“not as good as it used to be”
Review of The Ruby

The Ruby
Ranked #41 of 64 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 10, 2013

came here midweek for lunch as hadnt been for a while, although the food was still good i dont think its as good as it used to be and the portions appear smaller. In saying that £6.50 for a 3 course lunch is still good value for money but think i prefer the mandarin now!

2  Thank lanzarote040

Reviewed February 8, 2013

For may years this place was the best. Fantastic views across the Clyde and romantic wee booths.

However we went in during January and found the place to be, well, okay I suppose.

The staff were great but the whole place lack lustre, tired old 1980's crockery and even more tired old food.

I must say I was very disappointed. If it wasn't for the staff this would have been a dead loss.

1  Thank BikerBuster
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We visited Helensburgh over Christmas and found the Ruby just by walking by. We had a lovely lunch that was very reasonable. The restaurant is upstairs but this gives lovely views over the Clyde, although the weather was a bit raining. We really enjoyed our meal and for the price its excellent value. Would I recommend yes. In fact i'm a little surprised by some of the other reviews that are 'over negative'. Our experience was completely different. If we are very back in this part of Scotland I will come back for another meal.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I recently had a lovely birthday dinner with my family at The Ruby. I found the service very attentive and the food was excellent value. I can certainly recommend this place and look forward to going again.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you about this place. The waiter in question has now left (I do agree he was not the best), but I have dined with friends and family at the Ruby for many years, and have never had any reason to complain about anything. Food has improved recently (it was already good, and now it's great, so tasty, always hot, served quickly), staff are courteous and friendly, atmosphere warm and cosy, and the views across the Clyde are wonderful at any time of year. Many people enjoy a window seat for that very reason. It is always busy (the only time it was quiet was when we booked early, but by the time we were eating our starters, it was buzzing. There have been many birthday celebrations (and other) and the staff are quick to accomodate such special occasions). I have never heard anyone bad-mouthing the place, in fact, they usually say they'd rather eat there than anywhere else in Helensburgh. I must recommend it to more people!!

1  Thank Jo P