“Notes from an art critic”
Review of Killin Hotel

Killin Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Killin B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great food - Nick had a giant lamb shank and I beautiful mussels. Great atmosphere in both the rustic bar and the conservatory with view of Loch Tay. Best of all is the reception area, authentic from bygone times including 50ies' scripts, shutter lift and nice manager in old fashioned booth. All lovely, tasty and tasteful. But then you get to the annex for your bedroom and there it is: bedroom art. Generic photographs on canvas of flowers, scenery and clouds that could be from anywhere in the world. All this bingo matched with some vases that contain artificial flowers. Comfortable enough room despite the irritating decor. Sorry not to give them the last star. Will do once they have considered the art.

Room Tip: Don't go into annex.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Claudia Z
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Bar ok but the rest of the hotel needs updating, the lift was noisy from our room and did keep me awake, the place itself was brilliant even though it rained the hotel was a let down. The food in the hotel was good although we asked the waitress for a pudding menu and she never returned with one so we gave up. The staff behind the bar were nice and polite.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Had a great weekend with my wife at the killin hotel using a kgb deal, never been before but will definitely be back. Its a ideal place for the active outdoors types or a restful break like me & my wife had. The hotel is is in a great location with spectacular views, the rooms are clean & tidy & the food is great. I would highly recommend the killin to everybody.

1  Thank splash64
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is an old hotel which has had various bits added to it over the years. The reception on entering was efficient and reasonably business like. The lift is out of the ark. In fact it might be even older than that! Having said that it got me to where I needed to be and saved me having to carry my cases up the flights of stairs. The room was adequate in dimensions and seemed to have been recently refurbished. The double bed was comfortable but very close to the ground. It felt like sleeping on a futon. The ensuite didn’t have an electric shaving point.
The public areas had a feeling of being used and in need of refurbishment. The breakfast room lacked charm in the looks department but more importantly the food was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Killin Hotel is a fine old building standing at the western end of Loch Tay and we stayed there in early May 2013. It has a large reception area (with tartan carpet, naturally), 3 eating areas, a small quiet lounge and a small bar which has seen better days and needs a refurb. Our bedroom was a reasonable size and was very clean. The large en suite bathroom had no heating and was quite chilly in the cool May weather. We ate in the hotel on the first night. The menu is quite expensive (e.g. £6 for starters, £15 for mains and £5 for desserts) but the food quality was quite average. My roast salmon, for example, had a soft texture and was layered in whole grain mustard while the vegetables were just blanched rather than cooked al dente. Service was very good, however. The breakfast was a combination of self-service buffet and waitress service. The food was good and plentiful and the waitress very efficient and friendly. The hotel was excellent value for the price we paid for our two night stay including breakfast and one meal and we would certainly stay again on a similar deal.

Room Tip: Room 45 looks out onto a rooftop and has no views at all so avoid it if this is important to you.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Travelled and stayed as part of a walking group of 60 people from Bandon Co.Cork Ireland .
The welcoming smiles from the staff at reception set the tone for what turned out to be an amazing hotel.
The food and bar facilities were excellent.Andy and his staff were very professional, helpfull and extremely friendly. We would definitely recomend the Killin Hotel and we certainly will make a return visit !!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed two nights recently at the Killin Hotel. The food is fantastic and I would definitely recommend eating there! The portions are well rounded and balanced it really is lovely food. Unfortunately the room let it down it was very small, I found several insects and I realised the hotel was pet friendly after finding several dog or cat hairs and sneezing most of the first night as I have a slight allergy to dogs and cats. I think the room just needed a deep clean. I should have checked first whether pets were allowed. On checking out our bill had been mixed up with another room and I was rather bemused, took a little sorting out but otherwise staff were nice. Can I just ask the hotel NOT to serve frozen bread at breakfast though it really was awful and unless you live in outer Mongolia I don't see why you cannot serve fresh bread. Apart from this it was ok. Not sure I would stay again though, sorry.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killin
Ardeonaig Hotel
#3 of 14 in Killin
The Courie Inn
The Courie Inn
#2 of 14 in Killin

Been to Killin Hotel? Share your experiences!