“Just gets better!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Edinburgh
“Just gets better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this hotel, area, setting and the staff! It is a really special experience and you won't be disappointed . I normally love the adventure of trying different hotels but the lodge is one I will return to again and again! The food is fab the whole feel of the place is one of tranquility and peace and the staff are SO friendly I couldn't praise them highly enough ! My little peace of heaven !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mags1888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfect, we didn't stop smiling the whole time we were there and will return, all staff were so helpful, the rooms are fantastic but the view could not be beaten it was amazing. We really enjoyed our meal in the hotel restaurant and the shuttle bus took us the the sister hotel where there was entertainment on and we really enjoyed the night there. We really can't wait to go back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My rather incredible wife treated my to a Sunday night away on a deal she found on one of her countless discount sites/apps and when I found out I was really excited.

I've heard many good things and couldn't wait to see for myself.

First the location. I mean God. It is simply incredible with views that you do have to see, particularly at dusk/dawn.

We got an upgrade to a Corbett suite for only £20 and I would recommend this. They all have balconies overlooking the loch and their own sauna. Well well worth this wee bit extra.

I must agree with other users that the hotel is looking a little tired but to be honest this is not a huge consideration for us as long as its homely.

There is a pretty informal feel throughout as soon as you arrrive. The desk staff were friendly but I thought the layout a tad odd. You have to walk through the restaurant to get to many of the rooms.

This also applies to the leisure facilities. They are awkward to get to don't have a view despite there being windows. There is a whirlpool bath but its between these windows in a tiled corner. Would have been amazing to be able to sit in the with one of the worlds most gorgeous pieces of nature.

In our room the bath/shower is not divided from the rest of the room and so the windows/mirror got very steamy.

It is a joy however to sit on the balcony with that view and a glass of bubbles.

Now to my main issue with the hotel. The restaurant and bar. I was told years ago by a restaurant manager that if you want to see how good the staff of anywhere is, go on a quiet night. Its easy to be on the ball when the place is buzzing but how are you looked after when this isn't there?

We had three waiting staff with 5 tables. They were perfectly pleasant but didn't really know anything about their menu and spent most of their time away from the dining area, prefering instead to hang out at the kitchen having a chat. After our main we sat with empty plates for 15-20 mins, thankfully we'd bought a bottle of wine and so didn't have to go thirsty.
Also the kitchen have sourced some excellent cheeses for the cheese board and when I asked about the differences I was told there wasn't any.

My first thought was why the heck have them then? I'd also asked for a drink with this course but had to ask again after its arrival.

Essentially if you are expecting the kind of place where you have staff on hand to top up a glass or make sure you don't need anything else then you are going to be disappointed. And I fear I was one of these people. I thought this was the kind of place that I would walk away from raving about the service but I fear not.

The produce was good with both my wife and I being very happy with the quality of the sirloin. Maybe getting some veg or sauce choices with this would have been good though. The sirloin only came with garlic butter.

There were no offers on for meals or anything and each course was on the expensive side (£22 for steak).

Again given the fact this hotel charges about £160 for a room I would expect the bar staff would be trained to a standard where they would know a few cocktails. In no way do I blame the barman, he was an real delight being very chatty and friendly. A real asset. However he's been put in place in the bar as a pint puller. Again no disrespect to him meant.

I asked for a dirty gin martini and he'd not heard of it. I tried explaining but got my drink in a whisky glass with no olive. Or gin.

God love him but he tried.

Overall we both felt this hotel missed the little things but was targeted at an audience that would expect these as standard, with a price that reflects this.

If we did not have a deal on the room I would have been bitterly disappointed.

But please don't let this put you off, we may just have been on inexperienced staff night and this could well be an aberration. We would go back if only for the view and if some of the staff had maybe a wee bit more training then the score would have been 4.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin M
West of Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very efficient no-fuss check-in process on arrival. We stayed in a 'Corbett' room, which was quiet and had fantastic views across the most scenic part of Loch Lomond from the balcony and indeed from inside the room too. The room was clean and comfortable but rather dated (which didn't bother us) although the bathroom area was well designed and modern. Probably not worth the advertised rack rate, but good value if you find an offer. The bar and dining facilities are impressive and make the most of the outstanding views. Service was friendly and prompt - at dinner I decided when the main course arrived that I wanted extra vegetables, and these appeared freshly prepared in a separate dish, within five minutes. The food itself was excellent - good menu choices and well-presented. We would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffeild
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have just stopped at the Lodge for the 5th time,we had a Graham room,we have stayed in quite a few different rooms over the years and considering this room had no balcony the view over the loch was spectacular.
What can I say about the food to describe the fantastic quality well Ive said it FANTASTIC.
The only complaint would be to describe some of the fixtures and fittings are getting ready for a revamp.
We can highly recommend this hotel for the wow factor and will be there again 2014

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in a double graham room. We were quite pleased as when we booked we were told the only room left was a twin room with no view so we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been given a better room than expected with a lovely view of the loch. The staff were extremely helpful, my parents were staying in the sister hotel and the staff organised the hotel minibus to take them back to their hotel following our meal.....which was also excellent. We ate from a set menu, which for the quality of food, was actually very good value for money. It was £25 for three courses, I had lobster and my partner had steak, both of which were excellent. The only negative thing I can say was really not the fault of the hotel, in the park next to the hotel there were a group 'boy racers'! who revved their engines and blared their music until after 2 in the morning, not the most restful night sleep for me! Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to use the leisure facilities but we will definitely be returning to try them out!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

On arrival reception staff very friendly and welcoming, stayed in Corbett room which had excellent view across the loch, lovely balcony which would be great in summer. Room very clean although bit dark, excellent facilities on down side bathroom needing bit of a revamp. Liesure complex was worth visit although needs some extra seating were you could relax following swim, sauna, jaccuzzi. Evening meal excellent and good value for money. Only compliant is hot breakfast bit of a let down, although continental breakfast had plenty of choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!