“Delicious apple pie - please try!”
Review of Old Mill Cafe - CLOSED

Old Mill Cafe
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We live locally and we are running out of placed to visit where you can get really good home baking. Me and my husband decided to give The Old Mill for coffee and cake as I noticed a few months ago, it had changed hands. We did say we'll give it a go but if we don't like it, we won't be back. I am very fussy about anywhere I eat, and I find so many placed around here just don't do it right. But I can tell you - we were both very happy and will definitely be back. The coffee came, lovely and hot. We were told the apple pie had just been made so we opted for that and it was by far the best homemade piece of cake I can remember having anywhere - very well done to whoever made it. They did only have apple pie of carrot cake to chose from, and I did ask if they varied the cakes. I was told that they will be introducing 2 more cakes so I'm looking forward to trying those in the near future. I'm also looking forward to trying a sandwich - lets hope the bread doesn't disappoint me.

I just wish they did some sort of theme evening meals as it would be a stunning place to have dinner in the evening because its so pretty and relaxing inside with a good choice of music playing in the background.

I do hope it works and I wish you every success.

1  Thank Gail S

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stopped on the busy A85 for a spot of lunch and was welcomed to the Old Mill Cafe by Jack the owner. It was a lovely day and we were shown to a table outside with absolutly amazing views of the nearby mountains (still with snow!) The service was super friendly and quick and the food (home made tomato soup, fish and chips with salad all washed down with lashings of fresh tea) was as tasty and well presented as a country house hotel costing twice as much. A little gem on the road between Crianlarich and Killin and definetly worth these very reasonable prices.

William & Helen

1  Thank William-Helen
JackDabr, Owner at Old Mill Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2015

Thank You for your kind review.
We always put our best effort to making sure that all our guests are satisfied with our wee Café and appreciate the fact that you made an effort to let as know how did we do.
Knowing that you enjoyed your visit here is the best reward we could hope for.
Hope to see you again in the future.

Regards

Team at Old Mill Café.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Following some great reviews on this site, decided to visit the Old Flax Mill for a Sunday Carvery Lunch. Well, it seems this place was taken over about a month ago and they no longer do the carvery. They now focus on all day breakfast! We went elsewhere for lunch instead.

JackDabr, Owner at Old Mill Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Hello thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were disappointed. First i would like to confirm, old flax mill doesn't exist as such, we are now called old mill cafe, and it has been quite a battle with trip advisor to get old account and open new one with new name so i understand it may be misleading. All that said, I would like to point out the fact that from what I understand after reading your review. You seem to be disappointed with fact of management change, rather than with a food or service. As a newly started business, it is very important for us what kind of reviews we are getting,as this creates image of us online and let people know what to expect. We try to do our best to make our guests feel comfortable, welcomed as well as satisfied with food we are serving. Truth is we do not do carvery as previous owners did we aren't restaurant it is more of cafe, food stop, but we do have a small selection of hot foods, as well as sandwiches, and cakes to enjoy. Of course i do understand your disappointment when you are expecting big carvery, with 5 kinds of meats, vegetables and plenty of starters to choose from, as Andrew used to prepare them and instead you find that new owners seized doing that, but i personally feel that this is hardly a reason to say to everybody who may see rating of your review and may assume that the place itself was a disappointment.
Considering all that, would greatly appreciate if you could reconsider your review, Which i find misleading, weather it is actually something wrong with, what we do, or how we do it, or is it just disappointment in change of hand and unavailability of food which you were used to eat in here when previous owners have been running it.
Of course if there might have been anything that your opinion was disappointing on our side, Please let us know about it as we always welcome any feedback that may help us improve.
Kind Regards
Jacek Dabrowski
Old mill cafe.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

stopped in here on way back from fort William today, had the best cooked breakfast for a long time, nothing was any trouble got pot of hot water so that I could have my tea just the way I like it.
good value for money.

Many people wont know but this place has seen a change of management this year so please all give them a try.

2  Thank Angelam257
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch on the advice of the chef from the old smiddy and was not disappointed.

Nice warm welcome from friendly staff and the food at the CarveryWent was fantastic. I went for the rib of beef and roast pork with crackling the meat was perfectly cooked and very tasty. Chef made sure you had lots of all you wanted :)

Fantastic value and excellent food.