“Value for money away from it all break”
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

Bay Tarbet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Value for money away from it all break”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a midweek stay at the Tarbet booked through Shearings.
This hotel offers warm comfortable rooms with tea making facilities, there are quiet areas as well as the bar area in which to sit. Daily papers provided for use in the lounge by guests.
Food is excellent. Served at set times but gives you an hours flexibility so you are able to choose when to attend.
Location: perfect for a get away from life as little in the village except tea room, post office and loch. Cruises on loch but check if operating due to season. Walks in forest behind the hotel, circular and one to neighbouring village. Local bus service runs from outside the hotel if wish to explore but check times for return travel.
Some people may not like the location as isolated, excellent for walkers also if use the trips provided in the tour.
Hotel has entertainment each night, bingo, only for 1/2 an hour, the singers are very good and also provided Scottish dancing 1 evening.
Some areas of the hotel are a little tired but you are only going to sleep in the rooms, to me this was not an issue. It appears to be going through refurbishment at this time which did not cause any disturbance.
Pity about one lounge which was too cold to sit in as this was very cosy looking and quiet but we would have asked for heating to be turned up. So no big deal.
Lovely break, attentive staff, a great time to get away from the hustle of usual life.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found it relaxing and enjoyable. I will pass you comments on to all the department’s, they will be thrilled to hear that you found everything to your satisfaction.

I will look into your comments regarding the guest lounge, as usually it is at a nice temperature for relaxing after a busy day travelling. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We hope you will come back and visit us at the Tarbet again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

if you are looking for somewhere to get away from it all to rest and relax this is the place to go I have just returned from my fourth break with my friends in the last eighteen months and I am already planning my next visit Ronnie jackman and his staff give a great service and value for money the quality and choice of food are excellent the rooms are clean and comfy and also warm even on one of the .
coldest nights of the year well done Ronnie and staff
jim/Geraldine/trevor/esther

Room Tip: pay extra for a scenic view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jim f
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your excellent review.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much that you are already planning yet another visit. I will pass on your lovely comments to all the staff, who I’m sure will be delighted to hear them.

It’s good that you feel you received value for money during your break with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your break at the Tarbet. I totally agree that these breaks are tremendous value for money and well worth going on.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I thank you for your kind recommendation.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just stayed at tarbet hotel and have mixed feelings about it. We went on a sheerings coach trip with my mother who is a pensioner and this is what the hotel is geared around. The hotel is great looking from out side and is set in a beautiful location, unfortunately it's not the case inside, the reception area, bar and dining room are nice enough but upstairs is in need of a revamp. We had a double room (205) and on the way to the room the corridor looked really tired also there was a leak in the ceiling, our room door was dirty it was white and had black finger prints on it. entering the room there was a black stain on the floor this looked like grease or motor oil ? And the ceiling was soaking wet the bathroom was also in need with a revamp. My mothers room (208) was much the same wet and mouldy and very dark, there was also a loft hatch right above the bed. Having arrived late we made our feelings known the next morning we got moved to new rooms. The room given to my mum next was much better (122) great view only complaint no heating in bathroom. Our room was abit better but was dusty and had mould on the ceiling above the window and a tiny shower no bigger than a phone box also tiles coming off the wall and a huge gap under the main door. I have read other reviews and agree the food portions are not big enough for younger people I must disagree with people saying the staff are rude that's not true the staff are a credit to the hotel inperticular I would like to thank Diane who waited on our table for the week she was very attentive. In summing up I would say id like to come back hear but only if the hotel is revamped in the bedrooms. It's a mixed bag this hotel but what I would say is the hotel lets the staff down the staff are great and the hotel could be better.

Room Tip: Make sure it's clean, mould free and the beds comfy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank james e
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding the staff, and in particular Diane, I’m sure they will be thrilled to know your thoughts.

Regarding the issues with your room 205, regrettably due to a very excessive period of wind and rain fall during the day, there was an issue with an area of the roof over that room. This unfortunately caused a small leak in to your room which you reported later that evening. The Duty manager did offer a change of room, but as it was late at night you decided to move in the morning. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.

I have had the chance to inspect the other rooms mentioned and can find no sign of the defects you have mention apart a small gap on 142’s bathroom door. But I have passed these comments on to the relevant departments to ensure follow up checks are carried out.
We continually are looking at every aspect of the hotel and ways to make it better, But it is difficult to get round everything in the one hit.

We hope you will return to the Tarbet hotel again.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in a beautiful setting. Our room was clean and comfortable with an amazing view over the loch. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. All the staff were friendly and make every guest feel special.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view. You pay slightly more but the views are more than worth it.
1 Thank Jill K
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Wow!! Thank you very much for kind review.

I’m so glad to read that you found everything to your satisfaction and more, I will pass your lovely comments on to all the staff and make sure that they see the appreciation you have for them.

We hope to welcome you back to the Tarbet
leeds
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife recently booked a 3 night break at the Bay Tarbet Hotel for my 65th birthday. This hotel is owned by Shearings Holidays and we travelled with them from Leeds.
The hotel is situated in a most beautiful 4oo year old building and is opposite the banks of Loch Lomand. As you would expect, the reception, bar and lounge areas and dining hall are all well furnished and decorated but the upper corridors and some of the rooms are a shade weary.
However , this was ably offset by the overall standard of the stay. Excellent service and value for money. The hotel is 2 miles from Arrochar which houses the nearest pub , so thankfully the bar prices are reasonable and there is a drinks deal to be had at hotel reception.
If you travel with Shearings, there are excursions included to the surrounding area . We went to Glasgow and Inverary
An all-round excellent package

Room Tip: you can pay a small supplement for a lakeside view
1 Thank rhino25leeds
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you found your stay such excellent value.

We offer an excellent range of value breaks at the moment and I couldn’t agree more that the package is an all round good deal. Especially at this time of year with the Bay Inclusive package.

I take on board your comments regarding some of the corridors and we will be looking at this in the not too distance future as part of our continual refurbishment plans.

We hope to see you return to the Tarbet!!!
Lytham St Annes
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We dropped in to try and get some food having been let down at another establishment so asked the manager if it was possible to get some food even though we werent residents, after initially being very helpful and saying it should be fine, the duty manager rang down to the kitchen to ask the chef if it was possible and the chef said it wasnt possible as they were busy!!! The duty manager apologised and was very pleasant but as we got back into the car and drove round the corner we saw the chef and a colleague having a sneaky cigarette at a side door, no wonder he was too busy to serve us!! Its a shame they couldnt have made more effort

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Geno W
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I’m disappointed to read about your experience when visiting the hotel. Having had the opportunity to speak to those involved, sometime the restaurant can be extremely busy with our residents and I believe this to be the case on this occasion. The Duty manager phoned down to the restaurant to ask if there was an available table, which unfortunately there wasn’t, and should have then asked you if you would like to take a seat in the bar lounge area and a table would be made available as soon as possible. If this was not communicated to you correctly then please accept my apologies.

We hope you will call in again and give us the chance to redeem ourselves.
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

we had a great 2 night stay.as soon as we arrived staff were very helpful.room was very clean and lovely and warm. they supplied hair dryer and complimentary toiletries.beds were very comfy.view over the loch were nice even though it was raining.food was lovely and always hot portion size was just right.we has a spanish waitress who could do enough for us.breakfast had plenty to choose from.entertainment was good singer first night and comedian singer second night.overall the staff from cleaners to management were all really nice and polite.would certainly go back.only one negative floorboards a bit noisey but can put up with that.

1 Thank janice0429
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review.

It’s good to read that you found your stay with us great and that the food and service was to a high standard. The Spanish waitress you mention is Toni, I will make sure that your praise is passed on to her, she will be very happy to read these kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back to the Tarbet in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Loch Long Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!