“Much better than it looks...”

Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
Harrogate
“Much better than it looks...”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here whilst working in West Glasgow, I chose it because of the pool.
It was a bit of a drive but the road was usually pretty quiet both in a morning & after work.
It looks more like a large pub than a hotel, but once inside the decor was far better than the exterior led me to believe it would be.
Room was a decent size & whilst it was nice its appearance was rather dated.
I emailed before booking to ask about breakfast times & was told breakfast started at 07:30. but when I mailed back to say that was a shame as I like to be in by 07:00 the receptionist said "that's fine, we are usually set up by 07:00 anyway."
Choice & quality was good, as was dinner with a choice of eating in the restaurant or bar.
Wi-fi was troublesome, & one night I was forced to sit in the lounge to get a signal - but the lovely log fire soon made up for that.
I was quite off colour the week I was there so unfortunately didn't get to use the pool at all...
The staff were simply amazing & nothing was too much trouble for them; I really got the feeling that they genuinely cared about my stay with them being as trouble free as possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BAH_management, Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest
thank you for your kind comments, and your compliments regarding your stay

Regards

Volker Steinemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Been to this hotel on a few occasions now. Got a cheap deal and went with family. The hotel is nice enough, a bit dated decor wise, but we had quite a spacious room this visit which was clean with the usual tea/coffee etc. The staff are all lovely and friendly especially Gail who stoked up the fire! Enjoyed the swimming pool. Breakfast is buffet style, plenty of choice, you can have this served in your room for a couple of pounds! We ate out in the evening so can,t comment on the restaurant. Only negative, drinks in hotel quite pricey compared to other places in village. However, a good wee night at the Buchanan!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We only stayed one night and failed to visit the spa, but my haddock breakfast was lovely and my meal the night before was nice. No real complaints aside from not having a mat in the bath, a bit dangerous. One should be available or bath slip proofed. Health & Safety might not like that. Also there was a plastic wrapper on the floor outside our room when we arrived and was there until we left. The staff were accommodating so no complaints there either. Didn't get to see much of the surrounding area due to the poor weather, but was comforted by the historic interior of the hotel. I loved the clearly ancient chairs, whiskey room, bar and various conservatories. Would definitely stay again if I was in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BermyChic77
Dear Guests

thanks for your comments, you felt the Buchanan feeling, such a short drive away from Glasgow but it takes you so far away, great we managed to help to recharg your batteries.
Hope to welcome you back soon

Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

my mum got me a voucher for christmas for champagne afternoon tea and access to the leisure facilities for the day. her and i arrived 21/01/13 which was a very snowy day, and because the roads were quite bad we arrived slightly later than we thought. we had booked our afternoon tea for 2pm but as we did not want to rush our use of the leisure facilities we asked at reception and the restaurant if we could delay our booking. the staff were extremely friendly and said that this was no problem.

the leisure facilities themselves were well taken care of, and clean for the most part. the pool was warm... amazing! i had braced myself for freezing water but it was a pleasure to swim in, and the steam room, while small, was cosy. i have to say that sitting in the jacuzzi while looking out the window at the falling snow was bliss. also, it seemed like quite a few local people use the facilities which says a lot about its good standards.

the afternoon tea was served to us by Lena (spelling?) who was polite and welcoming. the restaurant was not busy so it seemed like the wait for our drinks and food was a bit excessive, but being in the restaurant industry myself i reasoned that our food would be freshly made. sandwiches were nice (just not enough for me as i was really hungry after my swim!), and the cakes were well portioned and yummy.

all in all we had a very good relaxing day out, and i would definitely recommend the hotel to others, and would like to stay over in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruth C
West Dunbartonshire
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had stayed here in October for an overnight stay and it was great. The leisure facilities made it even moreso. When I saw the deal again from 5PM.co.uk Great Deals, I never hesitated as we thought it would be a nice post - Christmas treat. As 5pm were also giving a 15% discount, it made it all the sweeter. It included breakfast, prosecco and chocolates plus a £10 discount each off any treatments at The Haven Spa and 25% off the set dinner menu in the Salmon Leap restaurant. We stayed from 4-6 Jan 2013 and initially were allocated Room 6 on our arrival. Just along from the public toilets on the ground floor. As soon as we walked through the room door all we could smell was a choking stench of cigarettes. Amazing being as it has been nearly 7 years since the ban in Scotland!! We tried ringing reception to get someone to come along but the phone didn't work. Went back to reception instead and were immediately moved to room 47 upstairs. Very nice, beautiful newly decorated bathroom and all very bright and fresh. It was also on the opposite side of the hotel to the Osprey funcion suite which turned out to be a very good thing!!
After booking, we were called back to be asked if we would like to attend the function being held on Saturday 5 Jan. It was £15 per head, payable immediately, and included a 3 course set meal with entertainment. Turned out to be a very rubbish comedian (from Lochgelly) who was a better singer than a joke teller and had filled in at last minute from a comedienne who couldn't make it. The dj played good music and the floor was constantly filled. He also ran a few rather enjoyable competitions that resulted in every table being awarded a bottle of fizz (cheap but chearful)!!
Breakfasts at Buchanan Arms is fantastic as I had mentioned in a last review. Not my choice to have the full hot stuff at buffet as I am mostly veggie though eat fish not meat at all. Hots included bacon, sausages, tattie scones, tomato, scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, haggis etc!! I enjoyed the lovely cereals and fruit juices on offer and ordered the smoked haddock with poached eggs. Everything delicious except the tea could have been 3 times the strength for me. Thankfully I had already made myself one in the room earlier before coming down to brekkie so it made up for it. Kettle and mix of teas/coffee plus shortbread in room is brill though I think a couple of sachets of instant hot choccie would be a welcome addition in the cold of winter!
The set evening meals however were rather limited and not that great at all! I did discuss with duty manager who advised that at this time of year, there is no a la carte! Pity as on both evenings the food was a letdown. I was very disappointed as was my husband, in fact he only had 2 courses on 1st night.. It was also confusing as the watress then charged me £15 for 3 courses and £16.95 for 2 courses for David!! Bizarre! I suggested that she just add an extra course to his bill to get the discount! It was cheaper for 3 than 2!! The manager said after that they should really work out a way to correct this anomally! Think the menu itself needed work too as it appeared to be using all the leftovers from Christmas and New Year. Not the best to be sure.

We used the leisure facilities again this time but unfortunately Haven Spa was so fully booked we were unable to take advantage of the voucher. I had also pre-purchased another deal from 5pm for me and David, my husband to enjoy a speciality moroccan massage each lasting 60 mins each. They couldn't accommodate this either. Thankfully on returning home, I was able to secure a refund from 5pm. Took advantage of the wonderful gym, pool, steam room and jacuzzi!! The biz!!! Wonderful start to 2013. Xx

Room Tip: Ours (47)was an ideal location as there was no noise disturbance from the revellers!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Halls007
Dear Guest

thanks for your kind comments, hope we can welcome you back soon.

regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

we stayed in may 2012 as part of our break after our wedding. We checked in with no problems and were directed to a room on 1st floor. We got into the room and we were very impressed with both the size and decor (we had mentioned on the booking it was our minimoon) and so we assume we were upgraded. very spacious bathroom and enourmous bed! They were having water issues when we got there, and although mildly annoying didnt cause any issues. leisure club great and spa was beautiful (we treated ourselves to a massage) and michelle in the spa was great. Great location if you want to explore loch lomond and we found a fab pub for dinner about a mile away. overall good value for money and a pleasant experience. We would return :-)

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MeganB_111
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guests

thank you again for staying here at the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel and Spa. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you or your friends and family shortly at the hotel.
Look out for our special offers on our web site

Kindest regards

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the second time that we have stayed at this hotel and it lived up to our expectations.

The staff are very welcoming, accommodating and pleasant.

Food is of a high standard and the accommodation is very good and we found both times that the cleanliness was excellent.

It really was a lovely Xmas holiday and we will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elliot family

thank you again for pening Christmas here with us at the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel.
We had such a great time with our guests and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kindest regards

Volker Steinemann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Winnock Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!