“Minging with a nice view”
Review of The Ruby

The Ruby
Ranked #32 of 65 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We love our Chinese food But after the experience of the Ruby We are now going home to cook the cat Least he won't be processed In fact any animal would be an option than goin back to the dishwasher soup served their Nice staff tho :-/

1  Thank thetroof

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very good menu and all our dishes were excellent. Reasonable choice of wines and not too expensive. Staff very helpful and we were given a complimentary round of liquers with coffee.

2  Thank mjlw
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Ruby Chinese restaurant is probably known as the best of its kind not only in Helensburgh but in the surrounding areas too. And not without good reason!

The menu seems to hv remained the same over a number of years, but there are changes and evolutions if one cares to notice. Most people who go to the Ruby hv their favourite meal time and time again, so no need for menus. I love the array of salted peppered starters, which include squid (although not on the menu it is available on request and it is delicious), the aromatic crispy duck with pancakes and plum sauce is awesome as are all their mixed meat combinations, regardless of the sauce those are cooked with, although the Satay and Tam are particularly good. Soft noodles with bean sprouts and Spring onions are a favourite accompaniment to the main courses, although rice (steamed or fried) is also very good. A few noodle dishes on offer (very good and rather spicy Singapore Chow Mein) and several Continental dishes available for those who may not wish to eat "foreign" food. Bowls and chop-sticks available for those who wish to enjoy their food the Chinese way.The beverage side could be improved (i.e. the wine selection is pretty run of the mill stuff) and the Sun-Lik beer on tap is really brewed by San Miguel and almost identical in taste to the lager of that label. Much better off with a bottled Tiger or a Tsing-Tao, although some authentic Chinese or Far Eastern brew wouldn't go amiss. Service with a smile and willingness to please are a trade mark of this long known venue, which also provides take away and delivery service. Spectacular views over the Clyde estuary, with a few tables right at the front (pre-book a few days in advance if one of those is desired).

2  Thank LJT0y
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I used to eat there allot and loved it but the last 2x I got a delivery I found a bit of meat in my food. .....it wouldnt be a problem to someone who was a meat eater it would be seen as a bonus ordering a vegetarian meal and getting meat ....but for me on the other hand who is vegan because of food alergys, a severe allergy to animal products ie. Meat and egg's and have an intolerance to dairy, it was a big shock to find a bit of beef in my stir fried pak choi and beansprouts last night, I ate half of my meal before discovering the meat and have been really ill ever since my stomach feels like im being stabbed over and over and im on all my meds I have to take if I get contaminated which makes for a really traumatic few days .....the manager came to the house and agreed it was beef and gave me my money back but since thats twice it happened (last month I ordered vegetable noodles and found a bit of chicken!) I dont trust them anymore and wont be giving them a 3rd chance !!!! Very ill right now and will be contacting health and safety to have this problem stamped out for future customers as who knows what else is in there food for other people.....really upset as iv lost all confidence in eating out :( going to make my life even harder than it is now!!! Its against health and safety to use meat utensils in vegetable meals!!

1  Thank veganandproud
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was here for lunch last month. It was a beautiful day, and so we were happy to be seated beside the window, which had a beautiful view of the waterfront. We had the business lunch menu which was incredible value for money. The staff were friendly and we weren't kept waiting for service. The food was tasty and the portion sizes were very generous given the price.
I used to come here when I went to school in Helensburgh, so was happy to see The Ruby as popular as back then, and the food was as good as I remembered.

2  Thank MarkyMick