“Excellent food and nice people”

Inversnaid Bunkhouse
Ranked #1 of 2 Inversnaid B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a really lovely bistro, excellent value for money and really lovely food. We didn't stay in the bunkhouse itself but would not hesitate in the future. Has free wifi, great location, good selection of drinks. All in all very good

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Michchar

Reviewed August 6, 2012

a welcome stop after a long, hard day. Rooms & facilities as you'd expect from a bunkhouse. The staff were very friendly (especially Johnny), nothing was too much bother for him, great to sample genuine Scottish hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Inversnaid bunkhouse has poster advertising along much of the West Highland way which claims that they will collect you from the way and return you there in the morning. They do not. I phoned to book in and was told nobody was available to collect me. They said it was only a mile to walk. It may be only a mile but it is a mile up the steepest hill I have ever seen. Not what you want when you have just completed one of the most arduous sections of the walk. Despite the fact that there were around ten walkers in the bunkhouse, the owners did not bother to turn up and return us to the way in the morning. There was a driver there, but he made some excuses about insurance and disappeared off in his car. This guy had a seriously bad ' cant do and cant be bothered attitude'. There are no cooking facilities in the bunkhose ( I had to set up my stove in the dormitory to cook my meal. There is catering upstairs if you are prepared to pay, but its just a guy chucking packets of pasta out. The same ignorant staff member left music playing in the cafe area all night which echoed throughout the building, preventing anyone from getting any sleep. The baggage transfer services do not always call here, and indeed the same young guy refused to take my bag onwards up the way ( Despite the fact that he was already doing this for another walker. ) Dont be fooled by the posters and pretty leaflet, This place is owned by people who couldn't care less about you.

Room Tip: There are a couple of tent pitches further on up the way ( about 100m ) They are serviced free by th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank alexcealex
InversnaidBunkhouse, Owner at Inversnaid Bunkhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Hi,

Whilst I accept that you were very annoyed by the lack of our free taxi service on that night it does not give you the right to be abusive and act in a threatening manner to my staff. Your review is a nonsense as you had clearly stated your desire to seek revenge before leaving. You did not use our restaurant facilities and yet have stated how poor they were. We provide a taxi service to and from the West Highland Way (less than 1km - a 15 minute walk) at great expense for such a small business including buying a new vehicle this year and the appropriate business class of insurance. We cannot insure anyone under the age of 24. The member of staff you were trying to pressure into driving you would have been uninsured and even after this was explained to you, you insisted that he break the law. Were are not responsible for the baggage service so I don't know why you are reviewing us for it.

Our marketing material is very clear that we cannot guarantee the taxi service although it is available 95% of the time. We have even employed an extra member of staff to facilitate this.

This review is obviously an act of revenge and aims to damage our business but I suppose it's only peoples jobs at stake. I hope you are proud!

Dave Lang

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We arrived at the inversnaid Hotel after a long wet days walking to discover the bunkhouse was located up a steep hill, however we were soon offered a lift up to the bunkhouse by the staff which was a big relief for the feet!! also given some good help and advise re baggage transfers for the rest of the walk.
The quad room was exceptionally small and made getting showered changed and ready for the next day interesting !! however they were clean and functional
The service was excellent the staff very welcoming and friendly, the food was very good and reasonably priced.
We ordered pack lunches for the day after they were tasty and well worth the money as was the breakfast that set us up well for the days walking.
We were given a lift back down the hill to restart the walk
Not a palace but definitely an acceptable stop over on the WHY

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We called from their sign on the West Highland Way to see if they had a tent pitch available for the night. They did. So they drove down the big hill and picked us up from the Inversnaid Hotel. We were not the only guests, but we were the only tent. The low price gave us access to toilets, showers, and the drying room. We cooked our own dinner, but enjoyed the ales and desserts in the cafe. Cafe prices were fairly standard pub prices, £4 for dessert, £8.50+ for dinner main courses, etc. They had a number of other pay as you use facilities we didn't use. It's a beautiful building, a renovated church, and has an up-market hostel vibe to the place, if you like that sort of thing. It ain't luxury, but it is luxurious budget accommodation. I'd recommend it, just don't expect the hilton.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beekysky
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night on the WHW. I expected it to be the best accomodation on the way after having read all the comments on tripadvisor. Actually it was by far the worst.

Rooms are so tiny, that it is not possible for all inhabitants to stand on the floor at the same time. There isn't even enough space for bags and shoes. You feel like being a part of a puzzle or tetris game. Toilets and showers reminded me of summer camps in eastern Europe in the 80s: totally run down and smelly. Rooms are situated right below the common area and this area is used as a pup with live music. It is incredibly noisy at night, you don't hear only music and voices, but also every move of a chair or a table. Remember: This hostel is mainly used by walkers who are looking for a good night's sleep to be fit for the next day. Unfortunately it is also a place for locals to spend their evenings and nights with a few pints.
I have often read, that this bunkhouse offers great food. Don't believe it. It is take-away style food (Pasta with sauce, Rice with stuff) at restaurant prices. For a portion of Chili con Carne I paid the same price as two days later for a very fine meal at the four-star hotel in Bridge of Orchy. (around 10 Pounds) Worst was, I had to threw it up at night and I felt sick during the whole next day. And the stage after Inversnaid is by far the hardest on the whole WHW. Breakfast in the morning is a rip-off: You pay 4,50 for toast, cereals and marmelade. I stayed in some guest houses in England where you get a full cooked breakfast for the same price.

At least the staff is very friendly (except that guy who tried to cook) and the free pick-up service from Inversnaid Hotel is a fine thing after a strenous day. And there's slow but free internet.

If you walk the WHW, don't stay there, go to the hotel. I heard it isn't that expensive and when I had a drink there while waiting for the pick up the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank wobbobbl
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Just came back from a camping /canoeing trip with my son.i chose this bunkhouse for a bit of a treat for our last night of our trip and it was just that..a treat!

The bunkhouse a converted church is in an amazing setting.The rooms are small but clean and functional.The food is okay but what this place has is a very warm welcoming ambiance.cozey and homely with the added luxury of a hot tub! What a delight after days camping and canoeing in the rain.

One member of staff who really stood out was Aiden.Nothing was too much bother for him.very welcoming and very hospitable... A credit to the bunkhouse team

There can be quite a bit of noise in the bedrooms as the bistro/ main sitting area are upstairs but after 11pm this all stops.also earplugs are provided for those who need to turn in early

We were unable to get a lift down to the ferry landing but to be honest it is a lovely walk and not too bad on the way down/ might be a bit sore on the way up if you are back packing

All in all my fourteen year old loved it and so did I.

I will be back :0))

Room Tip: Use the hot tub!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Inversnaid Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!