“Horrific”
Review of Drymen Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Drymen
Drymen Camping
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Horrific”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

While doing the West Highland Way I stopped here for the night, you have little choice as the next campsite is 10-15 miles on. The woman mentioned in the other reviews was to be honest unbelievable in her attitude, hostile, condescending and quite simply rude. The campsite is much further from Drymen than advertised and the facilities are filthy, I would have rather wild camped as then at least you are prepared for "basic". Yes it is cheap but I have to ask myself "what am I paying for?"
The website held promise of cooked breakfasts, pack lunches and even a 3 course dinner but the evidence of this was nonexistent and the idea of approaching the dragon woman in the main house was just too frightening a prospect.
Yes you get what you pay for but my advice would be to keep walking and look at the B&B options in the village.

Room Tip: Dont bother!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Stryder20011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

we stopped here on our first night of the west highland way. its location is convenient as it is on the west highland way route, however be prepared for walking a further 1-2miles for dinner and local shops. it took us awhile to confirm we had a booking here as the owners were hard to contact and the website was down, but it was cheap and we can't complain too much. the owner was friendly when he greeted us, but was not too pleased when we asked for help regarding the facilities which we had trouble using.

the wigwams (and the free-roaming chickens) were a novelty and weren't as uncomfortable as they looked with thin mattresses provided. however, only one wigwam had a light whilst the other wigwam our friends had was left in total darkness.

the toilet facilites were basic but sufficient for our needs. there was a lack of toilet paper though.

overall, i would recommend it, but, keep in mind you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I have read the other reviews. I have to say I have stayed on the site a few times . Ok it is not the best But people above taske notice. it is after all only a pitch for camping with minimun charges. If this place did not exist , people doing the west highland way where would we find our next camp site? about another 9-12 miles???? or wild camp???? I think It does need upgrading Bur I am happy enough to find a place that is only 1 mile away from Drymen!!

Jim

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank C_R_A_S_H77
Wolverhampton
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed here while doing the WHW in September 2010. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact the site by phone and email we decided to try it anyway. Pouring with rain on arrrival and we were very pleased to get a friendly reception and be able upgrade from camping to places in a wigwam for £7 each. No heating or lighting in the wigwam and mattress a bit thin but infinitely preferable to setting up the tent in a downpour.

There is very useful undercover area in a barn complete with toilets and showers, all reasonably clean but the total seating area provided comprised two patio tables and four plastic chairs, all grubby and one chair broken.

The signed site office remained steadfastly closed in the morning and we noticed someone had left their site fee in the form of a £5 note stuffed in the lock. Eventually, we realised that the site manager was actually in the main farmhouse and were able to pay up. At this point we found there was a problem with the baggage pick-up but the site manager went out of his way to sort this out for us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My friend and I stayed here on the first night of our west highland way trip. On arriving the camp office was closed and a sign said to just pitch your tent and return later. We went in search of our rucksacks that had been delivered by the bag carrying company. There was a shed for the travel lite bags but we used AMS and couldn't find ours. We decided to ring the bell of the farmhouse and were greeted by the most unfriendly and unhelpful woman. We eventually found our rucksacks in a stable full of horses after asking someone in the stable for help. The facilities were basic and not the cleanest. The next morning we could have left easily without paying but instead we braved the farmhouse once more and the scary woman who took the money and shut the door. Its quite a walk into Drymen to the shop/restaurants - longer than the 20mins advertised by the campsite.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank jostrachan18

Travelers are raving about these Drymen hotels

Scotland
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I think you could travel many a mile before coming across a site owned by such a thoroughly unpleasant woman as the one who owns this site.
On arrival I followed the sign to the campsite office and found another sign directing me to the farmhouse.
When I rang the doorbell and after a wait of several minutes a woman arrived with a face displaying what I can only describe as disgust at having to communicate with a camper. She made no comment so I asked if I could have a pitch for the night. "Dunno" came the irritated reply "site and office is up there" she said huffily. I said I'd been up there but the sign directed me here. "Oh just go and pitch and someone will come and see you" came the now very cross woman who then disappeared back inside berating some unfortunate therein for leaving the sign in the office.
The facilities are basic which was fine but were filthy which was not fine. Toilet roll was in limited supply so I was glad I’d brought my own.
The only good thing was the system for payment was so shambolic I was able to pack and leave in the morning and paid what I believe the woman and her site was worth £0

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank clodhopper2008
Dumfries and Galloway
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I visited this campsite with friends on the first night of our West Highland Way trek. We were glad to see the site after a walk in the blistering heat but soon realised that it was going to be a long night.

We were directed from the site office to the farmhouse where we were 'greeted' by an unwelcoming woman who appeared to find our presence a nuisance. She was happy to take our money but don't expect any courtesy in return.

On first sight it was clear to see that the area where we could pitch our tent was far from ideal. The ground is uneven and hard with tree roots protruding from the ground at regular intervals.

The site was small and got very busy so it was quite noisy. You expect this at most campsites though.

The facilities were a few portaloos and a portacabin with showers inside a barn. They were dirty and there was no hot water.

Unfortunately the options for camping in the Drymen area are minimal so the owners have you by the short and curlies. Next time I'll camp wild and save myself the money and probably have better facilities and a better sleep!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DGholidayfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 3 in Balmaha
The Hawthorns
The Hawthorns
#3 of 24 in Drymen

Been to Drymen Camping? Share your experiences!