“Friendly service makes up for small-ish rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dalkell Cottage Guest House

Dalkell Cottage Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
Dalkell Cottage Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 Tyndrum B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Friendly service makes up for small-ish rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

When you first get here, you might think the rooms are a bit cramped and a little dated. Even the en-suite room is pretty small. But, the hosting more than made up for it when we visited last week - Chris was a great guy and very welcoming indeed. The breakfast was great, and it was so nice to have the large living room to relax in after a long day's walking.

The rooms themselves are adequate, without being anything special, but the whole place is kept nice and neat, and the hosts have done all they can with the place.

It's really near the Real Food Co fish bar, which is worth a visit too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
alshfer
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Conveyor-belt B&Bing at its worst. Charmless, soulless, functional, utilitarian, parsimonious. The concept of welcoming hospitality is utterly lacking. Not a semblance of warmth, in either of its meanings (by 1900 in one of the wettest, dankest Septembers on record, the central heating had been shut down and the gas fire in the guests' sitting room disabled). The overriding impression given is that the bare minimum shall be provided to paying guests. And TINY. By chance I caught a glimpse inside the garden shed, considerably bigger than our room! The Flymo and the Hayter were luxuriating in space my wife & I could only dream of. It comes as no surprise that this establishment is currently ranked the lowest of 6 B&Bs in the village. The owners are in dire need of a refresher course in what standards are the norm elsewhere nowadays.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank alshfer
Twickenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We found this B and B to be adequate but not special. The rooms were small and we felt squeezed in. The sitting room was good and we were pleased to be able to play Scrabble and watch TV. The breakfast provided us with lunch as we were given 2 croisants and some cheese which kept us going till supper on the West Highland Way.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was travelling with a group of cyclists on route to Oban from Glasgow. ( I was the driver of the recovery vehicle ). When we arrived, we all got a very warm and friendly welcome. After completing our breakfast request forms, we were shown to our rooms.
They all varied in size. I had a room to myself (room 6) which was just the right size for me. It has a very comfortable single bed, nice clean shower and wash hand basin with three clean towels for my use.
My one night stay at Dalkell Cottage gave me what was very possibly the best night's sleep I've had outwith the comforts of my own bed. I awoke at 6am to the sound of birds singing and when I opened the curtains, I was rewarded with a very beautiful view of one of the nearby hills with the sun already shining. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.
After a nice warm shower I went for breakfast. I was a little early but was made welcome and watched the TV for a short while. I stood at the large window and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the friendly wave I got from people as they walked along the road. The breakfast was just the right portion size for me, it was warm and feshly cooked and the cereal was abundant.
Chris was extremely helpful with regards to local knowledge and suggested where we could get an evening meal.
On the whole, I would say that Dalkell Cottage Guest House is a clean, friendly and warm place to recover from the Scottish weather and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Have a look at the photo's of the rooms and, if in doubt, call or email Chris to make sure you g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew R
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a nice friendly clean place,the bedroom we had was just done up so was very pleasant.The breakfast was very good and filling and the owners very nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scotlass123
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I would throughly recommend staying at Dalkell Cottage. Angela and Chris are exceptional hosts and will do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were clean, fabulously warm and the breakfast was hearty.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicola B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

After being stranded in Tyndrum on a rainy February morning, this lovely copule took us in and provided us with clean and warm rooms. They also dished up a hearty breakfast without having to do so! Scottish hospitality at it's best. The rooms are basic but have everything you need and the lounge is large and comfortable. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hilde M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#1 of 11 in Crianlarich
Crianlarich Youth Hostel
Crianlarich Youth Hostel
#3 of 4 in Crianlarich

Been to Dalkell Cottage Guest House? Share your experiences!