Clachan Cottage Hotel
Achray House Hotel(St. Fillans)
$144
Hotels.com
Monachyle Mhor(Balquhidder)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsclachan cottagegroupon dealbreakfast roomboth nightsloch viewpool tablestaff were friendlybar areasteak piebar foodloch earnscallopscullen skinkboth morningsdog friendly hotelnight breakcooked breakfast
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We visited the Clachan Cottage using a voucher purchased from a deal site and stayed a Friday and Saturday night. The price for 2 nights bed and breakfast would have been £236 (£118 per night), thankfully this wasn’t the price we paid else I would have been quite disappointed, However we had to pay a extra £40 for the privilege to stay a Saturday evening, Even though the hotel was almost empty. The views from the hotel are fantastic, standing in the car park you are on the banks of Loch Earn, the cottage itself from the outside looks as you would expect, inside it is however a little tired looking. Our room was a Loch View, while small the room was clean and neat. As has been previously mentioned we were both baffled by the paper bath mat embossed with the words bath mat (it definitely needed explaining that this was its supposed purpose). The room only had a double bed and I suspect most people are used to a larger (king size) bed so for us this wasn’t comfortable, we did ask if there was a room with a larger bed and we were offered another family room for the 2 of us, we decided against this as the family room was freezing cold and very large to heat with the single electric radiator we had in our room. As our original Loch View room was much smaller this heater was enough to keep us warm.

One thing I have to mention is the tea making facilities, the kettle we originally found in our room was disgusting, the bottom of the kettle was stained with the brown scum and it was in desperate need of replacing. As we didn’t want to cause any problems we told reception that the kettle wasn’t working in order to get a replacement. The replacement kettle was very slightly less disgusting. The following morning we were told that maintenance tested the kettle and it was working fine, perhaps it was our fault that we didn’t just say that the kettle was disgusting but this leads to what seems to be a major issue with the Clachan Cottage Hotel, they have a maintenance team (or person) and it would appear there job is to prevent the owner from having to purchase new or replacement items. It costs perhaps £10 for kettle, there is no reason at all that a disgustingly dirty kettle should be anywhere near a hotel. (picture of kettle was the replacement we were given, so you can imagine the first one!) We didn't use this to say the least.

On the first night we just planned to stay and eat at the hotel, we asked when the restaurant opened but were told it wasn’t open at all and we could only get food in the bar, which we did. The deco in the bar was homely, with a real fire centrally located, but it felt nothing like a homely country bar/pub, the large screen TV’s adorning the walls playing endless live sports and the pool table were out of place but something we could ignore, the thrash metal music playing in the background was however more than a little annoying. Food was very average, one of our group had the burger and assumed it was simply a frozen, tasteless chunk of cheap meat, for approximately £14 this was disappointing. Breakfast however was good, But can't go wrong with eggs and bacon.

On our first morning there was no hot water in half the hotel and no water at all in the other half due to a series of small waterfalls that appeared through the roof of one of the main corridors. How or why this happened I do not know but there was no mention of it or the lack of water by the hotel management, they just arranged a series of buckets on the floor and went about their day.

Unfortunately based on our visit it is difficult to recommend the Clachan Cottage Hotel, the views and surrounding area are fantastic, but with so many other hotels in the area to consider you will not be lacking choice of places to stay.

And can I also say that if (neil) has any witty comments regarding the honest reviews please contact me, as I can see from past reviews people have left you have responded in a very unprofessional manner. In this kind of business you need to be able to take constructive criticism.

Room Tip: A loch view would be my only suggestion as its a nice view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Tg278
neiladdison, Owner at Clachan Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

anyone who knows us will know that this is a nasty fictitious review by a customer who threatened us on arrival that if he had to pay a valid supplement we would receive a scathing review on trip advisor and that was before they even got a room key! let u be the judge, there was a group of four hence the other similar review.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the hotel last weekend with my son, daughter and son-in-law. On arrival we were asked for £40 per room "supplement" for a Saturday night, now I realise it states this on the voucher but its a bit steep for the rooms they have on offer, especially room 7 "dog friendly room" The size of the room was ok, bathroom was huge but why have carpet in a bathroom? not very hygienic! the carpet was not too clean, black stains behind the toilet, surely a tiled or vinyl floor would be a much better idea. The main problem for me was the bed, it was clean enough, no mattress protector but very soft and most uncomfortable. On the positive side the shower was very efficient. I was unsure if the room had been serviced , there were fresh teabags and sugar, so someone had come in on the Saturday but the beds were not touched, I had spread the covers over but my hot water bottle was still on the sheet so the bed did not look like it had been made. Maybe this is usual in this hotel. Another problem was that both days the heating went off between 5 and 7am, now I suppose that people might still be asleep at that time but because of the bed I was wide awake before 5am! The room got cold very quickly and there was no one about when I went downstairs to ask about this. I did mention it to staff but they seemed to be mystified as to what the problem might have been.
We ate in the bar the first night but the food was not great! I asked if the fish was fresh but I was not convinced about that. It was quite tasteless and the batter was soggy. Needless to say we ate elsewhere the following night. It is interesting to read other guest reviews and find that people have had the same experience as ours. Namely, the food quality, the price of cans of fizzy juice that was charged at £1.50 per can although it seems that the owner disagrees with this! The lady at the bar on Friday night was very pleasant as was the lady at breakfast. There was a bit of a situation on Sunday morning when the bacon was a bit undercooked, when we pointed this out the lady quickly changed it for us. I believe the chef was a bit late, we were in the breakfast room quite early so it could have been an oversight. We found the breakfast to be good apart from this. I only mentioned the heating problem to the man at reception (Neil?) on Sunday, it seemed pointless mentioning the bed. Can I just add that if the owner or manager has a problem with this review to get in touch with me. I have noticed that there have been a few really cheeky remarks when people have criticised the hotel. I do not make a habit of submitting a review that is not fair and truthful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank explorer50uk

this reviewer was also miffed at having to pay a supplement and part of the same crowd, anyone who has been here before will know that the prices are not what they state and also know that this is malicious. you can read our menu online and see the proper meal prices, trip advisor at its best.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend stay at this hotel, it was part of a Wowcher promotion. It cost us £89 for 2 people, 2 days B&B, a real bargain.
Everything was excellent, the staff, the room and the food were all spot on. It's a great base to explore Western Scotland, Killin was a particular favourite.
Many people have complained on this forum, which we think is wholly unjust. Yes things might require a slight upgrade in places, but, frankly, if you want the Ritz, you have to pay Ritz prices, what do you expect for £89 for 2 ?!!!!!
Alan and his team were very obliging and we cannot wait to return...
Thank you Alan.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kezzab1976
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Poppy cock to all those that have written negative reviews,and shame on you if you used this a Groupon voucher thn wrote negative reports. First class stay from start to finish. Warm welcome, cosy, clean and comfy room with good facilities. Breath taking views across the Loch. What more can you ask for??

My dietry needs were catered for above and beyond the call of duty - thank you.
Will remember the stay celebrating my husbands 50 th birthday for many years to come.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MillyMolly2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

First of all don't believe all those negative comments you read. Stayed for a special weekend break, Location is excellent, views breathtakingly fabulous and great to wake up to, if you book a Loch view room,
Neil and his staff were all very approachable, helpful and friendly , no complaints at all .Room was clean and spacious, Food was to a good standard but maybe a slightly different menu could be offered in the Rowan restaurant for those special occasions. Bar was lovely to relax in or to enjoy a bar meal, with the bonus of a fantastic real fire to keep you warm.
Thanks to all staff, Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: IF possible ask for a Loch view room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple