“old hotel but pretty good”
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

Bay Tarbet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are three ladies in our 50s.We stayed at the Tarbet for three nights in a very large room which overlooked the loch.The veiw was breathtaking.We had two single beds and a king size bed,and still had plenty of room.We were half board,the food was very good,dont listen to a lot of the bad reveiws.There was a choice of three of four starters,and five main courses,and four puddings.What more do people want.Also the food was plentyful and tasty.Then you could have your tea or coffee in the loung.There was entertainment on every night.It was very very good on the Friday and Sunday,but the comedian on the Saturday night was very nasty to the guests because they were talking.The staff in the hotel were so well mannered and very efficent,especially barman Gordon.Dont let bad reveiws put you off,but pay the few pounds extra to get the good rooms with the veiws.We would not hesitate to go back again.Well done Tarbet.

Room Tip: Ask for room over the Loch.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
GmTarbet, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to post this review

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your stay with us lived up if not exceeded your expectations.

Regarding the Entertainment on the Saturday evening, I have received some feedback from other guests from your party who stayed with us and rest assured this will be passed on to the relevant people,
Please let me take this opportunity to apologies on our behalf for any offense caused as usually this entertainer is well liked and enjoyed by the vast majority of our guests.

I will pass your comments on regarding the food and the staff to relevant departments and I’m sure we will see you back at the Tarbet again in the future.

Once again thank you very much

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'll keep this short and sweet, Tired old hotel, more twists and turns to find rooms than enough, food very average,( tasted like tinned or packaged) rooms clean but really in need an overhaul, position on lake good, staff also good. Sad to say it could be so much better with a lick of paint and new carpetsplus a bathroom makeover. Final comment is you get what you pay for. This was a Shearings short break so not expensive.
Wont be going back but hope they give it some TLC.

Room Tip: Roadside romms are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mjea44

Dear Reviewer,
I’m glad that you found the price to be of an acceptable level and as I’m sure you’ll agree it represents good value for money

The Tarbet is an older hotel that is accurate but, as can be seen by the massive improvements in the public areas, the hotel continues to be modernised in a caring and considerate way. It’s disappointing that you did not find the room to your liking and this will be addressed as part of our rolling refurbishment programme. As I have recently stated on previous reviews, The Hotel has undergone considerable refurbishment in both public areas and bedrooms over the past year with more planned for 2013.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel is in a fine location. Staff friendly. Food very mixed, but adequate - just. Had whitebait one evening - served TWO!!! Evening entertainment was okay, but music far too loud. It's nice to be able to talk to fellow guests. Disappointing outing to Inverary -stayed there for one hour. Three day trips (not in brochure) which had to be paid for. Met some other guests who really made the holiday for us. On return journey, we stopped at Gretna Green and coach left without us!!! Wrote letter of complaint to Shearings - no reply after 20 days.. Shan't be going again with them.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Loch Lomond
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank LancashirChas

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

Its good to read that you found the staff to be a friendly bunch and that you value the location as much as we do.

I’m disappointed to read that you were served such a small portion of your starter and I have passed your comments on to our Head chef and Restaurant Manager for their consideration. This should not have happened and I apologise profusely for this mistake.

The entertainment is located at the rear of the lounge bar and sometimes the entertainers do turn the volume up for the benefit of others who may be participating at the back area of the lounge. I will ensure that these comments are passed on to our agent.

I hope you will reconsider not travelling with us again and that you have received a reply regarding your comments. If not please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and I will pass your comments to the customer care department.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Saw this hotel on Michael Portillos train program last year and my father and I decided to do a whistle stop tour of Scotland using this hotel as our base.

Its a Shearings hotel so that gives you an idea of the type of clientele that mostly use this and its geared for that type of client BUT if your looking for an inexpensive hotel that offers Dinner, B&B for an inexpensive price, ideally located for touring the lowlands and islands then this is ideal

Its a no frills place, you do get TV and tea/coffee making facilities in your room. TV is only the 4 channels, no wifi and mobile reception is poor but its a comfy bed and the scenery, (If you get the right rooms), is something else

Room Tip: IF you can, try to get a room at the front of the hotel for the view of the Loch
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank millemanuk
GmTarbet, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your honest and kind review

I’m glad to see read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found this to be good value for money.

As you stated, Mr Portillo stayed here as part of his railway journey programme and thoroughly enjoyed his stay, he also agreed with you about the accessibility that the Tarbet provides for the traveller who wants to be based somewhere they can explore lots of different areas without a massive journey time.

We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as a 4 night break with Shearings coach holidays 24th Sept till 28th Sept 2012.
1st impression was very good. The reception and public areas looked like they had been refurbished recently.
We checked in very swiftly and proceeded to our room via the stairs. The carpet on the stairs was red and old but ok.
We were in room 205 on the 2nd floor facing Loch Lomond. The view from the window was stunning.We checked out the room further and found.. a lack of clothes hangers in the wardrobe,no hooks on doors for coats etc, an old analogue tv with only 3 channels with a dodgy remote control, poor lighting above the dresser, basic tea & coffee making facilities, squeaky floor boards, nice big stain on the carpet.On a plus side the bed was clean, comfortable & we slept well.
As to the bathroom/ en suite, it was very tired, with a rusty grab rail in the shower /bath area, cracks on tile joints, staining, poor seals, uneven floor, no hot water on final day, no hooks on door to hang anything, black mould on the ceiling in the shower area.Towels were clean and soft enough.
As to dining.. we used the lift to go down for our 1st evening meal and found the lift resembling something from a council estate, graffiti, missing Formica, dirty stained black red carpet, but it worked!
We were greeted by very smart, polite Hungarian waiting staff and made our way to our allocated table.The dining room was at the front of the hotel and tables seemed crammed together. We ordered a half carafe of red wine at £9.50p , which tasted ok.
Our meal came promptly on small plates with a cold dish of veg to accompany it.The haddock fish I had was warm enough though.My wifes soups was watered down tomato soup, which tasted very peppery
I had cheese & biscuits for afters on a very small plate ( 2 little pieces of cheese and 3 small crackers with 4 grapes.My wife had value ice cream (3 scoops).
Breakfast the next day was a joke.. watered down fruit juice, watery porridge, cold, cardboard toast, a traditional breakfast on a small plate ( 1 slice bacon, 1 sausage, 1 greasy hash brown,beans a bit of scrambled egg. Tea & coffee were fine though.
2nd day breakfast I had a lovely ice cold hash brown on half of it.
For our last 2 days we dined in the evening at Oban on a day trip out and last night at Rustlers just up the road in Tarbet ( a fantastic eatery I can thoroughly recommend).
We decided on the last day of breakfast to play safe. I had nice muesli, warmish toast (as we got there early), scrambled egg and bacon on half a slice of toast, which I found to be acceptable.

Evening entertainment was centered around the bar/ lounge area and consisted of 2 nights of bingo, 3 nights of Scottish girls dancing, 2nd rate comedians and hotel priced drinks.Rustlers is at least a third cheaper for drinks and does midday lunches too.More for the older generation, felt like a nursing home at times, but the older folk guests were friendly and polite saying that.
Loch Lomond is a very picturesque place and well worthy of a visit, but I would not advise anyone in their right mind to stay here.
My advice to the hotel would be.. Make the food more palatable and warm with a better choice of food for guests.Improve the view to the Loch, cut down the big conifer, buy proper orange juice, use milk in the porridge, don't water down soup or use stale bread rolls.
Redecorate bedrooms and make sure cobwebs are removed from all areas. Improve entertainment. Try to accommodate for all ages.
This is a true representation of our stay here.
Shame , its a beautiful looking hotel from the outside and the staff try their best.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Loch side. Ours was room 205 , which faced the Loch. Better still stay elsewher...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Andy M
GmTarbet, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Reviewer
It’s good to read that took time to notice the recent refurbishment of the public areas and that your first impressions of the hotel matched, if not bettered, your expectations. The fact that you also enjoyed the view from your room is also good to note.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review that myself and my team can scrutinise to make improvements where possible and also confirm what we are getting right in your eyes.

It’s disappointing that some areas of your stay did not live up to your expectations and I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments for action to be taken as the issues raised are not a usual occurrence here at the Tarbet. I certainly don’t agree with you comments that the Hotel is geared up and only caters for elderly people, we cater for all age groups and try to ensure a balance for all genre’s when it comes to entertainment too. If the truth be told I am very proud of the level of service we give to all.

There is one area I would like to clarify and that is regarding the view. The hotel cannot and is not allowed to cut down any trees in the surrounding are for numerous reasons, the most important of those being that we are in the middle of the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park and I don’t think they would be very happy with us if we did!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Really people don't do it!! It is grim, they say that it is in the process of a refit but that has been happening for at least 3 years. My room was like a cell and not that clean either. The hot water is on a timer so on the Friday morning you have to have put your bags out for 7am you are not able to have a hot wash or shower. The TV is able to receive 3 channels; okay maybe not a lot they can do about the reception!.
I complained and whilst the staff are friendly they are used to the complaints and do not do anything to rectify it. I also complained to Shearings who I think actually own this hotel and again not really interested in doing anything about it. I spoke to other guests there and couldn't find anyone with a good word to say for it.
The food was edible at best but mostly appeared as if it had been a defrosted earlier that day. The soup was the only food that had anything going for it. The waiting staff however were pleasant and efficient.
Honestly if I had gone by car I would have left the next day!!
The only thing that this hotel has going for it is the wonderful location

Room Tip: I understand that the rooms overlooking the loch may have been refurbished
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Heather S
GmTarbet, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear reviewer

I’m glad to hear that you found our staff to be pleasant and helpful and enjoyed our Homemade soups that we serve at the Tarbet.

Regarding the other issues you have mentioned, as I have stated in other responses, The hotel recently underwent a £100,000 refurbishment of the public areas and 17 bedrooms with more planned for next year. It is both unfair and untrue to state that the staff deal with complaints in such a unprofessional and blasé fashion, any complaints we received are dealt with as swiftly and as professionally as possible to ensure minimum inconvenience to our patrons.
Having had the opportunity to look over the comment cards from that week of your stay, I have to say that I found plenty of people with positive comments about the food , the hotel and the general condition of the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited the hotel during the summer my husband booked it as a surprise for me. The views were breathtaking as we approached the hotel. As we entered the reception it was not very impressive. The smell from the toilets was disgusting. I have never been in a lift so bad it was most unsightly. The rooms were ok ,however the bathrooms desperate need of updating and a good clean they were filthy The breakfast was the best thing about the hotel, the evening meal tasted like frozen food warmed through, the deserts were nice, such a shame as the hotel is in a beautiful location, the staff very helpful .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank june d

Dear Reviewer
I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfasts here at the Tarbet and you found the views to be breathtaking, which they certainly are.

As I have recently responded, The public areas have recently undergone a £100,000 refurbishment and have blended the original character of the building with a new contemporary look. I think they look excellent, which is why I am puzzled by your remarks. The toilet areas are cleaned on a regular basis.

The lift is tired and in need of a facelift, which it will get very shortly as part of our continuing refurbishment programme,

I have passed your comments about the standard of cleanliness you encountered in your bathroom on to our head housekeeper for investigation as I have done with your comments about the food. I can assure you that all food served in the hotel is made on the premises that day.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Arrochar Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!