“Perfect, just Perfect”
Review of Monachyle Mhor

Monachyle Mhor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
Reviewed September 29, 2013

As part of my 50th Birthday ( Last December !) My darling wife bought me / us a sea plane trip from Cameron House to Monachyle Mhor. ( calendar dates and work stoped us from doing this earlier) Now, i`m a bloke and the lunch bit to me was secondary, albeit looking awesome on the web, it kind of took second place to my flight. Im not going to droll on about the flight, im doing a review on that as well, but, our experience at the Monachyle Mhor made a perfect day just perfect! We arrived to a beautiful glass of chilled champagne, served by a very well presented barman, who was genuinely polite. As we were on a timetable, we selected a beautiful table in a wee alcove, and took our champers outside to take in the breathtaking scenery surrounding us.I ordered a nice bottle of Malbec (wife offered to drive) and we selected our courses from a very simple but appetizing menu. I chose the Fresh clam and langostine starter, with a Pollock main, Carol had the Cauliflower ad truffle soup with the Tamworth Pork as a main.......wow. Faultless. Coincidentally, my sister in law was staying with her husband for the weekend, so we took the remainder of the vino outside and opted for our third course of the Cheeseboard to be served outside; absolutely lovely. I went for a wander around en route to the bathroom, and took in the splendid interiors of the hotel bar, reception, courtyard and an awesome wine rack built into the wall, I think under stairs?. we could not fault our visit and certainly plan to return for a stay as I did spot one or two rather nice looking single malts just crying to be sampled!! Thanks guys for making our day complete!!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was my third visit to MM. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and our meal; given the season I was worried that there would be too much game on the menu (most of which I dislike) but as it turned, there was a good selection of dishes. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. It's a pity the bar is soooo small; there were no seats left when we arrived and sitting in the other lounge felt a bit far from the hub of things. Our room (14) was a feature room with steam shower. We loved it! There was an elegant mix of modern and vintage accessories, and a very spacious bathroom. One thing that could be improved: the bathroom needs a better mirror (only one small magnifying mirror installed). Also, I would have preferred to choose my cooked breakfast items (I don't like haggis and missed having a sausage!) Overall, a bit pricey but a nice treat.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was our third stay in 6 years in this excellent hotel. The rooms are fantastic, the atmosfere is great! The location I would consider unique and the staff is excellent!!
The dinner was included in the roomprice and was, again, excellent! One of the best meals we have had in Scotland! Great winelist as well.
Ideal for a hike, a tour or just to enjoy the scenery and food.
We will be back and next time we will make use of the ideal transport facility: the hydrplane out of glasgow, directly to the loch in front of the hotel!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We arrived on Saturday afternoon to find out that due to an admin error they did not have a courtyard room for us which we had booked and that we would have to stay in the main hotel. To be honest we were pretty disappointed because we were there for our anniversary and the only room left which we had been allocated didn't have a great view. However, the hotel more than made up for this by not only giving us our room free of charge but also giving us a voucher to come back and stay in a courtyard room on another occasion. Amazing customer service and extremely generous of them. The rest of our stay was just perfect. Lovely cosy wee bar (and charming Belgian bar man who knew his stuff) in which to enjoy an aperitif before dinner followed by what was definitely one of my favourite meals ever. Simply delicious! Five courses and I couldn't fault one mouthful. Beautifully presented food using local and seasonal produce and cooked to perfection. The wines on the wine list were well selected and reasonably priced too.
We had a great night's sleep in our comfy wee room, furnished with Harris tweed cushions and throws and with a good selection of pukka teas, homemade shortbread and local organic toiletries.
Breakfast the next day was simple but good and the hotel is in the middle of some gorgeous scenery, perfect for walking off all the extra calories consumed the night before.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you are a foodie.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in one of the feature rooms in the main hotel - a corner room with a great view and perfect for relaxing in before dinner. Dinner was superb - great seasonal and local Perthshire produce expertly cooked and beautifully presented. The staff were friendly, attentive and well trained. Overall, Monachyle Mhor is one of the best small hotels we have stayed in anywhere.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

About as good as it gets - Excellent food wine service and location. Our room was spectacular as are the views and the commitment to the countryside. The hosts Tom and Lisa and their staff are very welcoming. Lots to explore with waterfalls lochs and hills in Rob Roy country. We' ll be back

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Trip advisor needs an option for "good". We spent a night here in August 2013, we'd planned on staying 2 but in retrospect 1 night was fine.

The food was very good, some of the staff were excellent, others were quite poor.Our room (one of the most expensive, a feature room) was nice, but a little tired and could benefit from dusting more thoroughly. Bathroom was excellent. Annoyingly one window had an ineffectual blind so the room was quite bright from 4am onwards.

What was noticeably lacking was any sort of proper lounge area. Normally in hotels of this size and price bracket, there is a sizeable lounge for sitting in before and after dinner. There is one smallish room set up more like a waiting room. So really once dinner is over there is little option than to retire to your room. This is fine if you're only there for a night but if staying longer this would be annoying. Additionally this would be rubbish in the winter when it's nice to have the option of sitting in a comfortable lounge in front of a fire.

In conclusion, a bit of a mixed bag, some very good bits, let down by some mediocre bits. I'm not sure that we'd return, particularly considering the cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OwlMother
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!