“Great stay for the low pricing!”
Review of Oak Tree Inn

Oak Tree Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Balmaha B&B and Inns
Ireland
“Great stay for the low pricing!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

we stayed here for one night in March on a trip around west Scotland. we arrived about 5 on spec and thankfully they had a room available. It was a double room in the main building. The Inn is so rustic and traditional looking (and the price only £40!) so we werent expecting too much from the room, basic bed etc. But have to say it was lovely, fresh and modern looking. nice bed. The bathroom was basic enough but again clean, modern and fresh. My only gripe is that the curtains are too short and light comes in under them in the morn! we also ate that night in the bar. Food was lovely and plentiful, simple bar food but tasty all the same! I had the burger which was huge, we were too full for anything else afterwards. The bar is warm and cosy. We went back up to the room for nap as we were tired from travelling. We woke at 11.30pm and went down to see about a drink or 2 but everything was dark! our own fault as we're used to Irish times! we went down for breakfast the next morning and again all fresh and plenty of choice. was buffet style which was fine. overall pleasant stay and great price. location lovely and quiet, right by the loch. One other thing, they dont accpet cards for food or drink so bring some cash!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A great hotel away from the busy side of Loch Lomond in beautiful location. Great rooms and the bar is great for walkers after a day in the mountains. Food super and a welcoming atmosphere.We will visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in this beautiful & peaceful location alongside Loch Lomond. I was greeted by the boss who had a great sense of humour and was allocated a room in one of their cottages which was very quiet and well situated with off road parking. All of the staff were ever so helpful for the whole of my stay. The restaurant and bar were excellent serving large portions of first class food and beers, some from their very own brewery.
I would definitely recommend this place to all and I hope to visit again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This review is about the pub, not about the hotel.

This is the only pub in the area, so you won't have many more options if you are looking for a place to eat and drink without driving. The food is excellent and the portions huge but quite pricy in my opinion. The artic charr is amazing. The fish platter is also excellent. I would also recommend the hose cider.

You cannot book tables in this place, so you may have to wait if busy, but it is worth the waiting.

It would be a 5 star review if it wasn't fro the prices.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Buckie, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Only spent 1 night at Oak Tree Inn in one of their cottages (Loch Sloy) and it was excellent, we even had a balcony and view of Loch Lomond. The reception on arrival was warm and friendly. The room was fresh, clean and very comfy. Ensuite shower room was very clean and with under floor heating. Tea/coffee facilities in room and TV. We did sometimes hear other guests but not that it affected our stay or sleep and let’s face it I’m sure many of us sometimes hear our neighbours at home so why should a hotel be any different! There was plenty of choice from the menu and the food and service was excellent. The scenery is stunning and there are lovely walks around the Loch. There is a wee Village Shop next door that has everything you'd need. Breakfast is self service and there was plenty of choice. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Cottage (Loch Sloy) - Room 56 - excellent!!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent 4 nights at a room in the Cottery on a half price offer which proved to be great value. The room was lovely; warm, a big, modern wet room, good storage, beautifully clean. The bed was comfortable. The thermal insulation was excellent -it was freezing outside. We could, however, hear the guests upstairs even though they weren't being noisy, just talking, opening drawers, walking ( squeaky floorboards) and were thankful they went to sleep when we did!
Buffet breakfast was tasty, varied and plentiful.
Shame about the lack of Wi fi in the cottages. We couldn't get a connection anywhere at any time apart from in the bar. A more powerful wireless signal at the inn or maybe a broadband connection to the group of cottages might sort that problem.
Surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wander down to the jetty and a small ferry can take you to the nearest island, Inchcailloch, an unspoilt haven, with well marked walks and views of the loch. The ferry cost us £5 each return (pick up arranged to suit). Also the local,1 hour long, Millenium Walk gives you a fantastic views. We also found it easy to visit relatives in Bearsden, 25 minutes away.
I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The Cottery is very good if you don't need to use wifi in your room.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed for two nights on the 25th March with my wife. We had booked with an Itison voucher given to us by a friend who could not use it. The accommodation consists of the Inn itself plus a couple of cottages. On checking in, we where informed that we would be in one of the cottages. room 55, upstairs in the cottage named Loch Sloy. Although, just next door, we where told we could drive up to the cottage and park in front of it, which we did. On arriving at the cottage, I asked my wife if we had the correct place, as all I could see was a bungalow type cottage, with a small roof space, and we where supposed to be upstairs. On entering the cottage, there was indeed a staircase taking us up to another level. On opening the door, we could not believe what was supposed to be a room. It was an attic conversion with a Velux window at one side. You could only stand up straight in the middle of the room or only slightly to the left or right of centre. Bare in mind. My wife and I are not tall. I am only 5' 7" and my wife is only 5' 5", so heaven forbid anyone staying there that is 6' tall. The room was fresh and modern and very clean, but seriously lacked storage space. Apart from two single beds, there was only a chest of 5 drawers to put anything in, no wardrobe, so if you where planing on staying for a week or so, you would be struggling.There were tea and coffee facilities, but to use them, you had to bend down or kneel on the floor. The first morning, I turned over to switch off my alarm and banged my head on the ceiling. As I didn't pay for this stay, I didn't complain, but as they normally charge £75 per night for this room, I would certainly be looking for a better room or my money back. I myself work in a 4* Hotel in Edinburgh, so rack rates aside, at this time of year, you can get a far superior room than this at the price. However, service and food are a completely different matter. Breakfast when busy is a buffet, and there was plenty to choose from and all the cooked food was piping hot, which sometimes isn't the case even in a 4* Hotel. I am coeliac, so I am limited to what I can eat, but I still had plenty to choose from. Evening meals too where amazing. Massive helpings at reasonable prices served by very helpfull waitresses who even made suggestions as to what would be suitable for me to eat. A mention must go to Louise in the Bar/Restaurant, really cheery and helpfull, and nothing was a bother for her. Definately an asset to the Inn. I would go back, certainly because of the food and service, but I would certainly not stay in their attic rooms.

3 Thank Tam B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmaha
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Oak Tree Inn? Share your experiences!