“wife's 60th”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Irvine, United Kingdom
“wife's 60th”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We went to tarbet hotel for my wife's 60th begining march ..We arrived on the fri night to be welcomed with friendly girl on desk,to be handed with voucher for 4 free drinks each for sat.Staff in restaurant very friendly we had very nice Spanish girl waitress meals were very nice and tasty.When we went to bar staff were friendly.Room was clean and tidy plenty tea coffee and milk.Only down side was fan outside window on early morning this did not bother us much . Had lunch in bar cannot recommend enough for value .Enjoyed nice wee break. Big thanks to all staff at hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

A big thank you for this kind review, I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed your wife’s special occasion with us and found it to be such excellent value for money. The package you booked has proved to be a really popular break and, as you have stated, is well recommended.

I will pass on your lovely comments to all the staff involved, I’m sure they will be overjoyed to read that they made such an impression especially Toni, your waitress, who is an excellent asset to the hotel.

We hope to see you back at the Tarbet very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here last year while working in the area for long periods of time through the week. The staff are fantastic and very helpful, from the restaurant to the reception. The Location is outstanding, and the food was adequate. However, I feel the Hotel needs a major upgrade.I stayed at the rear of the hotel, in what appears to be an extension. The decor is very outdated, with equipment such as the TV and phone needing replaced with more modern systems. I wouldn't normally complain, but as I was alone, a modern TV was digital reception for a Scottish network would have been nice. There is also no Wifi, however there is a BT hotspot nearby which requires payment. The shower also did not work in several rooms during my stay and was often dirty, but after speaking to staff, they soon moved me to a new room and were very apologetic about it. The lift is also shockingly uneasy to be in.
The bar is well priced, and the food in the restaurant was nothing special and never changed weekly. I was also perplexed when a waitress asked if Id like to be seated with other people at there table!!! Im sure they didn't want a stranger joining them on there holiday!!!
After about two weeks, I had enough and was relocated to other hotel in the area. Apart from the staff, the hotel is a disappointment and does not take any advantage of its surrounding area!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Woody1992
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, they certainly are a friendly group and go out of their way to help wherever and whenever they can.

We continue to progress with the modernisation of areas of the hotel, with significant changes made over the past few years. It is a delicate process as we have to juggle the need for improvement with the character of the hotel. This 300 year old plus building has a unique design and ambience which could easily be lost without careful thought when moving the hotel forward.

It’s unfortunate that you had some issues during your stays, however had the further issues you state you encountered during your stays been reported to us I am sure they would have be dealt with efficiently and promptly as it was on the first occasion when you received a room not up to the standard of cleanliness expected. We have a 6 channel freesat system in place as we do not have any digital signal in to the hotel and are unable to receive one due to the surrounding area.

Our standard Table d’ote is changed on a regular basis and when this is not the case, there is always additional special menu options available every day.

Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

we have just arrived home after a two day break at this hotel ,,and can truthfully say it was really enjoyable, the room was ideal ,neat and tidy, the staff were excellent we had diane serve at our table a really friendly girl and really pleasant, reception and bar staff also very friendly,the food was good how anyone could not appreciate the really good breakfast is beyond me,and finally the entertainment was really good,will we return ,yes, would we recommend you visit it ,yes.

2 Thank alex2337
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your very kind and complimentary review.

I am glad to read that you found your stay with us an enjoyable one. I will pass on your lovely comments to all the staff involved, especially Diane who is a real gem!

Theses short breaks represent tremendous value for money and it is good to see that you have appreciated that fact. We hope to welcome you back in the near future and thank you for your recommendation.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed at this hotel via a Shearings holiday. The hotel is very nice and has a lot of character, some areas have been updated while other areas have not, the bar area is pleasant and also the area to the right of the reception desk. The lounge to the left of reception is also very nice although it did have a strange odour about it!! Also beware, creaking floorboards throughout the hotel, just adds to the quirkiness.The room we had was 123, we had to pay extra for this room because it has scenic views (it was the only room left when we booked the holiday) yes the views were lovely and the room was very spacious but £10pppn extra was a little over the top. The meals were good with a choice of several dishes at breakfast and evening time, the portions may have appeared on the small side but were adequate, at breakfast you had unlimited cereal & porridge and even in the rooms the tea,coffee & milk were everlasting. Staff at the hotel were all hardworking although sometimes in the dining room food orders got a little mixed up but there was always a happy ending. An enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Room 123. You pay extra for this room only because of the views it has. The room itself is very spac...
1 Thank trevoryellow
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review. It’s good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us

Room 123 is a lovely room with excellent views of the surrounding countryside and the loch, I am glad you appreciated the views as they are spectacular!!! The hotel is over 300 years old and She does groan a little sometimes, but as you said, that just adds to the character or personality of this beautiful Baronial style building.

I will pass on your comments regarding the service in the restaurant to ensure that this is looked at and these issues do not become a regular event.
I hope you will come and visit us again.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Just spent 5 days on a Shearings trip, excellent value for money. The hotel is a lovely old manor house with plenty of character, we had a lovely room 203, which had a view of the loch, the room was very comfortable and extremely warm, and clean, dont be put off by other reviews. The restaurant was first class, as was the superb entertainment every evening. The staff were very friendly and go all out to please the guests.

The only complaint was that other guests were very rude by talking very loud whilst the artist was on stage, there are plenty of other areas were people can sit and talk. perhaps this coud be addressed by somebody having a quiet word when this happens.
The whole experience was very enjoyable and I would return again

Room Tip: Room 203 has a walk in shower, room 205 is bigger but no walk in shower
1 Thank annarachel1924
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post this very good review.

I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed yourself during your stay and everything met with your satisfaction and more.

I totally agree with your regarding the few bad reviews we sometimes get, I would urge everyone interested in coming to try it for themselves and I am sure, like you, they will be very happy with the level of value for money and service they receive.

I hope to see you again at the Tarbet in the near future.
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Before I start with any negative points I would just like to point out that the rooms my friends and I rented were very cheap, which is helpful when you are on a tight budget, however there are a couple of things that I feel are worth mentioning.

1) Dirty showers - staying for 2 days at the hotel in question, in room 118, upon arrival the wall of the shower above waist height was filthy, as in you can run your finger across it and it comes away black filthy. This was not cleaned during the second day either.

2) Breakfast - poor! My friends and I stayed at a number of hotels and b&b's during our visit and this hotel provided the worst breakfast by a long shot. The coffee was just black water!

3) Dirty rooms - again whilst in room 118 my friend happened to knock his phone down the back of a radiator, after looking at the patch of floor it landed on there was serious consideration given to just leaving it there, it was filthy with several cigarette butts present on the floor.

4) Possibility of being murdered by a crazed axe man called Johnny! (Just to end on a funny note) the hotel is pretty big and has a crazy layout, we all came to the conclusion that it felt like something out of the shining!

The positives!

1) The rooms were cheap
2) With access to a car there are a number of great sites nearby for walking and exploring.
3) Bar prices at the hotel are acceptable should you choose to stay in one evening.

Useful info
Wifi is only available in the lobby and bar as far as I could tell. It may be available in room for more expensive rooms but I don't know.

This hotel would have scored average, but I knocked it down a mark because of the dirty rooms/showers. Cheap or not these are real basics in my book.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I’m glad to read that you found the base ideal for your exploring, we are very fortunate to be well placed for touring the local areas and places like Oban, Glasgow and Fort William are only between 1 & 1 ½ hours away.

I totally agree that regardless of price, cleanliness is a minimum expectation. The Rooms are serviced on a daily basis by our housekeeping staff and I apologise if on this occasion they did not service your room to our usual high standard. It certainly upsets me to read that you found cigarette butts behind a radiator as the hotel operates a strict no smoking policy in every bedroom!!

Breakfast is usually well received by the vast majority of our guests and I am sorry to hear that you did not find this to your liking. Douwe Egberts is a very popular brand of coffee and I am surprised that it did not meet your expectations, had you mentioned to the restaurant staff any of your concerns, I’m positive they would have been more than happy to resolve them as best they could for you.

Regarding "The Shining" reference, I am not aware of any "Shining" type moments in the hotel, but if I see "RED RUM" scribbled on any walls I will let you know!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Spent 5 days holiday here with Shearings Coach It's a beautiful old building lovely big bedroom food was good service was ok some waitress better than others. Entertainment at night was good altogether a nice break.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank margaret m
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your comments to all the staff involved.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Loch Long Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!