“Basic but enjoyable”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Very friendly owner, not overly chatty but she was very welcoming. We arrived mid afternoon and it was empty, but were reassured that lunchtime had been busy. My husband and I both ordered the home made leek and potato soup, followed by the fish, chips and peas - it was very tasty and fresh. The decor could do with a little freshening up, but on the whole it was really quite a pleasant visit
Jan & Dan

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Came here with my parents and 2 small kids. Everyone really enjoyed the carvery, the food was very tasty and there was plenty of it. I like the fact that there was plenty of choice for all 3 courses. My kids had been hoping for pizza but wolfed down their roast, including the veggies!

The lady who was serving was a bit anxious that the kids should stay in their seats, she says that licensing regulations have changed regarding this, so maybe tricky for some families here. We took out kids to run Olympic laps in the car park between courses and they mostly stayed put.

Everyone enjoyed their food and I think it was very good value at 15pounds for 2courses. It wasn't very busy when we were there, but not overly quiet either.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I first visited this restaurant many years ago and, remembering that the food had been very good, I decided to treat my Partner to a meal as we were driving past, en route from the Islands to our home in Fife. I truly wish I'd trusted first impressions, gotten back in the car and kept driving!

When we entered at approximately 7.30pm on a Monday night there were only four others customers two just finished dining in the main restaurant and another two in the bar area, having a snack, so not exactly rushed off their feet or fighting off custom. The woman who had been reading a paper behind the bar, pointed out the dinner menu on the chalkboard, then almost immediately attempted to take our order.

When my Partner said that he'd hadn't quite decided, she suggested drinks to begin with, asked us to take a seat in the bar area and fetched these. Then instead of taking our food order, she excused herself and went off to clear the newly vacated table in the restaurant, which truly could have waited as it wasn't as if there was a shortage of tables! I was surprised to note that the table was "cleaned" with a cloth and some pledge furniture polish - anti-bacterial spray would have been more effective and less of an irritant to those with allergies.

She then came back and took our food order, called this through to the kitchen and then returned to the restaurant to re-set the table she'd just "cleaned". It became apparent to me that this was to be "our" table - a solitary little table for two in the middle of an empty restaurant.

After attending to this, she returned to the bar and resumed her reading of the paper.
Some time later she waltzed past us with plates in her hands, asking us to follow her and, as expected, she walked to the solitary little table in the middle of the restaurant and plonked the plates on the table, then invited us to take a seat, before saying “Enjoy your meal” and waltzing off back to the bar again!

Once seated at the table, we had time to take in the restaurant in more detail. The four tables which were fully set out complete with wine glasses and bottles of water (one for two, two for four and one for six) all had “reserved” signs on them, but by the time we left (around 8.15-8.30) there were still no further customers, so these tables were obviously “just for show”! Of the remaining tables, one was fully set, complete with a jug of water and the others only partially and curiously despite the jug of water on the empty table next to us, we weren’t afforded an offer of the same.

Meanwhile, our forlorn little table bore the overpowering scent of “Pledge”, whilst the flower vase and cruet set were crying out for a damned good clean – there was dirt on these which could only have been acquired over time.

The menu was quite limited and although my Partner found his venison steak to be excellent, I was quite disappointed with my roast lamb, but on reflection this may have been left over from Sunday’s carvery. We had planned to have dessert, but decided to cut our losses and leave instead, as we’d already experienced enough of our host’s eccentricities and poor customer service.

She was polite, but not especially friendly and we felt that our order was rushed, we were forced to sit a table in the middle of an empty restaurant, lacking in atmosphere when we could have been offered our choice of tables. It may have been my imagination, but I felt that she didn’t think we were good enough for “her restaurant”, despite the fact that for the majority of our visit we were the only customers they had – there was no attempt to make us feel welcome or that our custom was valued – if this IS her restaurant, she’s in the wrong business and won’t succeed for much longer with that attitude!

1  Thank Rosie W
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This place has a good reputation for its Sunday roasts, we thought we'd try it for coffee. However living in the city we are spoiled for choice, sweetened machine coffee, is not high on our list. Service was polite but the chairs are something I would expect in an olde English pub. Smart on the outside, needs upgrading on the inside. Some tweaks and this could be a destination coffee place during the day. I'm sure it will suit many, but more investment is probably required. Wifi would also be welcome for daytime holiday makers.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Aside from the fact it's location is in beautiful Scottish countryside this restaurant offers a buffet full of delicious local meat, seafood and yummy homemade desserts. Excellent value for money as they offer caviar, scallops, prawns, artichoke hearts, salmon, etc. And that's just the appetiser buffet! Save room for your main course of meats such as local venison, pheasant, chicken, lamb, beef and the best pork with crackling you will ever have! I could not make up my mind what I wanted so Andrew (owner/chef) gave me a bit of everything and handed me a heaped plate fit for a sumo wrestler! the ham in honey & Ginger sauce was incredible and the roast chicken was melt in your mouth. Whether you live in Scotland, it's your first time visiting or you are like me (Scottish and now living abroad) this restaurant is WELL worth checking out. I was going to become a vegetarian but changed my mind after sampling Andrews carvery! 'nuff said!!!