“West Highland Way”

Crianlarich Youth Hostel
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here after a gruelling walk from Rowardennan to Crainlarich. Stayed in one of the private rooms, which was good, but the beds seem to squeek any time you move. The gents toilet was away round a corner from our room which seemed a bit strange. My first experience in a Youth Hostel and thus cannot comment on how it differs from others. Staff were friendly enough which makes up for any negatives.

Room Tip: Definitely get a private room, rather than a dorm if you have just walked a large stretch of the Wes...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at this hostel two times in the same week but had I known I would not have spent a second night there. I was at the end of a 7-day road trip so I wanted a little comfort and decided to upgrade to a private room, and that was the worst-spent £48 of my trip! I was assigned a room with facilities for disabled people, which is a good thing that they have one, but I am not disabled and it just makes me feel uncomfortable to shower in a room that reminds me of a hospital (even the smell reminded me of a hospital!). There were 3 beds in the room but my bed creaked very loudly each time I moved, I just felt uneasy the whole night and did not get the good rest I was hoping for. Everything looks like it was last decorated in the 80s or 90s and showing some wear and tear. The only plus side is that the room was well-heated. The staff of the hostel is very friendly but it is like they are trying to make up for the fact that their hostel is in need of a good refurbishment. Those private rooms are way over-priced. I think the people at the hostel know that they are well situated in a strategic place in the way to the Highlands, so they probably don't care much for returning customers because they know they will always get some new ones, people needing a place to stop before heading further north. Anyway, very disappointed with my stay, I don't recommend the private rooms, though the dorms are somewhat okay (see my other review for dorms).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Claire S
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you want to explore the fantastic hills around Crianlarich, this is a fantastic location - you can literally walk from the front door on to some wonderful Munros. The hostel is clean, the dorms are fairly spacious, the bunk-beds are adequate but not particularly comfortable (take an extra pillow if you can!), the communal ablutions are absolutely fine and the self-catering kitchen is fully fit for purpose, but not that well equipped - inadequate fridge space, only one microwave, and only 2, fairly basic ordinary ovens (plenty of hob-space though). Mobile phone coverage is, at best dodgy and, given that, £3 an hour for wireless internet access is outrageous! I've done the Crianlarich hills now, so I doubt that I'll return soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rick S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here in February 2013, and found it clean and spacious. We had a big private room with a single bunk over a double bed, for little more than a standard dorm bunk per person. The room was clean, had a sink, lots of hangers on rails for hanging clothes, a nice window, and the bed was comfortable.

The kitchen is a good size and has plenty of hobs and equipment and a big fridge.

The dining room is really big, loads of space for eating and relaxing.

The lounge is a nice size with a collection of books and games and some lovely pictures and maps. Leather sofas are welcome after a day out!

The location is brilliant, being really close to the Bridge of Orchy hills, and the Trossachs, and not too far from Glen Coe and Ben Nevis.

The only downside was the warden, who was a bit tricky to get hold of (I waited about 30 minutes or more at reception, when it was supposed to be open and manned, but she did appear eventually so it wasn't a problem in the end).

Room Tip: The private 'family' room with a single bunk above a double bed was enormous, and was only a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HBunyan
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Had a very enjoyable stay at the hostel. Staff were very pleasent and accommodating throughout our stay. They drying room also came in very handy. Only niggle, it would be nice if you didn't get kicked out at 10:30 if your staying more than one night. SYHA could also do with looking at their pricing structure for the Internet, £3 for an hour is outrageous.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt C
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we arrived I felt like we were being an annoyance. The guy at reception did not offer to tell us anything about services or breakfast etc, we had to ask for all the info. Our room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was clean. Our door did not lock and someone did come in (accidently). The kitchen is self serve and when I asked for dinner, I was told the microwave was broken and I couldnt have anything except crisps and chocolate.... When I went back to reception later to ask a question, rather than tell me the answer, he just said I'm on my break come back in 5 minutes! The breakfast was a buffet type, but the area is so small, everyone was pushing you out of the way to get to it.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Crianlarich is in a beautiful setting and is a very charming village. The bed was comfortable and the room a decent size, although the bathroom is very small. One slight annoyance is no phone connection to reception from the room - and the phone in the hallway wasn't connected, meaning I had to wonder off and find a staff member (reception wasn't manned) and it took me about 10 minutes to get hold of an iron. Breakfast though was very good - self service buffet with great full Scottish breakfast options.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#2 of 9 in Callander
Glenbruar House
Glenbruar House
#9 of 10 in Crianlarich

Been to Crianlarich Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!