“Nice surroundings for a bite to eat”
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

Bay Tarbet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice surroundings for a bite to eat”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stopped off at this Hotel for a snack & drink as we were limited for time.
The bar/dining area is well presented and both the menu and seating area are quite modern and tasteful. The menu has the usual that seems to be on all the menus in the surrounding areas nothing out of the ordinary but what we did get was plentiful and well presented.
A nice place to stop for a pleasant drink and some food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review about your dining experience with us.

I'm glad to see that you found the meals well presented and the lots of it, I'm also happy to read that you found our refurbished bar lounge are to be to your liking.

We hope you will drop in again for something to eat or even for a short/long break.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
Gretna, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed over Xmas from 23rd to 27th .This is our 3rd Xmas stay at this hotel and we were just as pleased on this occasion as we were on our two previous visits.
The staff,without exception are a credit to the hotel and it is thanks to the efforts of Ronnie and Kirstie that the entire 5 days ran smooth .
All meals were waiter service and were of a very high standard,with more than enough to eat.Good quality produce was used and everything arrived at our table fresh and hot.(big thanks to our waiter John)
Entertainment is such an individual thing and therefore was not to everybody's liking.However, it was laid on for us every night and there were plenty of seats for everybody,with quieter areas throughout the hotel should you wish to use them.
We upgraded to a room at the front of the hotel,with loch views.Our room 123 was large,well maintained and cleaned and presented to a very high standard.Think our housekeeper was called Ian(sorry if I've got this wrong) but a big thanks to you for your work over Xmas.
Anybody,considering a Xmas stay in this area of Scotland,should give the This hotel some serious thought.We have previously paid a lot more for a lot less and would recommend the Tarbet and it's fantastic staff to everybody
Thanks again to you all.See you Xmas 2014
Terry & Margaret - Gretna

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry W
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

It's great to read that you enjoyed your Christmas stay with us, it's such a special time of the year and for you to have had such a fantastic time is always good to hear,
I will pass your very kind comments on to all the staff and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again next Christmas.

Take care and we will hopefully see you soon
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

After having read the reviews to this hotel, I was obviously concerned about what I had let myself in for. Having returned from my break just 3 days ago, I would just like to say what a lovely time we have just had. Would like to say a big thank you to Dominque in the restaurant and Ricky our room cleaner, what two lovely people, infact couldn't fault any of the staff. Food was good and yes floors were very creaky but we found it very funny and added to the whole experience in the hotel. If your looking for peace and quiet this is the place to go. Would certainly go back again!!

Lorraine & Lesley (Lincolnshire)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 83jemma
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I’m glad that you chose to take the opportunity to visit us and draw your own conclusion and opinion on our hotel and standards

I will pass on your lovely comments to all those mentioned, I’m sure they will be very happy to hear such high praise.

We hope to see your return to the Tarbet Hotel
Sutton on Sea. UK
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from trip with Shearings. Cleanliness,staff everything but meals very good. Food was dreadful. Breakfasts were plentiful.The taste I cannot comment on as I only had porridge( hot) and toast which was always served cold as it was hanging around before being served The evening dinner was mostly disgusting on every night. Of my choices 3 were inedible and all were served lukewarm. Worst was the one with a concoction of Haggis. The presentation resembled a huge ,3 in thick by 4 inch lump of shepherds pie with a trickle of gravy.This was again lukewarm as were all the evening meals. The second worst were some things resembling fish fingers but classed as some connection with turkey. They were nearly cold and seemed to be uncooked.The veg served was a nice surprise as it all looked fresh and was fairly hot.The best offering was grilled ham slice which was good but also only lukewarm. The sweets ( although sounding nice)were obviously very cheap frozen served with exceedingly thin ,tastless,watery custard. Coffee and tea were self service and mostly luke warm as flasks were put out before entering for dinner. No labels or any indication of contents of flasks so consequently a lot was poured and wasted. Exceedingly poor after my experience in Shearings. Eastbourne.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank eenide
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I am glad to read that you thought our hotel was nice and you found the staff to also be good.

I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us and can only apologise for the poor service you appear to have received. I have passed these comments on to our food service team for immediate investigation.

I am sure that if these issues were raised with our management team at the time, we would have done everything to resolve these issues for you. The vast majority of the guests who dine with us do enjoy it and compliment the food.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Booked a self-drive to the Tarbet Hotel Monday 23rd to Friday 27th December we arrived @ 11.45 to find the doors closed,The Manager came & let us in & said the hotel opened @ 12.00 but if we brought in our cases, we would get checked in once our room was ready. Manager asked if we would like a tea or coffee (yes please) this was given free of charge. The room was warm,the shower was a tad on the small side to get into. bed was comfy, TV had 4 channels that you could watch, {time to get TV with Freeview } Food was good & served with a smile. Christmas Day we had our Dinner @ 1 PM then a little break, Ronnie the Manger @ least I think that was his name provided Horse Racing in the bar, my better half Anita won a bottle of Champagne.We had entertainment every night (very good) I have put two videos on YouTube type in gtritchie5 & you will find my channel WATCH & ENJOY & COMMENT I can recommend the Tarbet Hotel Helpful staff,good food,good value,nice location,good entertainment. George

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comments to all departments involved as I’m sure they will be very happy to hear such positive feedback.

I’m glad you enjoyed our “Tarbet Tipster” race day on Christmas day as it is something we had tried last year to massive success. Congratulations on being one of many winners on that day!!!

J have taken the opportunity to have a look at your videos on youtube and they are very good, it was great to see you all enjoying yourselves so much.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and I wish you all the best for 2014.
walsall, UK
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Very difficult to rate this hotel fairly. Lots of positives. Free wi-fi in the bar which was a nice surprise. Outside matched the photos exactly. All 3 of our rooms had a loch view. We all had a small bottle of wine, fresh fruit and chocolate in our rooms. Plenty of tea and coffee which was replenished. Chocolates, fruit and nuts put out daily in the public area. Afternoon tea at 4 on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Drinks receptions a few times. Food for all meals except breakfast on the last day were from a menu provided by the Bay Hotel Group. Lots of choice. Good quality food. Nothing to moan or grumble about. Our waitress, Diane, was brilliant. Very efficient and friendly. The way the hotel was decorated for New Year's Eve was great - party poppers, hats etc. on the tables.

However, the positives were unfortunately overshadowed by the negatives. The single room was cold on arrival and never really warmed up. The soap dish in th shower in room 206 had been broken off. We reported it immediately as my daughter was on crutches and could not bend down in the shower. It never got fixed!

The rooms were not cleaned New Year's Day. We asked reception if someone could go up to make the beds and change the towels. We were told they had already been! They had knocked on the door earlie and asked if we wanted any more toilet paper, tea or coffee but then never came back. A few other guests backed us up and agreed they had also experienced the same! Towels were sent up but we had to make our own beds!

The area for entertainment was too small. It was such a shame that most guests did a runner after dessert to get a table. So much for a gala meal! Hardly anyone actually stayed for cheese and biscuits or the coffee! Not a great way to start the New Year's Eve celebrations! We could not see the entertainment or hear it very well. We had no idea there was a count down, although we were told later on there had been! We totally missed the passing of the old into the new!

Breakfast on the last day was a normal hotel breakfast. Massive slip in standards! Watered down fruit juices, porridge you could use to lay bricks etc! Could tell we weren't on the gala menu any more!

Rooms also could do with a good makeover. Pealing wall paper, holes, dust, dirt, mould etc!

Had a good new year with Shearings. Our coach driver, Denis, was great and kept us entertained. Very knowledgeable. Would go to Scotland with Shearings again for new year but would choose a different hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank harveyswalsall_UK
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I’m glad to read that for the most part you enjoyed your stay and found the dining experience to be an enjoyable one. I will pass on your lovely comments to Diane, who I’m sure will be happy to hear such positive feedback.

As I mentioned in a previous response, there was some issues with the countdown which resulted in a few people celebrating slightly early.

On New Year’s Day the staff were instructed to ask all guests whether they would require room service, I apologise if there was some sort of miscommunication and this instruction was not carried out correctly.

It’s unfortunate that you did not inform us of any issues with you room in general, as we would have been more than happy to look in to it for you and rectify any problems you may have had.

We hope you will reconsider your decision and wish you all the best for 2014
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

arrived at hotel 30/12/13,went up to our room like a fridge they said hotel had been closed since Friday 28/12/13 .so they gave us an electric heater.hot water would stop in the middle of a shave,basin plug did not keep water in.went to plug bed side light in moved the bed two dirty beer mats there on yhe floor plus plenty of fluff and dust,never been hooverd. there was a dirty towel hanging over the shower from previous occupents plus dirty toilet.new years eve not enough table and chairs if you did not get in quickly youdid not get a table people had to sit in the corridors dance floor like a postage stampbig enough for twenty people.both singers rubbish. bag pipes 11 25pm till11 55pm no count down to midnight no music after midnight that was it .early start for journey home cases out for 7 15 am got up at 6 15am no hot water happy n/year

Room Tip: ring hotel to make sure heating on and room has been cleaedn
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank harrycolin
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Regarding the situation with the towel, I am aware of the situation and would like to apologise for this as unfortunately this was a error on behalf of one of our staff who was carrying out cleaning on the arrival day and accidentally left it in the bathroom. The housekeeper was immediately sent to the room as soon as you made us aware of the issue and removed the towel and apologised.

We are unaware of any further issues regarding your room as no more were reported and the duty manager and the head housekeeper inspected your room the following day to ensure there were no further issues, had these other issues you state you had been reported we could have remedied them very quickly.

New Years Eve was an exceptionally busy night (as expected) and while we are aware that we do not have a massive dance floor, I disagree with your statements regarding there not being enough seats on that evening and people having to sit in the corridors. No one had to sit in the corridors on New Year’s Eve as there were 140 seats for 130 people in the bar/function room area. I am fully aware of this as I organised and counted them.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the entertainment on the Hogmanay, the majority of people who I spoke to on that evening seemed to have enjoyed themselves and had found it to be a good night. The countdown to the “Bells” was done by the entertainer and I will pass your comments on to him regarding this, I was present during this time as I was releasing the balloons from the net and I can only say that it was perhaps unfortunate that some confusion on the dance floor caused one or two to celebrate a bit early and as such caused the countdown to become a bit drowned out. The live entertainer finished after the bells at about 12.30pm and music was played after that until about 1am, if not longer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Loch Long Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!