“Ghastly lunch”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Ghastly lunch”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stopped for a late lunch at this hotel which looked nice, clean and recently renovated. We both opted for the soup and sandwich combo. How can something so simple be so bad? The soup was supposed to be mushroom. However, I suspect it may have been a powdered mix as the taste was far from mushroom flavour. The texture was like wallpaper paste. Needless to say, I couldn't eat it. We asked for the chicken and bacon club sandwich on brown bread. What we got was nasty, cheap white bread and a sandwich badly put together. Hardly any chicken or bacon and nothing else. A bit of mayo dressing would have helped. Totally tasteless. Only one member of staff present who appeared to be in a total flap. If you are thinking of stopping here food, don't expect freshness and quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sue B
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am happy to read that you like the decor and condition of the hotel, we do put a lot of time and effort in to keeping it as clean and well maintained as possible.

I am very disappointed to read that you had a less than enjoyable experience with you lunch and for that I cannot apologise enough. I have discussed at great length this incident with the kitchen team and they have been left in no doubt that this fell well below our usual high standard of performance.

The Head chef has conducted a thorough retraining of the Lunch staff to ensure that the preparation, taste and presentation of all the lunch dishes match his high standards.

I hope you will take the opportunity to call back and allow me to make up for this unfortunate situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Polish first
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at the Tarbet Hotel from 5th to 9th May on a Shearings holiday.We really enjoyed our stay in this lovely old hotel. It is in need of some updating but is spotlessly clean and offered a good variety of food both for breakfast and the evening meal.
The room was really large and we had a great view of Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond( we upgraded for this). There was plenty of hot water when we needed it and our room was really comfortable.
The staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for you.
Thanks to you all for a great holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 130 with a view of the Loch
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandraCarl
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the deal such good value for money, we also agree that the deals that are on at the moment represent fantastic value for money!!!

I will pass on your lovely comments to all the staff and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sheringham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Really one disaster after another. Great room with view of the loch which we paid extra £42 for. The windows were steamed up all the time. Spent ages using towels to clean them and see out. Have diet problems and no help given at all - unlike Bay hotel at Strathpeffer who couldn't have been more help. Told no fruit basket and to buy my own fruit for breakfast. Bedtime came and my bed was broken - how could the chambermaid not noticed on making the bed? We had to creep down the corridor in pyjamas and use another room. On changing the bed the next day the staff were careful not to use the Hoover in the room. Food was awful and waitress got my husbands breakfast order wrong 2 out of 3 mornings. No alternatives offered and no help given. No fun at all.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for loch view if you plan to use the shower. Many rooms are not double glazed an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coffdrop60
Dear Reviewer,

Having read your comments regarding your stay, I would like to take the opportunity to clarify the following points:

Unfortunately the extraction fan in your bathroom was not switched on (the switch is next to the light switch) and as such the room was bound to fill with some degree of condensation or steam as a result. Had you passed on your concerns, we would have remedied that very quickly for you.
The Bed that you mention was not reported as being broken before check-in time and as such we are unsure as to when the bed suffered the damage. From the checks taken in the morning, there appeared to be no issue with the bed at that time and the room was cleaned for your arrival. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused but unfortunately sometimes these situations do come up and I am glad to read that you were moved to another room while the situation was quickly resolved.

We have a very good reputation for ensuring that all types of dietary request are dealt with sympathetically and ensure that the person is given ample choice. If you had any issues I am sure the staff would have been more than happy to help. Having had the opportunity to speak to your server, I have never heard of a staff member tell a guest to buy their own fruit, it’s just not what they would say at any stage and totally out of character with the reputation they have earned. In fact there was a wide selection of fruit available on each of the morning, which you declined.

I am glad to read that my phone call to the Highland to notify them of some of the concerns you expressed to us at the end of your stay paid off. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with them.

birmingham
Reviewed May 11, 2014

As I have been on numerous shearings holidays before basically I knew what to expect. The location of the hotel cannot be faulted, literally on the shores of loch, as I had not been to Scotland before I was unsure, quite what to expect.

Check in at the hotel was quick and painless, we were allocated a room on the second floor with a side view of the loch, beware, the lift is small and can only hold five people at a time, and the area where the lift is situated is quite dark.

the room was large, light and spacious, other than the carpet shows signs of wear, it was fine, the bathroom you could see had been recently refurbished everything worked as it should and there was plenty of hot water. The hotels rooms are very, very warm but I would much rather be hot than cold, and the windows worked which solved that problem.

The food is ok, breakfast is mainly served by the waitress, just help yourself to cereals, juice, and porridge but there was no yogurts.
Each evening there was choice of a meat, fish, salad dish, also the special of the day.

At I had not been to Scotland before I would like to thank both shearings drivers Jimmy and Graham, for all their local knowledge and the banter between the two of them, especially enjoyed the guided tour of Glasgow.

Would also recommend a lock cruise, the jetty is only over the road, from the hotel.

The hotel is, or was, when I was there populated mainly by users of shearings coaches, unfortunately when I went two coaches had to be merged leaving the hotel only half full.

Only sampled the entertainment on Thursday night, too tired from sightseeing other days, Robbie, I think, tried very hard with the amount of people in the room, to create a good atmosphere and was quite funny.

Would I go again, we'll after going to Scotland once I shall definitely return and this hotel is a strong contender, did nt have time to sample the trains coastal route.

Thanks to the hotel staff and Shearings.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, of the loch, if possible,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I will pass on all of your comments to the staff involved, they will be very happy to hear the feedback. I also thank you for your kind comments regarding our excellent drivers who try to ensure that you are enlightened and informed of the lovely scenery we have around us.

Sorry to hear that you were not made aware of the placing of the yoghurts, they are kept refrigerated at all times and are available on request

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We ended our tour of the Isle of the Skye and was driving back to London when we stopped over at Bay Tarbet Hotel for the night. We arrived late and the hotel restaurant was closing, and the staff were kind enough to serve us dinner. Food was healthy as there was little oil and salt in it. As we arrived late, we missed all the nice views as shown in pictures contributed by other TA reviewers. We like the hotel because it was full of guests and this hotel reminded us of a similar hotel in Alumeneca, Southern Spain, however the latter was not housed in an ancient building; but like the Bay Tarbet, the hotel in Alumeneca also had many activities available for guests to participate. Bay Tarbet is indeed a happy place to be in. Acknowledging the fact that the building is more than 300 years old, yes, reburbishment or upgrading of the rooms is definitely a must as we found our room and the ensuite bathroom very old. It was not whether the taps or the shower or the flush were in working order or not, but it was the look. The TV really needs to be changed. We just felt that we had gone back in time for at least 3 decades, if not more. Other than the above, with its close proximity to Loch Lomon (this we noticed) and the nice views it offers(according to photos contributed by other TA reviewers) , its good service and the people-factor that creates happiness, Bay Tarbet is not-too-bad a choice.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jedai79
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your brief stay with us, we hope that you will visit Scotland and us again sometime, Maybe even stay longer!!

All the best!!
Harrogate
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed here over night while having to break up a long journey for work. First impressions of the hotel were amazing, from public areas to bedrooms to views that looked that there were from Austria. Staff were friendly, polite and most helpful.

I met the manager while I was there and he pointed me and my colleagues to the local hot spots for the UCL. On our way back we popped in to see the entertainment which was great, Jay Jackson I think he was called.

There were lots of variety at the bar and they served my favour drink on draught (Guinness).

Would I come back?........ Only if Ronnie (the manager) would let me.

Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: Don't grumble for the price you've paid
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Luke B
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I will pass on your comments to all concerned.

Would we let you back??? Of course we would, hope you will darken our door again in the near future even if it is just to see the local attractions!!!

Take care and all the best!!
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a Shearing's tour and thoroughly enjoyed it, the food was good and varied, the weather was excellent that particular wheel, I was very lucky, the staff were excellent, the tour was everything I expected and more. The Hotel being right opposite Loch Lomond was absolutely wonderful, I just walked across the road and there I was standing besides one of the most beautiful waterways in Great Britain...I was out at dawn, strolled along at dusk walked through the many little wooded areas and along the gorgeous streamlets there, I visited the vister centre at the other side of the Loch with the coach tour...there was so much beauty too take in gazing at Ben Lomond with its ice cap is right opposite the hotel...the only down side of this holiday was the awful room I had because I was a solo traveller it is not unusual for me to get a bad room, so that was the usual treatment I get, I have stayed at this hotel before with my husband and had a lovely room, one day hotels will do it have nice rooms for a solo traveller...I didn't let this little blimp spoil my wonderful holiday I had free drinks at the bar each day with my 4 drinks a day voucher of which saved me a lot of money and I enjoyed the very high standard of entertainment each night especially Jay Jackson who had an absolutely wonderful voice...top stuff the entertainment at this hotel, whilst up here with Shearing's holiday I visited Loch Long, The Rest and be Thankful mountains, Glasgow and the Clyde villages, Inveraray and other coastal regions enjoyed all of it..a wonderful spring break.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank 983joans
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent visit to the Tarbet Hotel.

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found both the location and the hotel to be to your enjoyment. I will pass on your lovely comments to all the staff, who I am sure will be delighted.

I am however, a little disappointed with your comments regarding your room, I don’t think that we penalise single people at all and should the issues you state you had with your room have been brought to our attention, I am sure we could have looked at this for you.

We hope to welcome you back to the Tarbet in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!