovely wee villages to visit too.
Everything was clean and well maintained. We cooked on the open fire every night, buying our logs etc from a well stocked on-site shop and cafe.
Good value for money too.
Only hiccup for us was the bunk beds were handmade, and although extremely sturdy and roomy, the top bunk was considerably higher than normal bunk beds and had no sides/rails. My big 8 year felt it was too high and scary, so the adults ended up in the bunks and the kids on the flat beds!!! And it was quite a climb up there each night!

Room Tip: Next time we will try a wigwam, but for first timers, might be best with a lodge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Coatbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for the easter weekend for 3 nights. We stayed in a large wigwam for £40 a night. This comes with a heater, a fridge/freezer and several power points. The only thing missing which we usually get in the wigwam was a kettle, however there are two kitchens with kettles in. The owners are lovely and sell some very extraordinary meats in their shop, we bought some venison burgers and some alpaca sausages very yummy. They have fire wood and kindling for the fire pit which every wigwam has along with a table and chairs. They have two kitchens which are fully equipt with a seating area, there is a tv room and several toilets and showers. We walked from the wigwam site to Tyndrum Lower station for a trip to oban which took us about an hour and a half and was a lovely walk. Altogether we had a lovely weekend and would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have to admit, I had no idea that glamping was actually a serious thing until I was dragged to Strathfillan Wigwams one weekend by an overly-enthusiastic-to-die-of-the-cold Irishman. Sitting at home in my Edinbugh flat with a cat on my lap and the central heating on full blast, you can imagine how reluctant I was to leave the house atall, let alone go to the back of beyond.
Yet, I still found myself being woken at half six on the saturday morning (WHY?!?!? ITS ONLY TWO HOURS AWAY), and dragged into the car kicking and screaming. When we arrived, after a beautiful drive up (and far too many cups of coffee) the snow was floating down and covering everything with a glittery sheen, but yet the sky still managed to stay blue. I have always found whenever I go to the highlands of Scotland there is a certain light that is found no-where else in the world, and it never fails to capitvate me.
We pulled up out side the shop, which was charmingly called 'The Apache Cookhouse' (my comanion was safe to say NOT amused by the constant John Wayne impressions said sign inspired) and was welcomed into the warmth by a man who seemed to remind me of everybodys grandfather I have ever met, so I instantly took a liking to him. We were signed-in in record time, and soon on our way to our wigwam.
I have one wort to describe how walking into the wigwam felt : warm.
I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was so warm and comfortable and lovely that I almost fell asleep the minute I put my bag down. After a quick detour to the Holy Pool of St Fillan, which was just down the road, and a bit of hippie dippy spirituality, we headed back to the shop and hired our cooking equipment for the night.As the pots and frying pan and kettle were made out of solid iron, all of the bones in my arm seemed to suddenly become jelly, so unfortunately (dont judge me) I was forced to let the man do all the work. Which, to be fair, was only taking the bits and bobs to the car which was parcked right outside.
On a side note, kudu cooked on an iron frying pan over an open fire is second best only to tea boiled on said open fire.
The next day we left well rested and well fed, and to be overly-sentemental, I rather missed the place as we drove away.
Next excuse I can find, I'll be down there like a shot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#6 of 7 in Tyndrum
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy

Been to Strathfillan Wigwams? Share your experiences!