Portnellan was a great find after scrabbling around trying to find a late booking for the end of July.
Portnellan and it's lodges and the location did not disappoint.
'Raven' lodge was great - with fantastic views - something that you do not get bored of looking at.
It's spacious, well equipped (better than any other type of lodge we've stayed previously in other location).
Cameron and Elaine welcomed us warmly on our arrival.
It's a great place if you love the outdoors, with walking, fishing, canoeing, rowing, swimming (if you want in the river or loch), and mountain biking, and that's the facilities that are on offer there.
The weather was pretty good throughout, even Scotland is taking part in the Great British Summer of 2013.
As always, common sense prevails, so take other clothing to be prepared, as the weather closes in quickly. Enjoy the views, fresh air, and the fresh water from Ben More.
For those that haven't been to this part of the world before - beware of the midges - they are lethal,,,,, a little secret that we learnt is to use 'Avon - Skin So Soft' .... You must be mad I hear you say...... not so,,,, told to us by our Military Services family members. It's legendary !!!!
Portnellan is also a great place to base yourself if you're going off to visit other areas.
Make use of the free delivery service for groceries on your arrival (that's the delivery that's free - not the groceries).
My one and only small criticism - is the wifi in the lodge, was a bit hit and miss.
Not a major issue, as we wanted to be away from it all - but you always want your little fix every now and then.....
The bed also was a little hard for our liking, but we're not as active as some folk, so maybe we're just a bit more delicate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Portnellan. Where memories are made. This years finalist for the Visitscotland's Thistle Award in the category "Best Self Catering in Scotland" for our region. Portnellan has a 'Certificate of Excellence' from Tripadvisor for the fifth year running with over 190 reviews from guests. A tasteful collection of 4 and 5 star self catering holiday properties owned and run by the Taylor family for over 35 years. Located just outside the picturesque village of Crianlarich within the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. A great central location for touring and visiting many of Scotland's attractions and adventure. All properties are positioned thoughtfully on a small private estate with sensational views of loch, glen and mountains. There are many activities onsite to enjoy including free use of rowing boats, Canadian canoes, kayaks and estate loch and river fishing. In addition there is an on site visitors centre with a small essentials shop, fresh organic meat (perfect for BBQing or home cooking), local information, board games and DVDs. Mountain bikes, clay pigeon shooting, WiFi, SKY TV package and BBQ hire are also available. All properties are tastefully appointed to 4 and 5 star standard varying in size from 1 to 5 bedroom with stunning views across the loch, mountain and glen. Other features include Egyptian Cotton bed linen and king size beds with pocket sprung mattresses. Some properties even have sauna and spa bath. There are even fresh eggs available from our hand reared chickens (when laying). This beautiful accommodation is available for short breaks, weeks or longer all year round. A family business for over 30 years proud of their Highland hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Portnellan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portnellan Hotel Crianlarich
- Portnellan Crianlarich, Scotland