“How much for a glass of house white????”
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
Ranked #8 of 63 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Commodore offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“How much for a glass of house white????”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

To be fair there is very little I can complain about with my visit.
The service was friendly and good, the food (Seasonal salad with sirloin) was lovely and the venue is very nice.
Food prices are what I would expect but over £4 for a small glass of wine shocked me.

Never mind I will be back again, but sticking to soft drinks next time.

Birmingham U.K
“Bring Your Times + Card”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Restaurant is attached to the adjacent Travelodge hotel.One of the priciest eateries in town but you do get a 25% discount with your Times + Card. Be warned though that they do not accept the card for breakfasts !? - which means EAT breakfasts elsewhere - the Weatherspoons up the road does a big breakfast for £4.50.
The choice and the standard of the lunches / dinners is very good. Drinks are expensive compared to other bars in town.Great views from the bar / beer garden. This pub has its own cinema with films 3 - 4 times a week.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Reasonable”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Recently spent an evening here for a meal
The surroundings were pleasant and the food was reasonable but the service was not too good.
The restaurant was by no means busy and although we had a friendly waitress, our meal took longer than expected to arrive and when it did it was only warm, not hot.

Helensburgh
“Slightly above average (3), but not very good (4)”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Been a number of times over the years, most recently beginning of April and end of May. Great evening with great food and great service in April, average today. Most disappointingly, we waited nearly half an hour for dessert - to be served cold, chewy, Churros (Spanish doughnuts) for my son and Apple Fritter - just as cold - for my daughter. The children ordered the same dessert as in April, because it was fab back then.

Also disappointed about the way my complaint was handled. The waitress said I should have complained sooner. Well, I would have done so if I had seen a waiter or waitress nearby.

On the plus, the duty manager apologised and deducted dessert from the bill.

Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Dried up food”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Mash and mackerel, this was my last meal and I mean my last meal at the Commodore. I have tried out of loyalty to what used to be a wonderful place with fantastic views, but I cannot say I want to risk yet another bad meal here. Tasteless and dried up mash, that looks more like rehashed beans, and the mackerel was a half fillet that looked as though it had been cooked several days before and reheated each day until I ordered it !

Visited January 2013