“Dont be fooled by the welcome”

Dalkell Cottage Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
Dalkell Cottage Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 Tyndrum B&B and Inns
needham market
“Dont be fooled by the welcome”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

You dont get much choice when you are walking the West Highland Way but i would suggest you give this establishment a miss.Guest houses dont come a lot more basic than this we all had very cramped rooms and either had to share facilities or go across the corridor to a bath room that had a shower that failed to give enough hot water a bath would have been impossible.I would suggest that the owners are cramming in as many guest to make a fast buck and retire.early.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank crackermean

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I can only echo the comments of Lulu Walker, one year on from her review. I was walking the West Highland Way with friends and our package included a night in this Guest House on the 24th May. My husband had stayed here a few years ago and had recommended it highly. However since then Chris and Angela Sclater have taken it over. We were told to wait outside until Chris dealt with two guests who had arrived just before us. We were barred from entry until we had removed rucksacks and boots, baggage to be left outside. Two by two we were frogmarched through to the 'boot room' to leave our boots overnight, marched through to the dining room and told to sit while we filled out our breakfast requests. We were then informed that we would be having breakfast at 7.30 am as they could only do six breakfasts at one time. We were then shown our en-suite room, which had no toilet or sink, but a shower cubicle open to the bedroom. The bedroom was so small that we could hardly turn around. When I queried the "en-suite" facilities, Chris said I would have to take this up with his wife Angela, who allocated rooms. After padding back outside in stockinged feet to collect my bag and rucksack, I showed Angela the confirmation we had received from our holiday company stating that myself and five friends had been booked into 3 twin en-suite rooms and she proceeded to berate me, telling me that I had the best room in the house which was specifically requested by my holiday company. She then said I should take it up with them if I was unhappy. As all my accomodation had been prepaid and I was very tired, I left it at that. For breakfast I had asked for bacon and scrambled egg, which consisted of one slice of bacon and a spoonful of egg. One of my party asked for her fried egg to be turned, to which Angela replied, "My husband does not turn eggs, they stick to the grill.". That sentence summed up their atttude to guests, they feel that they are doing you a favour by taking you in rather that providing a service to you. I will be writing to Visit Scotland regarding this Guest House as well as asking my holiday company for a rebate on the tariff I paid for this.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank irenecromack

Travelers are raving about these Tyndrum hotels

Bordeaux
Reviewed December 11, 2009

At first, we were delighted with this B&B but unfortunately things went downhill very quickly.
We were given a cottage at the back of the house with two rooms and a small kitchen, which was nice because our daughter was only 10 months old and could nap while we were sitting in the winter garden.

However, the shower had no hot water and I reported this to the landlady the next morning. Someone came to have a look at it and promised to have it repaired while we were out for the day. When we returned in the late afternoon, we had been moved to a very small room in the house with the explanation that it would take a while to fix the shower. The room was tiny, the bathroom even tinier and didn't compare well to the spacious cottage.
Then we found out that a couple had been placed in the cottage - who were enjoying the winter garden while we had to sit in the common garden while our daughter was napping. I think we should have been offered a discount for this unreasonable room exchange.
When we came back to Glasgow where we had a flat for the summer, we found out that our deposit had been taken twice and I had phone twice and write two emails to get it back. It might have been a mistake, but to be honest I believe it had been done deliberately in the hope that we wouldn't notice.
Nothing like that ever happened to me while holidaying in any part of the UK in over 20 years so it leaves quite a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank KeziaBurnell
Scotland
Reviewed June 24, 2009

On arrival at Dalkell we were marched round to the back of the house and ordered to remove our shoes and backpacks while still outside (bad luck if it's raining!). We then had to listen while the owner gave us lists of things to do and not do, after which we were taken into the dining room and told to sit down and fill out our breakfast menu. We had just walked 15 miles, were hot, tired and thirsty and desperate to get to our rooms. But no, we then had to settle our bill! After about 20 mins we were shown to our rooms.
The room I shared with a friend was so small there was no room for my case on the floor and even more amazing at the foot of my bed with about 18 inches gap was the shower cubicle! The hospitality tray was very minimal and the "dry room" where we had to leave our boots failed to dry my socks overnight as there was no heating in there!
The website boasts of hearty breakfasts for walkers, well there was plenty of cereals but the cooked was minimal portions even if you were only having one or two items.
We felt that dalkell cottage was more about making money and not much emphasis on giving a warm welcome and providing a comfortable overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank LuluWalker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#2 of 7 in Tyndrum
Dalmally Hotel
Dalmally Hotel
#4 of 6 in Dalmally

Been to Dalkell Cottage Guest House? Share your experiences!