“5 Star Service!”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
“5 Star Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned home from another fabulous stay at the Lodge on Loch Lomond, I am already planning my next visit. It gets better and better each time, the reception desk has changed position since the last time I was there and it really makes for a much more welcoming arrival. Although all of our meals were lovely, I highly recommend the butternut squash risotto....it was perfectly cooked and very flavoursome. The staff were at our beck & call for the two days we were there and they even welcomed our wee dog (Ted) with some dog biscuits & a food bowl....and not only did they ensure that our drinks were kept topped up but they offered Ted some water too! A great example of 'going the extra mile'. A big THANK YOU to all of the staff who looked after us so well, especially Pearl who, even at the busiest times, has a big smile on her face and provides the warmest of welcomes. Oh and the view....well, it's my favourite place in the world....what more can I say? See you again soon!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank LouiseCharlton
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for such a fabulous review and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.Your positive comments are hugely appreciated by my entire team and it is so gratifying to hear first hand that we are getting our service and hospitality right.i have passed a well done to Pearl and she is delighted to have been highlighted in your review.We look forward to welcoming you back to the lodge in the future.
Nigel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Travelled to Lodge on Loch Lomond recently with friends for afternoon tea. This was a voucher deal.

The views were magnificent, the afternoon tea was really good with a number of finger sandwiches with fillings such as egg mayo, salmon and ham as well as a good selection of mini cakes and massive scones, plentiful and very nicely tasted, also served with a glass of prosecco and tea.

Service was good, staff were friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed it so much so we are returning next month

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
So pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Lodge and found everything to your satisfaction in respect of your afternoon tea experience with us.I have passed on your comments to our Food and Beverage team.Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Visited here for two nights with my husband as a gift from our sons. The hotel was beautiful and we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a room in the Munro building with a balcony and loch view. The room was spacious and well furnished with a large bed two comfy chairs tv dressing table and coffee table. The shower had a temperature control and the bath could be set to fill to a specific level. This area was in the main room with the toilet being separate. The pool area was very nice as was the spa area. The food was lovely and very well presented. We tried quite a few new things. The staff were wonderful very friendly and nothing too much problem.

Room Tip: All rooms had at least a partial loch view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a super review and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor,I was delighted that you had enjoyed your recent experience at the Lodge.I have passed your encouraging comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Neilston, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We visited the Lodge as a 5pm deal which included dinner.
The reception staff were extremely helpful and although we were guaranteed that our room would be ready by 3pm in the 5pm blurb we actually got into the room at 2pm, so that was a bonus and meant we had the spa area all to ourselves!
The room was lovely with a great view over the loch.
Colquhouns food was absolutely first class, I would highly recommend the Beef Cheek which melted in the mouth.
We found all the staff very friendly and will definitely visit the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen D
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
ou backWow!!what a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to place your reviews on Trip Advisor.I am delighted that you enjoyed you recent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction,i have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Met the wedding coordinator here, and can't praise her enough. Thorough explanation of every aspect of venue, nothing was too much trouble. A very professional and helpful staff member, even waiting in the reception for her, other staff members were lovely. Whether we choose here or not is irrelevant. We were made to feel valued and very special on our visit. Only one thing to say to lodge on Loch Lomond, you are a contender! A real contender!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and I am delighted with the comments regarding our wedding co-ordinator and shall pass these on.I hope that you decide to hold your very special day with us,however,should you decide on an alternative venue then I wish you a very happy future together.
Fauldhouse, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visited the Lodge on Loch Lomond for a night stay booked by our daughter as a gift for us through 5pm deals.. On arrival we were told our room was guaranteed occupancy by 3pm. I had thought this would be 2pm as we have to be out the room by 11am, that isn't to me very fair and on checking the email it does not say anywhere the check in time.. We booked a table for evening dinner and we were then advised that if we left our mobile number they would call us when our room was ready.. We were also advised that once we picked up our keys we would be provided with all the information we required. We were then directed to the bar area where we could sit and wait.. The bar and restaurant were very busy but we found this a very comfortable area to sit. We had a drink then a coffee and then received a call to say our room was available.. When we went back out to reception the girl asked us if we had booked our evening meal and then handed us our key and provided directions to our room.. She did not offer any further information so we had to ask about the pool/leisure facilities and where they were.. We were also not offered any further information on how to use the sauna in our room, we only knew that it took 30 mins to heat up as other people were offered this information. The room had fabulous views over Loch Lomond and the balcony area was very spacious, unfortunately it was pouring with rain but we do believe in the height of summer the balcony would be a fantastic place to sit and relax.. After a walk round the beautiful little village of Luss we headed back to the hotel.. We decided to try out the spa facilities.. As we had booked the deluxe Corbett room the spa facilities are in a different building but just a short walk.. Facilities are good but the pool got really busy as everyone that had checked in had the same idea.. There is only one shower in the changing facilities and although it does advertise that toiletries are provided, there was only either shampoo or shower gel in a dispenser, it didn't say on it what it was... There were plenty of towels available and free lockers. unfortunately I left a silver cross lying on top of the towel area and when I went to get it, it had gone.. I asked at reception if it had been handed in and they said they would check with the housekeeping in the morning but alas it didn't materialise, this is no fault of the hotel, an unfortunate situation where I left something lying and not everyone staying in the hotel were honest enough to hand it in.. Our meal was booked for 7pm and we arrived at 6:55pm, the restaurant concierge showed us to our table situated by the window.. He advised of what wasn't available on the menu and what the days specials were.. We did feel a little pressured to pick our meal as immediately after he left a young waiter appeared asking if he could take our order. We asked him if he could give us a couple of minutes more ordered drinks.. Other people were receiving jugs of water on their table so we thought this was automatic, we did eventually ask for one when it didn't automatically appear, although they had left water glasses on our table.. I ordered the king prawns for starters and my husband ordered the duck, the prawns were delicious but I was a little disappointed in the size of the portion. For £6.95 I would have expected more than three king prawns, however I did savour what I had, the batter was the lightest batter I have ever tasted.. My husband had the special started which was shredded duck in a hoi sin sauce sitting on celeriac salad, he had a lot on his plate and it was also delicious. We both had Beef Cheeks for our main course sitting on a bed of mash with mushrooms, it was delicious.. We were asked a couple of times during the meal if everything was ok.. Our waiter then came and took our plates away and asked us if we wanted to see the dessert menu, we had already decided we did as although the meal was delicious it was a la carte so we decided to finish it off with a dessert.. After waiting for nearly 20 mins the menu's never arrived, we did notice a couple of the waiters, one of which was ours just standing about chatting so it wasn't as if they were run of their feet, he had just forgot.. We then gave up waiting as by this time we had finished our drinks.. We went to sit in the bar and my husband went to sign the bar tab for our meal and also complained to the concierge about the dessert menu never arriving. I would have thought there was plenty of opportunity for the restaurant manager to then see where we were sitting and offer to bring the menus to us, but all he done was apologies.. We then ordered drinks from the bar and we were told to take a seat and the drinks would be brought to us.. We had these drinks and I had said to my husband I really fancied a cocktail, I had gone to the toilet so my husband had went to order me a cocktail as a surprise, he was asked to sit down and someone would come over and take the order, a lovely surprise that back fired as nobody approached to take the order, we sat for a further 30 mins and finished the drinks we had.. At this point my husband had, had enough and went to the reception and complained about the service we had received, he was told our complaint would be passed to the manager in the morning... We then retired to our room.. The rooms are very comfortable with a superking size bed a leather couch and chair.. My husband found the chair very comfortable to sit in.. We decided to choose a film to watch but were both dismayed to find the cost of a film to hire was £5.99, there is an advert on the dressing table next to the TV advertising films to watch but it doesn't tell you there is a charge until you go to select a film.. We did have a very comfortable sleep and although the room was quite warm there is a ceiling fan that quickly cooled it down. The views from the room in the morning were spectacular, and sitting watching the ducks and seagulls was very peaceful. I was dreading going to the restaurant in the morning due to us having to complain the previous night. However there was a changeover of staff so we felt a bit more comfortable.. We were shown to a table and offered tea or coffee and toast.. The very friendly waitress told us about the buffet breakfast and pointed everything out to us, she then also explained the menu.. We chose a typical Scottish breakfast.. This was a little disappointing as the black pudding was cold and chewy and the other hot food was on slightly warm.. The poached eggs however were cooked to perfection.. We finished breakfast and then checked out.. On checking out we were asked if our stay had been good, we said, there had been a few problems and the girl then said, oh room 25, thats right I saw an email this morning that had been sent to the manager.. She then said do you want to discuss it with someone.. My husband said no, he felt he had already raised the complaint so we shouldn't' have been asked if we wanted to discuss with anyone, someone should have been made available to us without having to ask.. We were then handed our bill for checking and paying.. I forgot to add, on check in they also hold a £50 security payment which is released on checking out.. Maybe guests should withhold a percentage of the bill & only settle their bill on complete satisfaction of their night away, you are getting a great offer through 5pm deals but if this is the service you would get for the normal £160+ a night I would be raging.. Is it a case of you only get what you pay for and you can't expect more when it's a cheaper night away, we are really disappointed in the service, but more so when my husband took the time to make the complaint and nobody made the effort to follow this up with us in the morning, only a feeble, "do you want to speak to someone about it". We would have felt there was a genuine "sorry" if we had been asked to take a seat while someone came and spoke to us about the complaint we had logged the night before. Sorry but I really wouldn't recommend visiting this hotel through any deals as they can't seem to cope with the volume of people they had.

Room Tip: If you are only going for one night we wouldn't recommend the room upgrade as it's not good...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tweenieleenie
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and bringing our shortcomings to my attention.I would most sincerely apologise for the problems that you encountered during your recent stay and would assure you that this is by no means our usual standard of operation.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having stayed in the Lodge several times before and had a fabulous time a few years back, I was pretty disappointed when i booked recently on the 5pm DBB deal. Location is gorgeous, there's nothing like waking up with the sunrise over the Loch and listening to the water lapping the shoreline. The balcony and view over the Loch are wonderful, it's fabulous to have a sauna in the room. Staff are lovely and helpful. On the negative side however, (but I hope this is taken as constructive criticism - i love this hotel) it seems to have had a rather corporate and tired looking refurbishment - would be great to see it up the Lodge stakes and make it a bit more 'Lodge' and a bit more boutique Scottish in a Timorous Beasties-type fashion - bit more kitsch and individual, (see across the road at the newly refurb'd Loch Lomond Arms - beautifully done) - and a bit less corporate 'Welcome Break'. Main disappointment was the food. OK starter, a very poor, unseasoned, bland main, very poor cheese (in Scotland!!! Tut tut!) and dessert was an afterthought. Hoping this was an off day for the chef.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed your evening meal with us.I do think it may have been an off day as we consistently receive rave reviews about our cuisine.Not entirely sure about your comments re "welcome break and refurbishment" as this is the first comment received of this nature but would be most interested to hear your constructive comments on this and I can be contacted on nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk
I look forward to hearing from you.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!