“Dreadful room and food”

and 1 more site!
Ben More Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Crianlarich
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I booked this Hotel as it accepted dogs and was on the route to Skye. The reviews on Tripadvisor were mostly good. Well it was far from good it was dire, the girl who checked us in yawned in our faces , the room was horrible a chalet style but so dated everything was old and faded. The basket for tea and coffee was full of used sachets and milk containers, the sofa along the wall was covered in a very nasty stained thing. The ancient tv did not work and despite the guys from the kitchen switching tv and sky boxed never did work. We ate in the restaurant which had as much atmosphere as a bus shelter they had a curry menu which was described as authentic, my choice just tasted of tinned tomato soup. The final straw was the shower in the morinig which was stone cold!!! The owners did have the decency to give us a some cash back. I understand they have just taken over they weem to have a lot to learn.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 25, 2010

I had booked a room in the Ben Moore Lodge before reading the reviews. So after reading all the critics here (mainly praising or slashing the place), I was totally insecure: Would it be great staying there or a total nightmare? I really had thought about cancelling. Glad I didn’t.

It is a nice, friendly place and the rooms are good. Just what one would expect from a Highland Lodge (no, it’s not a hotel, more motel style). We walked the West Highland Way (actually our fourth time) and it is about five to ten minutes (by foot) away from the Crianlarich train station at the eastern end of town. When we arrived I asked to see the room before paying (because of the comments here). That was no problem, they showed us the room and it was fine, not very spacious but appropriate for two. One queen-size bed, a small settee / sofa, desk with TV (Sky-box), a tea tray, a chair and a wardrobe. The bathroom had a shower. In front of the room we even had our own little patio with a bench and a flower box.

In the evening we went to the bar / restaurant and had a good time. We tried a starter, two different curries (very tasty, good sized serving), popedums, dips... and some beer. Also there was live music – nice bloke, entertaining and not too loud. Breakfast the next morning was okay.

Fruit juice, cereals, marmalade and a menu with choice of full English breakfast. Out toast was a bit burned and they do not serve mushrooms anymore (even though they are on the menu). Also the rooms could be a bit cleaner. But this is our only criticism. Besides that everybody was very nice and helpful. It’s good value-for-money if you look for a place to sleep / rest. If you are planning to spend a romantic weekend, better choose a different place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neunmal
Reviewed May 2, 2010

the last review I posted on this place I couldn't really comment on the accomodation as I hadn't stayed here , this time however I decided to stay , why go anywhere else , and I can say the lodges are brilliant ,
clean , comfortable , good shower , good bed , what else do you want ..............................

Don't leave the heater on in the room as the insulation will mean you cook at night ..:-)

the staff ( still got the photo's) and owners as always provided the very best of hospitality
nothing to much bother , made welcome whoever you may be

some other (negative) posts seem to refer to some or possibly an other place as I certainly can't figure where they came from ( decide for yourself)

standards , cleanliness , food , amd hospitality make this the only place in the village

If you do decide to stay and anything isn't right TELL the folks , they will put it right

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stopped at the Ben More recently during a walk up the West Highland Way. We found the staff to be very friendly, helpful and efficient. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced as was the accommodation. Food served with a smile. I’ve read on here complaints that payment for accommodation was requested on arrival at the Ben More, well this arrangement is not uncommon up the West Highland Way and some establishments even charge non-refundable fees well in advance of arrival. The accommodation was as described on the website so there were no surprises there. We arrived from a wind and snow swept hillside to find the room nice and toasty so the heaters in the rooms had been switched on before we arrived. That wee detail was appreciated by some in our group but it didn’t really matter to us personally as we were prepared to take refuge in the pleasant surroundings of the comfortable and well stocked bar engaging in some banter with the friendly bar staff before we showered and changed, very sociable establishment. The resident entertainer managed to keep his patience and his sense of humour despite the attempts by some of our party, tired and emotional after a long day’s walking, to join in the singing, nice one !!!!!
Overall value for money ? Absolutely.
I suppose the real test is in answering the questions of whether we would be prepared to recommend the Ben More to friends and whether we would be prepared to book in there again, the answer to both questions is a resounding YES.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I am a complete fan of this place, the owners actually talk to you and take an interest in what you are saying, the food is excellent the curry has been nominated for best curry awards, the accomadation is a pine lodge not 5 star but warm, very comfortable for sleeping in the middle of Scotland.

I have read the other reviews and find it hard to believe some of the comments, these are not off normal people.

One thing I would say to fellow travellers if you are looking for a hotel to read the financial times, slip into the swimming pool and have a porter take you to the room this is definately not what you want, try the tarbet hotel at £120 per night. what you get here is the broons to read, a dip in the local river and a stray deer in the car park - totally Scottish we love it.

As soon as you walk in you step on Scottish carpet, all the food is Scottish and the music is totally Scottish, I have to stop my partner from getting up to dance, look around you see other guests tapping there feet. This is Scotland long may it continue

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2010

One of the best nights of our trek by far, excellent service, beautiful food and awesome atmosphere. Bryan and crew made us feel very welcome right from the start. Much drink was had and top shennanigans!

Want to go back!!!

Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I find myself observing a lot on this site that you get out what you put in. If you travel about expecting every hotel to be the Ritz, you're only setting yourself up for diappointment.

The Ben More is a perfect example of a place where that attitude will kill a potentially wonderful experience. It's in the Highlands of Scotland - you won't get, and shouldn't want, some kind of city-break experience.

What we got, and loved, was a personable character-loaded stay with a lot of fond memories. It's difficult to overstate how friendly everyone was. And when the weather closed in they did everything they could to make our stay more comfortable.

First up, the food is great, and with a bif roaring log fire the Highland winter night stayed just the right distance away. The bar staff were chatty and pleasant - sometimes things got busy and we had to wait for a drink, but it was no big deal. There was never any feeling we were being ignored.

The lodges are small but cozy - and very VERY warm. Great beds and perfect darkness gave us a couple of great sleeps, which is one of the main reasons you escape the rat-race in the first place.

I'll admit the Ben More isn't for everybody. But if you like the idea of a welcoming bar, good food, and the chance of conversation with fellow guests and even some locals - along with a folk duet chancing by and playing a show for us just because they felt like it (VERY entertaining, Broadsword!)... this place could give you one of those wonderful unexpected once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan

Been to Ben More Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!