“Stunning location. Cut price version of a previous stay.”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Stunning location. Cut price version of a previous stay.”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a 5pm deal having honeymooned here 4 years ago. It was our anniversary so we were going to have an amazing weekend regardless. I felt we got a "cut price" version of our previous break. Although the same room type this time wallpaper peeling and part of facade in bathroom missing. Worst of all no robe and slippers!!! That said stunning view of the loch and the room spotlessly clean comfy bed and very very quiet.
The spa facilities are excellent although changing room floor could have done with a wash and towels refilled at time we used it (4pm)
The restaurant is the jewel in the Crown of this place. Relaxing in the lounge for pre dinner drinks was heavenly. The food was good with a small but interesting menu. A tad surprised that a place like this serves frozen chips but I'm not a snob and they tasted great!
Breakfast was also excellent and wow what a view. A wander along the private beach accessible from decking of restaurant was a great way to walk off the full Scottish breakfast!
This place is fab and holds special memories for us so we will return. This was a "5pm" deal I had booked & if I'm honest you could tell the difference. You only get what you pay for and not a bit more!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Angela M
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit to the Lodge. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shower curtain in your room and have discussed this with my housekeeping team. I have also passed on your positive comments regarding our restaurant.
Nigel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Hebrew first
Scotland
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Nice location with lovely views . room was disappointing despite views given we were £149 for room including breakfast. Room had a sour smell at bath area which I reported to reception . to be fair it was freshened up a bit but the problem was a sour shower curtain, there was also mouldy grout and fitments were ill fitting in bath area - which incidentally is behind the bed/separated by a wall unit. Room was a bit past its best. Food was very nice and service friendly .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your room and would explain that we have commenced a thorough makeover of our guest rooms to ensure to ensure that they are all kept to a high standard of decor at all times.Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.
Wishing you all the compliments of the season.
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Excellent time had by all , such a romantic location its hard to fault ( But)
ah, we had a ball and will go back.

Arrived and as newbies were not aware of the card entry system being integral to having lecy in the room ( it was dark btw) felt more than stupid when someone had to show us what to do.

Came back at 2.30pm expecting a tidy room, to enjoy sauna, good views etc..( ayye)..room not done...so sat like lemons on the balcony whilst staff cleaned etc . NOT GOOD.

Decided to have complete time to ourselves and tried room service, oh dear " housekeeping left wrong menu ".....waiter came to room and apologised. Took far far far too long to establish the problem....we got dressed and spent our hard earned money elsewhere ( lochlomondarms , which was perfect).

Room Tip: 22 was good for us.
2 Thank craigandpatricia
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to read that you had fun.I would explain that the Lodge operates at a high occupancy and our mission is to have all guests rooms serviced by 3 pm, I can only apologise for the room service menu being incorrect and this was obviously an oversight on our behalf.Once again thank you for your review.
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we got a dinner, bed and breakfast deal online for a reduced rate. The location is incredible with some lovely views. The dinner included was really tasty and well cooked although the menu price is quite expensive (£30 for 3 courses). I'd highly recommend the Malibu and pineapple sponge.
We stayed the modern part of the hotel, the room was a good size although it could do with a bit of updating, there was 2 big ink stains on the carpet and the wallpaper was torn.
There is also a spa in the hotel which was just next to the room, the laconium and sauna were lovely however the steam room smelt horrible and we ended up not using it. The floors in the spa area also needed updating as they sagged as you walked across them.

All in all I felt the hotel was not really 4 star material, but with of refurbishment it certainly could be. If you can get a good deal for this hotel I would take it, but I wouldn't pay full price to stay there.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit with us. I note your comments regarding the steam room floor and would apologise for this and inform you that this was replaced last week.
Glasgow
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at in the Executive Munros, the building is situated to the right of the main hotel, the pool and spa is here too. The room was really amazing, we had a balcony to enjoy the great views over Loch Lomond. The bathroom is in the main room behind a partition, the bath had a option to set how you wanted your bath (cool, warm and hot - half full or full.. Cool gadget) there was 2 big leather chairs to sit on and the tv had an option to watch films pay per view (£6). We took advantage of the mini bar cause the prices were quite reasonable, £3 for a beer etc. We booked with a 5pm.co.uk voucher so the hotel was fully booked at the time, the bar area is nice and has a good atmosphere, we were served at our table but once it was really busy we kind of got forgot about. Our table wasn't ready and we had to ask a few times for it ( even though we were asked many times earlier on what time is your table booked at) we got seated 45 mins late at 9pm (starved) the waiter (looked like restaurant manager) made a joke to show he knew they weren't doing well due to busyness. The food was nice, deserts were great. We were there as 2 couples and 2 rooms and they didn't check EVER what took to charge to (found this to be a bit awkward, how do you tell the other couple hey you owe me money) even though we never signed anything and the other couple did, they still charged most of the food and drinks to our room.

The hotel rooms are great, the bar is really nice, the food was quite good, the spa pool etc looked wonderful. The beach at the front is lovely. The breakfast was buffet style and was quite good too. The only problem is they couldn't cope with the demand of the full hotel because of the recent voucher deal.

I would recommend this hotel but would book dinner earlier rather than later, the service was great when less people around.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveller_eon
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your reviews on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Lodge. I was sorry to read that we let ourselves down at dinner service and accept that there are lessons to be learned and your comments have been taken constructively.
Wishing you all the compliments of the season.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night last week on a 5pm.co.uk deal for one night's dinner, bed & breakfast.

We paid £20 extra to upgrade to a corbett room which gave us a balcony with an amazing view over Loch Lomond and also a private sauna in the room itself.

On arrival we were told that the changing rooms, steam room and sauna in the spa were being worked on and were not available, however we could still use the pool and the jacuzzi and that two guest rooms had been provided for changing in. This was really disappointing for us as the spa facilities were one of our main reasons for booking this hotel.

After getting settled in we went over and had a look with the intention of using the pool and jacuzzi but the pool was quite small and very busy and the changing rooms were communal so you just had to leave your things lying beside everyone else's which we didn't fancy doing.

We do obviously appreciate that work has to be done on the facilities from time to time so it was just bad timing for us that the work was being carried out during our visit.

The Lodge itself is a very traditional Scottish looking establishment with decor to match. Our corbett room (No. 33) was very nice and had everything we needed to hand although there weren't any tea and coffee making things which was unusual.

We found the beds to be quite hard although this is obviously subjective and some people do prefer a hard bed.

We had a two course dinner as part of our package and we both thought that the restaurant was very nicely decorated. The adjacent bar area is also very nice and we had a drink in here before our dinner.

We opted for a main course and a dessert each. I went for the special which was a prawn, scallop and chorizo risotto and my wife, who is vegetarian, went for the parsley risotto.

We had to send my wife's meal back as some of it was undercooked and they also took my meal away as well and cooked us both a fresh main course which we thought was very good service.

I really enjoyed my meal, especially the prawns which were delicious (even though there was only two of them on the plate) along with three scallops and some very thinly sliced chorizo.

My wife didn't really enjoy her meal as much as I did, she said it was decent enough but somewhat lacking in flavour. A risotto seems to be the standard vegetarian option on a very high percentage of restaurant menus - I do wish restaurants would offer a better variety in this respect.

For dessert we had a chocolate and hazelnut brownie and a cheese plate and both were delicious and we also shared a bottle of unoaked chardonnay with our meal which was quite tasty and quite reasonably priced at £19.50.

Breakfast was served in the same restaurant we had our evening meal in and it was all of a very good quality. It's served buffet style but there is also an additional menu that you can order various other dishes off of for a supplement.

All in all we would recommend this hotel and we did enjoy our stay on the whole.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and I was pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay with us and would return to the Lodge. I would apologise for the fact that certain facilities in our leisure area were unavailable at the time of your visit due to essential maintenance. The other points raised in your review have been discussed with our Food and Beverage Team and have been taken as constructive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Could have been so much better. Everything is in place for this to have been a lovely romantic midweek break. Terribly slow service from the bar ( left on my own for nearly 20 mins at 7.30 unserved) Entire starter eaten before our pre ordered drinks arrived at the table wasnt up to par.
Room very sad and tired with trims missing, ( including the fitted door of our fridge although we were asked by and an obvious lack of attention to detail including the bar code still on the bead at roof level of our bedroom. Final insult was the £4.95 suppliment for a steak if we were "voucher" clients. This on top of a £ 21.50 tarrif for said steak. Left entirely underwhelmed. As I said
What a shame.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first, there must have better than we got !
2 Thank KenLaird1961
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and would apologise if all was not to your satisfactio.I have checked the Managers log and am unable to see any recorded comments of a negative nature regarding service during the last two weeks.There is always a duty manager who is there to take on board guest comments and can always assist.I am sure you can nappreciate that it is difficult to deal with a complaint if it is not made at the time.
Your comments are appreciated.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!