“Good option along WHW”
Review of Rowardennan Hotel

Rowardennan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Rowardennan B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

There did not appear to be any hotel staff. We had to find our way to the bar to check in and the bartender was initially quite rude (one of our group was hurt a mile up the trail and I wanted to just leave my bag and run back up the trail to assist--the waitress said OK, but he said no). The room was at the end of an endless hall with little or no signage that rooms even existed. Another guest had to help me find the room. Once there, the room was reasonably nice and the bartender was much nicer when we were ordering food and drinks. The food was quite good pub food. Breakfast in the morning was chaos. In fairness, most WHW hikers aim to leave around the same time so everyone arrives around the same time. However, the poor guy taking orders looked flummoxed by the request for tea. We eventually got our breakfast, but it was an effort. Get down early for better results!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank PDXtravelers16

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here as part of West Highland Way walk and were very lucky to be staying in the lodge rather than the main hotel. The lodge was spacious and very comfortable and it was great to be able to spread out and relax. Having had a glimpse of the rooms in the hotel, I think we definitely had the best deal. We took a bottle of wine from the bar and sat on the decking where it was peaceful and away from it all. We ate in the bar and the food was fine, as was breakfast the next morning. As with many of these isolated hotels, we felt that the owners maybe didn't feel the need to make a big effort and the place needed some refurbishment.

Room Tip: Ask if you can stay in the lodge. Maybe more feasible if you are a group or family.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The rooms are great, good size, clean, well kitted out and fantastic views of Loch Lomond. The evening meals in the bar was very average, with little thought put into the preparation or presentation. The burgers are good enough quality but is just thrown onto a role with some melted cheese and relish, the macaroni cheese was the worst we have ever had. The bar is also very uncomfortable, a couple of comfy seats couches would be good after a heavy walk through the day. The breakfasts where good enough though.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our second night on the WHW having walked the 14 miles from Drymen. Having paid £96 for a double room we expected a high standard – but we didn’t get it. Our room was tired, torn plastic on the shower screen, bath plug not attached and the toilet leaked when flushed. The food was acceptable but no more, we also did not appreciate the order at bar system. Staff were very friendly but also very busy. It was just a bed for the night and we were pleased to move on the next day.

1  Thank veryoldcamper
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The view was lovely, the food was just okay (and very slow to arrive). When we arrived after walking 14 miles reception was closed so we had to go to the bar to check in, which was okay, but after that we couldn't find our room...I know room 2 should have been easy. When we asked someone for help, they didn't know where it was either, and they worked at the hotel.

Next morning breakfast service was not much better. It is as someone else said relying on location, it could be so much more.

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We called in for tea on the way past whilst walking the west highland way. The bar staff had no organisation and I had to wait far longer than most to be served. The good was average at best and the waiter just wandered around the garden asking every table if the food he had was there'a, even if they were eating. To top it off my friend was charged £3 for 2 stale slices of bread to which he was told it would have to do as it was the last slices.

I was planning on coming here for the weekend after visiting previously, but will visit elsewhere now instead.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Boweye
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night while walking the west highland way. The hotel was lovely and rooms were comfortable. When I arrived the reception was closed so we had to go into the bar to check in. I had to ask 3 different members of staff before anyone would take the time to check us in. I had just walked 15 miles and was not impressed by the service. I ordered a pack lunch for the next day and asked if water was included it wasn't and I had to pay £1.80 for a small bottle . When I was leaving another resident told me about a tap outside the hotel that I could have filled my bottle up from. I felt the staff did not care if I had a nice stay or not . When I tried to speak to someone about the service I was told " at least we had lovely views"

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosemary M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowardennan
Ardlui Hotel
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Rowardennan Hotel? Share your experiences!