“Bar - Restaurant Review”
Review of Oak Tree Inn

Oak Tree Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Balmaha B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This review is about the pub, not about the hotel.

This is the only pub in the area, so you won't have many more options if you are looking for a place to eat and drink without driving. The food is excellent and the portions huge but quite pricy in my opinion. The artic charr is amazing. The fish platter is also excellent. I would also recommend the hose cider.

You cannot book tables in this place, so you may have to wait if busy, but it is worth the waiting.

It would be a 5 star review if it wasn't fro the prices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Only spent 1 night at Oak Tree Inn in one of their cottages (Loch Sloy) and it was excellent, we even had a balcony and view of Loch Lomond. The reception on arrival was warm and friendly. The room was fresh, clean and very comfy. Ensuite shower room was very clean and with under floor heating. Tea/coffee facilities in room and TV. We did sometimes hear other guests but not that it affected our stay or sleep and let’s face it I’m sure many of us sometimes hear our neighbours at home so why should a hotel be any different! There was plenty of choice from the menu and the food and service was excellent. The scenery is stunning and there are lovely walks around the Loch. There is a wee Village Shop next door that has everything you'd need. Breakfast is self service and there was plenty of choice. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Cottage (Loch Sloy) - Room 56 - excellent!!
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent 4 nights at a room in the Cottery on a half price offer which proved to be great value. The room was lovely; warm, a big, modern wet room, good storage, beautifully clean. The bed was comfortable. The thermal insulation was excellent -it was freezing outside. We could, however, hear the guests upstairs even though they weren't being noisy, just talking, opening drawers, walking ( squeaky floorboards) and were thankful they went to sleep when we did!
Buffet breakfast was tasty, varied and plentiful.
Shame about the lack of Wi fi in the cottages. We couldn't get a connection anywhere at any time apart from in the bar. A more powerful wireless signal at the inn or maybe a broadband connection to the group of cottages might sort that problem.
Surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wander down to the jetty and a small ferry can take you to the nearest island, Inchcailloch, an unspoilt haven, with well marked walks and views of the loch. The ferry cost us £5 each return (pick up arranged to suit). Also the local,1 hour long, Millenium Walk gives you a fantastic views. We also found it easy to visit relatives in Bearsden, 25 minutes away.
I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The Cottery is very good if you don't need to use wifi in your room.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed for two nights on the 25th March with my wife. We had booked with an Itison voucher given to us by a friend who could not use it. The accommodation consists of the Inn itself plus a couple of cottages. On checking in, we where informed that we would be in one of the cottages. room 55, upstairs in the cottage named Loch Sloy. Although, just next door, we where told we could drive up to the cottage and park in front of it, which we did. On arriving at the cottage, I asked my wife if we had the correct place, as all I could see was a bungalow type cottage, with a small roof space, and we where supposed to be upstairs. On entering the cottage, there was indeed a staircase taking us up to another level. On opening the door, we could not believe what was supposed to be a room. It was an attic conversion with a Velux window at one side. You could only stand up straight in the middle of the room or only slightly to the left or right of centre. Bare in mind. My wife and I are not tall. I am only 5' 7" and my wife is only 5' 5", so heaven forbid anyone staying there that is 6' tall. The room was fresh and modern and very clean, but seriously lacked storage space. Apart from two single beds, there was only a chest of 5 drawers to put anything in, no wardrobe, so if you where planing on staying for a week or so, you would be struggling.There were tea and coffee facilities, but to use them, you had to bend down or kneel on the floor. The first morning, I turned over to switch off my alarm and banged my head on the ceiling. As I didn't pay for this stay, I didn't complain, but as they normally charge £75 per night for this room, I would certainly be looking for a better room or my money back. I myself work in a 4* Hotel in Edinburgh, so rack rates aside, at this time of year, you can get a far superior room than this at the price. However, service and food are a completely different matter. Breakfast when busy is a buffet, and there was plenty to choose from and all the cooked food was piping hot, which sometimes isn't the case even in a 4* Hotel. I am coeliac, so I am limited to what I can eat, but I still had plenty to choose from. Evening meals too where amazing. Massive helpings at reasonable prices served by very helpfull waitresses who even made suggestions as to what would be suitable for me to eat. A mention must go to Louise in the Bar/Restaurant, really cheery and helpfull, and nothing was a bother for her. Definately an asset to the Inn. I would go back, certainly because of the food and service, but I would certainly not stay in their attic rooms.

3  Thank Tam B
Reviewed March 30, 2013

have stayed over here when walking west highland way a few years ago and have been back for dinner many times since..food is ALWAYS fab..staff are always welcoming and friendly..nothing is too much bother..there is a lovely open fire that is great in the winter, the menu has something for everyone.. the portions are very generous and it is very reasonably priced. the last time we were there i had large prawns in a spicy sauce that were amazing and it came with garlic bread to soak the sauce up, then i had the mince in the large yorkshire pudding..amazing...my hubby had the fish and chips and it would have served 2 people, then for desert we had the cookie dough and ice cream..all washed down with a great bottle of wine..i am slowly working my way through the menu as everything looks fab...we have had pizza, steak, gammon steak and many more..highly recommended for anyone looking for somewhere to go for lunch/dinner...great resturant and very friendly staff...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Went for a dinner with couple friends. We were "welcomed" by a young waitress. The reustarant is full of what i see as junk. Cups hanging of the ceiling, old printers, and walls are full of random paintings. Drinks are overpriced and so is food. We had a haddock, veg lasagne and a "ceasar salad". Fish was soggy and tasteless, not a fresh fish. Lasagne was also frozen, you could taste it....Lets talk about the salad...Dressing tasted as if bought in....leaves sticking out of the plate....chicken cooked beyond belief and bacon soggy....not a good experience.....

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank arthur19832
Reviewed March 27, 2013

spent 2 nights here in cottary cottage 63 luxury accomodation very spacious throughout and very warm especially in this weather.we had bed and breakfast which was excellant.Unfortunately there was nothing for us to do as the area is best suited for walkers doing the west highland way and it is a beautiful area also very busy even at this time of year

Room Tip: i recommend going for the cottage area as it is very spacious
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmaha
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Oak Tree Inn? Share your experiences!