“Great food good selection” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Bull Hotel

The Black Bull Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gartmore
The Black Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gartmore
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Great food good selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Visited the restaurant twice and was very impressed on both occasions
Food was freshly cooked and appeared to be local produce
Welcome from the owners was highly refreshing as they were genuinely interested in their guests
On both visits the restaurant was busy and many appeared to be locals (a good sign)
Will certainly be back! May even use the rooms that are available

• Stayed October 2012
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Whalley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Although we didn't actusally stay at The Black Bull we ate there on two occassions when we were at the Activity Centre there.
The first thing we noticed was just how friendly everyone was including the locals, nothing seemed to be too much trouble the food well priced and superb especially the Black Pudding and the Steak and Ale pie, just melted in the mouth.
Staff had 'real' smiles on their facres and happily chatted with us - not sure what the negative review is about I think He must've been having a bad day!
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have visited Black Bull twice, both times with a writing group who use its facilities for writing retreats. In total, I've now stayed there four nights and I can't fault the place - comfortable modern bedroom with en suite, fantastic homemade food and staff who truly care.

The first time I was there, I was struck down with a tummy bug. The staff were so kind - they found me a hot water bottle, offered to make me anything from the kitchen that I thought my tummy could handle, offered me glasses of squash, etc.

The negative review below is such a shame. The owners (I think they're called Liz and Andy) are lovely, as are the Irish gals. The bloke below must have caught them on a bad day.

Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Some noise from the bar until about 11pm, but I don't mind this - adds to the atmosphere of bein...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Staff very unwelcoming, unfriendly, knew nothing about the local area they lived and worked in. Irish bar maid an embarrassment to the Irish she was so unfriendly. No local beers unlike the exceptional Brig o' Turk. More warmth from the dead bulls head on the wall. Drive on past.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CBelam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was staying in Gartmore as my friends and I had purchased a deal for two nights stay and an activity at a nearby farm. The owners of the farm we were staying at advised that the Black Bull lay on a free shuttle bus from the holiday park at the end of the lane. The six of us therefore took advantage of the free shuttle bus on the Saturday night. There was a takeaway menu in our rooms and having read it I did not have high hopes for the food or the pub. On arrival I found the pub to be well kept, clean and cosy, The Staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and made you feel completely welcome. I ordered the sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection and very tasty, one of our party has the lasagne and another opted for a special which was chicken with back pudding. Out of 6 people, all of us enjoyed our meal and would recommend the Black Bull if you are looking for reasonably priced good quality food.

Most of my party left on the Sunday but my friend and I returned and I could not resist another steak. We were treated like locals, the staff remembered us from the night before and made them join us as the bar for a drink after our meal. As stated above, I would not hesitate to recommend a meal here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

My partner and I ate here last night. We come up every year and stay at Trossach's holiday park, my nan recommended the food here and she wasn't wrong. I had the pea and bacon soup and partner had the scallops cooked to perfection for starters. For main I had the fish and chips and partner had medium to rare steak and both came out amazing. By far the best fish and chips I have ever eaten and the steak was cooked spot on better than most restaurants we have eaten in. We could not fault the warm welcome even with our dog. The staff asked us on several occasions if we wanted to eat in the restaurant but were more than happy to serve us in the bar area with the dog. We will definitely eat here again and will be recommending to all our family to eat here!

Can not fault the service presentation or quality of food. It was second to none.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I have just had a tasty meal and couldn't really fault it. Scallops with black pudding to start, Yum!
Cod gujons wig chips was delightful and I even had to finish my partners. No waste here!!

• Stayed September 2012
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gartmore
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
#1 of 6 in Callander
Poppies Hotel & Restaurant
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to The Black Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!