“spa and afternoon tea”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“spa and afternoon tea”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

my mum got me a voucher for christmas for champagne afternoon tea and access to the leisure facilities for the day. her and i arrived 21/01/13 which was a very snowy day, and because the roads were quite bad we arrived slightly later than we thought. we had booked our afternoon tea for 2pm but as we did not want to rush our use of the leisure facilities we asked at reception and the restaurant if we could delay our booking. the staff were extremely friendly and said that this was no problem.

the leisure facilities themselves were well taken care of, and clean for the most part. the pool was warm... amazing! i had braced myself for freezing water but it was a pleasure to swim in, and the steam room, while small, was cosy. i have to say that sitting in the jacuzzi while looking out the window at the falling snow was bliss. also, it seemed like quite a few local people use the facilities which says a lot about its good standards.

the afternoon tea was served to us by Lena (spelling?) who was polite and welcoming. the restaurant was not busy so it seemed like the wait for our drinks and food was a bit excessive, but being in the restaurant industry myself i reasoned that our food would be freshly made. sandwiches were nice (just not enough for me as i was really hungry after my swim!), and the cakes were well portioned and yummy.

all in all we had a very good relaxing day out, and i would definitely recommend the hotel to others, and would like to stay over in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruth C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
West Dunbartonshire
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had stayed here in October for an overnight stay and it was great. The leisure facilities made it even moreso. When I saw the deal again from 5PM.co.uk Great Deals, I never hesitated as we thought it would be a nice post - Christmas treat. As 5pm were also giving a 15% discount, it made it all the sweeter. It included breakfast, prosecco and chocolates plus a £10 discount each off any treatments at The Haven Spa and 25% off the set dinner menu in the Salmon Leap restaurant. We stayed from 4-6 Jan 2013 and initially were allocated Room 6 on our arrival. Just along from the public toilets on the ground floor. As soon as we walked through the room door all we could smell was a choking stench of cigarettes. Amazing being as it has been nearly 7 years since the ban in Scotland!! We tried ringing reception to get someone to come along but the phone didn't work. Went back to reception instead and were immediately moved to room 47 upstairs. Very nice, beautiful newly decorated bathroom and all very bright and fresh. It was also on the opposite side of the hotel to the Osprey funcion suite which turned out to be a very good thing!!
After booking, we were called back to be asked if we would like to attend the function being held on Saturday 5 Jan. It was £15 per head, payable immediately, and included a 3 course set meal with entertainment. Turned out to be a very rubbish comedian (from Lochgelly) who was a better singer than a joke teller and had filled in at last minute from a comedienne who couldn't make it. The dj played good music and the floor was constantly filled. He also ran a few rather enjoyable competitions that resulted in every table being awarded a bottle of fizz (cheap but chearful)!!
Breakfasts at Buchanan Arms is fantastic as I had mentioned in a last review. Not my choice to have the full hot stuff at buffet as I am mostly veggie though eat fish not meat at all. Hots included bacon, sausages, tattie scones, tomato, scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, haggis etc!! I enjoyed the lovely cereals and fruit juices on offer and ordered the smoked haddock with poached eggs. Everything delicious except the tea could have been 3 times the strength for me. Thankfully I had already made myself one in the room earlier before coming down to brekkie so it made up for it. Kettle and mix of teas/coffee plus shortbread in room is brill though I think a couple of sachets of instant hot choccie would be a welcome addition in the cold of winter!
The set evening meals however were rather limited and not that great at all! I did discuss with duty manager who advised that at this time of year, there is no a la carte! Pity as on both evenings the food was a letdown. I was very disappointed as was my husband, in fact he only had 2 courses on 1st night.. It was also confusing as the watress then charged me £15 for 3 courses and £16.95 for 2 courses for David!! Bizarre! I suggested that she just add an extra course to his bill to get the discount! It was cheaper for 3 than 2!! The manager said after that they should really work out a way to correct this anomally! Think the menu itself needed work too as it appeared to be using all the leftovers from Christmas and New Year. Not the best to be sure.

We used the leisure facilities again this time but unfortunately Haven Spa was so fully booked we were unable to take advantage of the voucher. I had also pre-purchased another deal from 5pm for me and David, my husband to enjoy a speciality moroccan massage each lasting 60 mins each. They couldn't accommodate this either. Thankfully on returning home, I was able to secure a refund from 5pm. Took advantage of the wonderful gym, pool, steam room and jacuzzi!! The biz!!! Wonderful start to 2013. Xx

Room Tip: Ours (47)was an ideal location as there was no noise disturbance from the revellers!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Halls007
BAH_management, Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest

thanks for your kind comments, hope we can welcome you back soon.

regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

we stayed in may 2012 as part of our break after our wedding. We checked in with no problems and were directed to a room on 1st floor. We got into the room and we were very impressed with both the size and decor (we had mentioned on the booking it was our minimoon) and so we assume we were upgraded. very spacious bathroom and enourmous bed! They were having water issues when we got there, and although mildly annoying didnt cause any issues. leisure club great and spa was beautiful (we treated ourselves to a massage) and michelle in the spa was great. Great location if you want to explore loch lomond and we found a fab pub for dinner about a mile away. overall good value for money and a pleasant experience. We would return :-)

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MeganB_111
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guests

thank you again for staying here at the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel and Spa. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you or your friends and family shortly at the hotel.
Look out for our special offers on our web site

Kindest regards

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the second time that we have stayed at this hotel and it lived up to our expectations.

The staff are very welcoming, accommodating and pleasant.

Food is of a high standard and the accommodation is very good and we found both times that the cleanliness was excellent.

It really was a lovely Xmas holiday and we will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elliot family

thank you again for pening Christmas here with us at the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel.
We had such a great time with our guests and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kindest regards

glasgow
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband, myself and 3 year old son spend one night here in January. I cannot express how friendly every member of staff was to our son. They really made him feel special. The room was large, spotless and more importantly the bed was huge and very comfortable(great mattress topper)
We only had lunch in the hotel, however the sandwiches we had were delicious. The breakfast is buffet style and cooked perfectly(especially the spicy haggis)
The lounge/bar was very comfortable, large couches beside open fires where we relaxed and read our papers whist sipping wine.
The swimming pool was clean and warm enough for a toddler. My husband enjoyed the steam/sauna rooms.
The only negative was the price of wine 250ml glass £6.00.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank annabanana1976
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After booking via an online deal, I was a little apprehensive after reading the negative reviews on here, especially as we would be staying at the reduced rate. However for the price we paid we had a great stay. The room we stayed in was a little dated and not like the rooms shown online, however it was warm, cosy and spotless. The staff were all friendly and helpful however my only major gripe was that the housekeeping staff were very loud in the corridor in the morning and prevented us from having a sleep in! I do think this was mainly due to poor sound proofing though. All in all a comfortable stay although not sure I would have felt the same if we had paid full rates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SnickerDooda
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

....and bewildered at the fact that a hotel can be so bad. Sound proofing needs a complete revamp as does the quality of service and food (dinner sent back) It was clear to see and taste that breakfast along with associated condiments are from a budget supplier, another culinary disappointment! It has been around 10 years since I have complained about an establishment so take note folks, you have been warned!!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Craigy_bear
BAH_management, Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Criag

i am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here at the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel, it seems that during your stay some other guests created quite some noise. As a management team we check all corridors during day and night time to ensure our guests can enjoy a peaceful stay and sleep. Unfortunatelly we must have failed to spot the noisy neighbours of yours.
I was surprized to read that you did not enjoy your meals during your stay and i can assure you we do not purchase budget products as you sugguested.

Regards

Volker Steinemann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Winnock Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!