“Could be so much better than it is”

and 1 more site!
Drimsynie Estate Holiday Village
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed in an Eagle lodge. Drimsynie has a lot to offer but I think it falls a bit short of it's potential adn the owners need to reaise their game. The place hadn't really seen any investment in its decor for at least 20 years, consequently, the place was tired looking. On the plus side the lodge was well cleaned and tidy and the kitchen facilties were quite good (a new fridge freezer had been installed recently).The scenery was stunning and the activities on offer are great for families. On the negative side the things we noticed were, the remote control for the DVD player didn't work (batteries needed replaced and backs on both DVD and TV remote were missing), nothing to hang towels on in the en-suites. The TV in the double bedroom didn't work at all. In the hotel itself we were impressed by the play area but it's a pity that half of the machines didn't work - 3 year olds aren't that accomodating when being tiold they can't go on the tractor becuase it's out of order and similarly for many thigns to play on. The swimming pool was good and the changing facilties are amongst the best we've seen in hotels with pools. The ice rink was open when we got there but sadly had to close "because of health and safety" the day after and remained so for the rest of our stay. The 9 hole golf course is very handy and is reasonably well kept considering the amount of use it must get. The restaurant was good with a good selection and plenty of child friendly items on the menu. The fish and hips were excellent, the fish in particular being very freshly cooked (unlike some of the frozen yack you get served in other places - this was clearly freshly prepared and cooked). Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the men's toilets in the hotel. They are an abomination. I can't really say anything good about them. No soap, no paper towels, the toilets are stained and smell awful. The sink is barely servicable and after I'd gone into them with my 3 year old, I took him to the swimming changing rooms thereafter and used the facitlties there since I could be sure he wouldn't pick up some infection from simply being in them. For a hotel, I would say they are easily the worst I've ever been in - if you've seen the film Trainspotting and the scene in the toilet in the bookies, you'll have some idea of what I mean. On the whole, we enjoyed our stay but I'd like to know the place was getting invested in before I made a return trip - there are other places with as much to offer with better decor and a feeling that the owners are looking after the place.

2  Thank megatone
There are newer reviews for Drimsynie Estate Holiday Village

Reviewed October 22, 2011

On arrival at reception I was told that as I had not payed to be moved from room 13 we had to be moved to room 7 the person then phoned somebody Who said that we could have room 13 . After opening the door to room 13 we found that there was no z-bed in the room for my son so within half an hour I was back up at reception to notify them about this and they said that this would fix it as soon as possible. We then went up for dinner at the Rob-Roy we all took the £9.99 deal,the pizza my son ordered(from a gleneagles trained chef) had green oil rings on the cheese and the cheese looked more green than yellow! After dinner we returned to our room to find that the z-bed still had not arrived. On our way up to play table-tennis I spoke to somebody about this and he said that he would sort it out for us, so later when we came back to our room. The bed was there that saved me from heading back up to reception again. Breakfast in the morning was the best in all our times up here (5 before this). One more point I would like to make is that on the badminton people book and then don't turn up wasting a space for somebody else.

Room Tip: Go for a new room 9-18
1  Thank opmax
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My Family consiting of 8 adults and 1 baby ((Age range from 2yrs - 21Yrs+ - 40+ and 70+)plus skye the Westie stayed at Drimsynie resort for 4 nights on 03rd Oct 2011. Despite the non stop rain, Hail stones and thunder storms we all had a fantastic holiday. We stayed in "Court number 5" The accommodation was of the Highest standard both in terms of cleanliness and facilities. Each of the 4 bedrooms has a private bathroom ,Fresh bedding, plenty of storage space and wall mounted flat screen TVs. The kitchen facilities and equipment are the best I have come across in self catering accommodation ever. Everyone enjoyed all of the facilities including the Gymnasium, swimming pool, snooker, indoor bowls , ice skating and childs soft play etc. and Thanks to the pre paid family pass this was terrific value for money.
Every member of staff that we came in contact with either in reception or bar and retaurant were friendly, courteous and extremely helpful.
With all of the surrounding spectacular scenery (including the drive in) this is the perfect place for a relaxing break away and we will all most definately be back.

1  Thank kathleen s
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We went for a family break. Lodge was nice enough but with a very strange smell which we think was from the sofa! Saturday night dinner dance not great, waited a long time for main course, an hour and a half, by which time too late for kids who didn't get any as had to go to their bed! Were promised a visit by manager the next day but never arrived. Other members of family subjected to very bad language from fellow guests at lunch on the Sunday and an aggressive waiter and rude restaurant manager who insisted incorrectly that a few ice creams hadn't been paid for!

Swimming pool could be good but by time we went, at 5pm, main impression was of dirty and soaking changing rooms - swimming pool changing rooms needs to be regularly attended to but doesn't seem to happen. Ice rink similarly shabby. Restaurants and communal areas dated and dark.

Lochgoilhead is a such a beautiful location but for me the prices you pay here should equal good quality accommodation and associated facilities and this definitely doesn't deliver.

2  Thank lojoaboyne
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My new wife and I got married in the old part of the Drimsynie House Hotel during the weekend of the 16th of September.

We have both been frequent visitors to the area for many years and decided it would be the ideal place to host our Wedding. Everything was fantastic on the day and all of our friends and family had a great weekend. They all said they would go back to Lochgoilhead for a weekend break in the future.

We stayed in one of the newly updated Premier Osprey Lodges which now has a very nice fresh modern decor including new sofas, a large dinning table and chairs and even a large flat screen TV. The lodge had a large living room, dinning area, kitchen, bathroom, twin room, double room and an en-suite bathroom. We have a 6 month old daughter but found the twin room had plenty of space for a travel cot to be set up in (the hotel also supplied the cot for a very reasonable price).

Family and friends stayed in the Hotel and in the Lapwing Lodges. I would agree that some of the lodges could do with a bit of updating but what you get currently is still very good value for money and comfortable to live in for your stay. I understand that much of the site is being upgraded this year and hopefully this will stop people moaning about tired looking carpets etc.

Since we were staying the Premier Osprey Lodge we were given towels by the hotel. Other guests staying in the Lapwing lodges had to bring their own but this is made clear to you in your booking and no one had any complaints.

The hotel staff and managers were excellent throughout our stay and did a fantastic job helping with our Wedding day. It should be kept in mind that the Hotel is not a Wedding venue every weekend and they do have other events and things going on, but the effort they put into our day was outstanding.

The ceremony room was done up to a very high standard and the meal afterwards was one of the best I've ever had. If you ever get the chance to sample the Sticky Toffee Pudding then please don't miss out.

The rest of the weekend was mainly spent enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful scenery the area has to offer.

The only issue we had was the slightly slow service at for breakfast and dinner in the bar. I know this can get people really annoyed but this has been the first year I've been to the bar and had table service for your order. Previously you had to go to the service window in the back to order and pay. I suspect the staff are still getting used to the new system and perhaps this was cause of the problem. I have no doubt the service will improve. Anyway, considering the great value on the breakfast menu, a slight wait doesn't really bother me.

I've noticed on a few complaints that the road into Lochgoilhead seems to cause some bad reviews. How anyone can fault a Hotel for there being a single lane country road on the way in is beyond me. Anyway, if you take your time going along the road you will be fine, and you might get a chance to take in some of the scenery the area has to offer. For me, the road in is where my holiday to Lochgoilhead begins!

So to sum up, we both, and all of our guests, had a brilliant weekend in Drimsynie. Thanks to all the staff for making our Wedding day just the way we wanted it. No doubt we will be back again soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cameron S
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and daughter stayed here for September weekend. It was our first time in a caravan (we had stayed in the Hotel the last time) and to be honest thought that they were really well equipped clean and comfortable, so why the poor mark you might ask, service or lack of it!

The site was very busy, it was a holiday weekend in Glasgow which is only an 1-1.5 hrs away so I assume this was the reason but the site had the bookings in advance so they must have known how many people were staying that weekend but they seemed totally unprepared. I had a warning of the poor service when it took me 30 minutes to get a coffee and hot chocolate on the saturday afternoon, which meant standing at the coffee counter for all of that time given it is self service. I should have taken the warnings and eaten elsewhere but stupidly we went to the Saturday Night Dinner Dance, be there 6.30pm for 7pm we were told, after quite a considerable time and several complaints we finally got a drink served but had to take it back as it was wrong, by 8.30 we were still waiting on food although when it finally did arrive the order was incorrect, and to be honest throughly underwhelming. The Kids price for the dance was a steal at £11, or should I say daylight robbery! Two slices of bought in pizza and a few chips, or macaroni cheese were the options we got although we were offered ice-cream for dessert, again after we complained. It totally ruined our night and we left at 9.30pm before the dance even started. Thankfully we decided not to eat there the following night and used the caravan kitchen, which is not what I want of a holiday but it proved to be the correct decision as we met our family on the Sunday night, they had already complained about the time being taken for their food, the pizza (adult this time) was inedible and was taken off the bill, they were offered an alternative but it was all too little too late (much too late) & they had then to go back to their house to make something to eat for themselves. On a seperate occassion it took almost 45 minutes another complaint to get three tubs of ice-cream for the kids.

I am not a serial complainer and have never been in the positon where we have really had to make such constant complaints, and although we were by far not the only ones this didnt make me feel any better and really ruined our weekend.

We have been there twice now and it was my in-laws 4th/5th time, my sister-in-law was even hoping to have her wedding there but this unmitigating disaster has certainly chaged my views and her plans too.

The area is stunning the accomodation is excellent but on this occassion the qualtiy of food and service in the clubhouse was a truly abysmal. So if you are looking for a fully self catering base go for it otherwise think twice and perhaps make sure you are holidaying out of season when it is not busy.

1  Thank Ann3da
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed in an eagle lodge Mon-Frid. The lodge was a good size and very clean,. Be warned all activities are at an extra charge. Refundable deposits are also required! £5 per towel, £5 deposit for bowling jack, £2 for pool cue's, which is inconvenient to say the least.
They have obviously had a bad experience with some visitors as there are 'dont do' signs everywhere which I feel cause a unhealthy environment. You have to buy a 'swim/food' ticket at £7.95 to gain access to the swimming pool, which has a £4.00 food ticket attached even if you dont want food.

There is plenty to do at an extra cost, lodges are comfortable and clean,food in the rob roy was of a good standard, scenery was fantastic.
Main building in need of upgrading.
Not sure if we would hurry back...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
customerservice03, Head of Marketing at Drimsynie Estate Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Hi there,

Glad you liked our Eagle lodges. They are fantastic and my family tend to choose Eagles when they come to stay.
With regard to the Swim Food pass, it's always better value to buy our Rover Pass which is £85 for a short break per lodge. That gets you access to almost everything and can be as little as £7 per person per day depending on how many you have in your accommodation.
Deposits are essential I'm afraid. We need to make sure we get our equipment back, but as I'm sure you discovered, there is never any problem in getting your deposit back.

Here's a tip - if you buy your Rover Pass when you book your accommodation with our telephone advisors, you get a £10 discount per pass.

Hope you come again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochgoilhead
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Lochgoilhead
The Shore House
The Shore House
#1 of 2 in Lochgoilhead

Been to Drimsynie Estate Holiday Village? Share your experiences!