“Murder Mystery good, hotel not so”
Review of Winnock Hotel

Winnock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
Darlington
“Murder Mystery good, hotel not so”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a group on a murder mystery weekend package.

The murder mystery was great fun and the actors were good, I would recommend this part of the stay.

The hotel itself was dated and the room facilities were poor. One of my party had to move rooms 3 times as there was no water in the rooms.

My room was ok but I was disappointed with the toiletries in the bathroom. A dispenser on the wall that you had to guess what was inside because there was no label. Who knows what it actually was because it smelt terrible like hair remover.The soap at the basin was in a dispenser that had seen better days. Disappointing for a hotel that is rated 3 stars.

Another room in the party didn't have any soap in the bathroom.

The food on the evening was really good but the breakfast was disappointing. There was a reasonable selection but the quality was poor.

The bar was good, there was a local act singing who were great and the atmosphere was really good. The let down was that the bar closed at 1am even to hotel residents.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend and I wouldn't stay here again.

I would recommend the bar and the murder mystery.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LLA07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
WALSALL
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Room on 1st floor steps everywhere. Service in diningroom very slow although food when arrived warm. Beware entrance can be hazardous.Reception very good but needs to be because such as heating,plumbing or electrical suggests maimtenance needs inprovement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank coachjunky
New Cumnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Myself and friends stayed here for 2 nights, We thought it was going to be wonderful any time we phoned before hand our every request could be met the reality couldn't be further from the truth so if you make any arrangements by telephone get them to confirm it in writing to you. On several occasions we had to wait far too long too be served at the bar no one seemed to be on duty in the bar.

We had made a previous booking for the murder mystery and due to 2 of our party being very ill we had to re schedule there was a bit of a mix up as one of our nights wasn't booked through the hotel, when we re-booked we were told the murder mystery night had changed but since we had already booked and had to re-schedule we would be put down for the murder mystery of the evening we were going to stay. We then found out by accident if we wanted to attend we would have to pay. We decided to have dinner and just relax at the hotel after dinner the waitress was adamant we had to pay for dinner we had to go with her to reception where an apology was only granted after prompting by the duty manager.

The list of fault's is endless some petty and some not so petty on trying to complain to the third party we had booked our room under the manager told them we were just angry because we didn't get to the murder mystery, I suppose its easier for him to think that than think than deal with the list of complaint's that were in front of him.

Food could be either be lovely or awful there was no middle ground one night the dinner was wonderful the next we couldn't eat it, one of my party did tell the waitress the chicken was awful and her response was "och well nae worries".

The staff were very nice and most of the helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jane1712
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I are repeat customers to this unique but traditionally Scottish hotel. We are always drawn back because of the friendly relaxed atmosphere and the roaring log fires which always give me a happy, cosy feeling.

On our last visit we were over the moon to be upgraded to one of the family rooms because we had been repeat customers. The room was full of extra touches of luxury , not to mention the tv you could watch whilst in the bath.

I wish I'd caught the name of the lady on the front desk who upgraded us so I could thank her personally on here. If your reading this you know who you are.

• Stayed March 2013
Perth
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Dinner was very good, and the staff pleasant. On arrival, the room itself was fine, except that I was amazed to find a half-full glass of lager sitting on the table! I would have expected an upgrade room to have wifi facility and more then 2 coathangers. The bathroom toiletries were in unlabelled bulk plastic squeezy bottles screwed to the wall, more reminiscent of a £19 per night Travelodge stay! The receptionist assured me on checking out that the liquid was suitable for use as soap, shower gel and shampoo.
Disappointing that the debris from the murder mystery night - empty glasses, bottles and lots of feathers ( from a boa?) - was still strewn around the function room at 11am the following morning. Although we had not been at the murder mystery night we had to walk through that room to reach reception and the dining room, or go round the outside of the hotel in pouring rain, so not pleasant. To be fair, the upgrade cost was deducted from the bill, but still not sure I would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here 1 night for my Daughters 40th Birthday. The room was well equiped we had a 4 poster bed which was very comfortable. The food was really very good.The staff very helpful.
Would go back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had an overnight stay at the Winnock Hotel, Drymen. Very pleasant. Our room was very comfortable, clean and well kitted out. Clean white bedding and plenty of clean white towels. Comfortable bed, lovely warm room.
Met with an extremely helpful, cheery and well mannered receptionist.
Dinner delicious, chicken liver pâté, salmon en croute, cheese selection, coffee and lovely wine.
Very amusing talented actors entertaining us for our murder mystery, delicious breakfast after a lovely evening in the bar where we were entertained with music.
This was my first stay in this lovely village it won't be my last. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Fantastic staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, the village road can be quite busy but the views are stunn...