“You have to go! Food amazing!”

Bridge Of Lochay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Killin B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay at this hotel but know friends who have who loved it!
We recently went for a meal to the Bridge of Lochay Hotel whilst on a short holiday to Killin. The meal and service was absolutely excellent!!

We were received with a warm welcome and had a pre-dinner drink in the very cosy bar. We had our 11year old son with us who was able to choose from the children's menu or main menu.

The food was absolutely delicious:) The lamb was the best I have ever tasted and everyone who was with us enjoyed what they ordered. It was such a wonderful place we would most definitely return and stay at the hotel too which is in a fabulous spot just outside Killin.

It's a must to try it!!!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had a superb Sunday lunch here today. Set prices for 1, 2 or 3 courses - very reasonable. Chose the roast beef which was lovely and tender and cooked to our liking. It was served with an enormous yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes with vegetables on the side. We then had desserts which were scrummy - and hopefully calorie free.
We finished with coffee which was freshly prepared and we received a wee square of fudge with the bill.
Would definately recommend, but make sure you book as it was certainly busy and I would hate for someone to be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights while touring the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area. Killin makes a great base location since we were easily able to see the Rest and Be Thankful pass area to the east, the entire Loch Lomond/Trossachs area as well as Loch Rannoch/Killicrankie/Pitlochry area to the west.

We have a lovely corner room (#4) which, according to the hotel, has the best view. Windows on two walls overlooked the River Lochay and Bridge of Lochay. The water as it tumbled over the rocks gave us a wonderful sound to fall asleep to.

The hotel is clean and comfortable and the location just on the outskirts of town perfect. We had dinner in the restaurant on two occasions and both meals were very good.

Room Tip: Room 4 is a corner room and has lovely views of the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was our car club Xmas do but my husband had arranged an early 60th birthday surprise for me as well. He asked for the sweeter prosecco & paid over the odds for the bottles which turned out to be very dry ! As I do not like dry wine this was the 1st disappointment. The cake that he had paid £50 for was very dry & we were served the base of the cake only. The nice part of my cake was never offered to us the next moring to take home so I do hope the staff enjoyed it ! Our rooom had been freshly painted ( why not use the non smelling paint ? ) & as I get a headache with the smell of paint we had to be moved but I have to say both rooms were very nice. The meal at night was acceptable and we all ahd a lovely time. Such a shame that my husbands requests were not carried out and that he paid so much for so little. I did phone about the rest of my cake but was told I should have asked for it !

Room Tip: A room with a view of the falls but not stinking of paint would be a help !
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a wonderful meal one evening whilst staying on the caravan site opposite - it had been recommended by previous caravanners. Not many people in at the time but made to feel very welcome and the food was absolutely delicious. Would be a great New Year venue.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night on my way across Scotland from the west coast to the east coast. It was exactly as I thought it would be. That should not be taken as either a compliment or a critisism, just a statement of fact. It is a typical Scottish inn, remote and fairly basic but with the necessary qualitiy of accommodation to be classified as a hotel. At a tad under £70 for the room you do not expect the ultimate in luxury. The room was fairly basic but comfortable enough.
As regards the food, there was quite a good choice, portion sizes were good and pricing was very fair. All three courses I had were really nice but the party on the adjacent table who were staying at a local caravan site and had called for an evening meal complained their lamb shank was tough, the cabbage not cooked and the gnocchi was too rich.
The hotel is situated on it's own in a very scenic locality and with ample parking. I would stay here again. It is quite a homely place and pleasant enough but I can't get too enthusiastic about it. Others obviously do though as they have quite a few cards on display written by former guests saying how much they had enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Topdeckman
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We looked forward to our meal at the hotel as we had enjoyed excellent food here in the past but were sadly disappointed at the quality of the food on the night.
We had not booked, but that should not have influenced the quality of the food.
My husband's lamb shank was overcooked,dry and tough - properly done, it should have melted off the bone.
I had belly pork. There was one miserable portion, served on a bed of cold, lumpy mashed potato and some slimy courgette.
We felt so let down, but we didn't complain, just paid up and left.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SuzieScott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killin
Ardeonaig Hotel
#7 of 14 in Killin
The Courie Inn
The Courie Inn
#2 of 14 in Killin

Been to Bridge Of Lochay Hotel? Share your experiences!