“Beautiful views”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Got great rate on late booking with large room, sauna and balcony. Comfortable King bed. Bit tired looking outside. Evening meal ok - not great. Inexperienced waitress didn't help situation. Good breakfast and amazing views right on the Loch. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Overlooking Loch a must !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed for 1 night and was greeted by Sam in reception, bright and engaging and just what you need after a long road trip. Friendly and helpful, Sam gave us all the info that we needed and had a good sense of humour to boot. Room (38) was large with a sauna in it - fantastic!! His and hers sinks with good mirrors and lighting along with good pressure from the shower, through out was very clean. Yes, as per previous reviews, some of the varnish is peeling on the furniture and the mattress needs changing desperately (very tired) but the leather chairs were like sinking into your favourite armchair, and the views from the balcony were wonderful, especially first thing in the morning.
We had dinner in the restaurant and Sandy in the bar was very helpful and talked us through the options for our drinks, and took us to our table also, very good customer service as most staff would say that would be a waitresses job!! Some table legs are very badly chipped and this is where this hotel lets itself down, 30mins with a can of paint and the tables would look prestine again.
The price charged for the food should be matched with the level of service given- and it's not, far from it. Our waitress was clearly new, maybe even her first week, so it's a training issue and not personal one. Despite taking an order for soup and bringing soup to the table there was still no soup spoon on the table, cutlery should always be sorted before the food arrives, soup spoons/steak knives etc and when we asked for a soup spoon you don't expect to be told " yes ok I'll get you one, that's not a problem" Really? I didn't expect it to be!! Placing an ice bucket on a glass topped table with no napkin underneath only leads to condensation seeping along the table top, almost soaked my phone!! Bread plates were placed on the table and when we asked for a bread roll for the soup we were kurtly told they don't offer bread rolls and we would have to order the bread and humous option. If you're giong to charge £7+ for starters and £20+ for steak I think a bread roll could be served with the soup.
Wild garlic soup was delicious, only two prawns served in the tempura starter portion, wild mushroom side dish was very rich and not a gratin as discribed on the menu. Wood pigeon was dry and tough, Belly Pork had no crackling on it and I think it was in fact Pork shoulder - which appeared to have been seared to look cracking 'like', potato gnocchi was very good. We appeciate it's a wooden structure but having a constant train a waitresses stomping past your table and vibrating the table is not conducive to fine dining.
Overall, we would stay again and recommend just a few fine details need addressing to give better value for money and an overall better customer experience, Sam and Sandy were great and the location and views along with the sauna in the room made everything better.
We hope our waitress gets support and training in Silver Service along with guidence on different drinks served, so she doesn't look so overwhelmed when customers order specific brands. Management is at fault here and not the waitressing staff themselves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Central Scotland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is old and worn - but definitely not in a shabby chic way!
As soon as I'd opened the door to our corbett room I got that sinking feeling - it felt tired and grubby ... and I didn't have to go hunting to see it was exactly that.
Layers of dust on the skirting boards and pictures, chipped cups and saucers on the hospitality tray, stains on the bedlinen and carpets, crumpled tatty and stained room info and signage, crumbs all around the rim of the coffee table under the glass - all contributed to a low grade feel. I had to step out on to the balcony and take in that beautiful scenery to stop myself from sinking into a depression!
Old fashioned, most definitely but that can be overlooked when with meticulous housekeeping and general maintenance which wasn't apparent here.
On a plus point we thoroughly enjoyed dinner in the restaurant - although at £15 for a pasta dish and upwards, one would expect so. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel during our stay so can't comment on that.
Back to the room I'd resigned myself to (I really just wanted to enjoy my weekend away as it was a special occasion) I couldn't help thinking just a little bit of imagination and not much money mixed with some effort and tlc could sort these rooms out for the foreseeable. As it stood, £150 per night room only did not present value for money.
It transpired the lack of care and attention translated in other parts of the hotel too - the spa, for instance, where there was no fresh towels in the changing area - just an overflowing mountain of dirties (I managed to get one from the men's changing - I asked someone going in!), no cups at the water station next to the sauna, soaking abandoned towels at the pool area. It was plain to see nobody had really been in checking the place for at least a good few hours, if at all.
. Reviews are subjective - expectations and value for money informing mine. I personally wouldn't recommend this place to any of my friends. I saw it purely as a tourist trap and not somewhere bothering too much for repeat business.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank ksmiffy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for one night and it was a fantastic stay. The staff made us feel special and well attended to during our stay, even though there was a wedding going on. We had a lochside room, with a stunning view and it was spotless. The atmosphere was very relaxed and pleasant and I think this is partly down to the staff. They seem very happy to be working there. The hotel has a lovely lochside restaurant and a comfy bar lounge area which we enjoyed.

Room Tip: Obviously a lochside room is well worth it.
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Only stayed one night and overall were impressed with our stay.
Dinner was pricey but worth it - new menu and Chataubriand was wonderful - cooked just right.
Nice large room overlooking the loch with own sauna - lovely.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
Following breakfast I decided to sit out on the balcony overlooking the loch to read the newspaper delivered to my room. I got showered with filth from above - the balcony above was being refurbished without a thought to anyone below - my newly clean and straightened hair was covered and I felt absolutely filthy. Even when I remonstrated the work continued until I headed indoors and watched our table and chairs get covered in grot.
A very disappointing end to a lovely stay.
Place is pretty pricey for one night dinner, bed and breakfast and I did not expect to be showered in filth for the price.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the loch - beautiful views
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Myself & my mum went for one night (surprise for mums birthday) had a great time, on arrival 2 our rooms, a girl was waiting 2 surprise us with 2 glasses of champagne each & a lovely birthday card for my mum. Rooms were stunning & views from our balconys was outstanding. It was a lovely relaxing time, using the swimming pool, jacuzzi, steamroom & sauna. The only dissapointing thing was our meal, the starter was great, but the fillet steak we both had wasnt nice, it was a cheap cut of meat, not fillet, the mushrooms came from a tin & the chips were like scraps, very DISSAPOINTED. But all staff lovely & friendly. Would def go back & stay, but would give the restaurant a miss.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony as views over the loch are stunning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from 2 nights at the lodge which is our 7th visit in the last few years.
The location of the hotel and the views from our Corbett room was, as always, second to none. However, I have to say that the rooms are looking tired and would benefit from new carpets, new furniture and a good spring clean. Also worth noting that there seemed to be a level of cost cutting in place with no bottled water, bathrobes, postcards etc in the room. The food has also taken a bit of a step backward which is a shame as I don't think there is a nicer setting for a meal in the UK. My wife is a vegetarian and as such we were extremely disappointed that there were no vegi options on the menu, really? It's 2013. The waiting staff did ask the chef to sort something but we do expect better from this place.
In summary, we will definately be back but on a room only basis and we will eat at the Loch Lomond Hotel which is far superior for food.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank henry_h1975
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!