“Lovely”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Hamilton Scotland
“Lovely”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Loved the hotel the setting was perfect and the staff were friendly nothing was a problem def going back when the weather is nicer so we can sit on the balcony and enjoy the scenery.
Dinner was a set menu which had a very good choice and the meal was lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Hebrew first
Peyia, Cyprus
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent a night here in February, this being or 10th stay since 2001 and afraid to say definately the worst. I was going to write a long-winded review on the faults of the place, but to be honest there were so many, albeit mainly minor, that I cant really be bothered, except for 1 very major problem, to me at any rate which was that the room we stayed in (Munro), the toilet has no wash hand basin and you have to go into the open plan bedroom/shower area to wash your hands, which is not very hygenic.
As for everything else, staff, welcome, food, facilities, all just so very average. This place is trading on the glorious scenery, but the prices they charge are not worth it

2 Thank loyalally
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was our second visit to The Lodge on Loch Lomond and unfortunately things did not go the way we expected.
We booked on the Thursday and arrived on the Saturday night so we were suprised to find that there was a big wedding at the hotel and we had not been informed of this when we made our reservation.
When we went down to the bar for pre dinner drinks we were surprised to see a note informing us that the bar was closed for a private function. On speaking the the restaurant manager we were told that we could sit in reception, the restaurant or we could go in the bar but is was very busy as the wedding party were waiting for the function suite to be ready for the evening entertainment.
We decided to go to the bar and the manager did find us a couple of seats. unfortunately there were lots of children who were not being supervised and were playing tag racing round the tables and chairs. this is a 4 star hotel and this was not what we expected.
Things did not get any better as after a waitress tried to insist we went into dinner the service went downhill with our wine being plonked on the table for us to open.
One of the reasons for our visit was the restaurant with its 2 rosette rating. unfortunately they are not supplying this menu and are opting out of the rosette scheme somethig we again did not realise when we booked so we were very disapointed with the set valentine menu. The hotel did refund us for our dinner but that did not compensate for the appaling behaviour of the children alloewd to run riot all evening, so much for the romantic meal.
We would visit again as the location is excelent but would make sure there was not a wedding or similar function taking place.

Room Tip: The corbett rooms are a must with their balcony over the loch. There is nothing better than to watch...
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this hotel, area, setting and the staff! It is a really special experience and you won't be disappointed . I normally love the adventure of trying different hotels but the lodge is one I will return to again and again! The food is fab the whole feel of the place is one of tranquility and peace and the staff are SO friendly I couldn't praise them highly enough ! My little peace of heaven !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mags1888
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfect, we didn't stop smiling the whole time we were there and will return, all staff were so helpful, the rooms are fantastic but the view could not be beaten it was amazing. We really enjoyed our meal in the hotel restaurant and the shuttle bus took us the the sister hotel where there was entertainment on and we really enjoyed the night there. We really can't wait to go back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My rather incredible wife treated my to a Sunday night away on a deal she found on one of her countless discount sites/apps and when I found out I was really excited.

I've heard many good things and couldn't wait to see for myself.

First the location. I mean God. It is simply incredible with views that you do have to see, particularly at dusk/dawn.

We got an upgrade to a Corbett suite for only £20 and I would recommend this. They all have balconies overlooking the loch and their own sauna. Well well worth this wee bit extra.

I must agree with other users that the hotel is looking a little tired but to be honest this is not a huge consideration for us as long as its homely.

There is a pretty informal feel throughout as soon as you arrrive. The desk staff were friendly but I thought the layout a tad odd. You have to walk through the restaurant to get to many of the rooms.

This also applies to the leisure facilities. They are awkward to get to don't have a view despite there being windows. There is a whirlpool bath but its between these windows in a tiled corner. Would have been amazing to be able to sit in the with one of the worlds most gorgeous pieces of nature.

In our room the bath/shower is not divided from the rest of the room and so the windows/mirror got very steamy.

It is a joy however to sit on the balcony with that view and a glass of bubbles.

Now to my main issue with the hotel. The restaurant and bar. I was told years ago by a restaurant manager that if you want to see how good the staff of anywhere is, go on a quiet night. Its easy to be on the ball when the place is buzzing but how are you looked after when this isn't there?

We had three waiting staff with 5 tables. They were perfectly pleasant but didn't really know anything about their menu and spent most of their time away from the dining area, prefering instead to hang out at the kitchen having a chat. After our main we sat with empty plates for 15-20 mins, thankfully we'd bought a bottle of wine and so didn't have to go thirsty.
Also the kitchen have sourced some excellent cheeses for the cheese board and when I asked about the differences I was told there wasn't any.

My first thought was why the heck have them then? I'd also asked for a drink with this course but had to ask again after its arrival.

Essentially if you are expecting the kind of place where you have staff on hand to top up a glass or make sure you don't need anything else then you are going to be disappointed. And I fear I was one of these people. I thought this was the kind of place that I would walk away from raving about the service but I fear not.

The produce was good with both my wife and I being very happy with the quality of the sirloin. Maybe getting some veg or sauce choices with this would have been good though. The sirloin only came with garlic butter.

There were no offers on for meals or anything and each course was on the expensive side (£22 for steak).

Again given the fact this hotel charges about £160 for a room I would expect the bar staff would be trained to a standard where they would know a few cocktails. In no way do I blame the barman, he was an real delight being very chatty and friendly. A real asset. However he's been put in place in the bar as a pint puller. Again no disrespect to him meant.

I asked for a dirty gin martini and he'd not heard of it. I tried explaining but got my drink in a whisky glass with no olive. Or gin.

God love him but he tried.

Overall we both felt this hotel missed the little things but was targeted at an audience that would expect these as standard, with a price that reflects this.

If we did not have a deal on the room I would have been bitterly disappointed.

But please don't let this put you off, we may just have been on inexperienced staff night and this could well be an aberration. We would go back if only for the view and if some of the staff had maybe a wee bit more training then the score would have been 4.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin M
West of Scotland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very efficient no-fuss check-in process on arrival. We stayed in a 'Corbett' room, which was quiet and had fantastic views across the most scenic part of Loch Lomond from the balcony and indeed from inside the room too. The room was clean and comfortable but rather dated (which didn't bother us) although the bathroom area was well designed and modern. Probably not worth the advertised rack rate, but good value if you find an offer. The bar and dining facilities are impressive and make the most of the outstanding views. Service was friendly and prompt - at dinner I decided when the main course arrived that I wanted extra vegetables, and these appeared freshly prepared in a separate dish, within five minutes. The food itself was excellent - good menu choices and well-presented. We would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!