“The lawn mower”

Loch Lomond Waterfront
Woerden, The Netherlands
“The lawn mower”
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I stayed at Loch Lomond Waterfront for 2 weeks back in july 2010 but I wasn't a pleasant stay, at all!

I was really looking forward to spend some time doing just nothing.after a tough and quite a noisy year. This hottub with view on the lake idea sounded ideal for me, great!

After my arrival the problems begun. On day 1, the day after a uncomfortable trip to Balmaha, I was expecting to arrive in a paradise, but the problems started with breakfast. Every morning there was a guy firing up the hot tub and I guess he was checking the water quality too. Maybe it is quite a strange thing but I'm always having breakfast in my underwear and with that in mind I would love some privacy especially when I am on holiday!

In the afternoon the same guy was mowing which was quite noisy and he did it quite often, to much if you ask me. To keep it short, I was just looking for a silent afternoon in Scotland and I did not find it here, thanks to the stupid lawn mower over and over again. I know this work has to be done but every time he managed to do it on the wrong time!

The hot tub for example: I only used it once in my 2 weeks staying there, and in this 15 minutes in the 2 weeks the mower managed to mow the grass next to my head when I'm "relaxing" in the hot tub, I could actually smell it! I mean there was enough grass in the rest of the park, why on earth does he have to mow it next to my head!

I had a horrible time there!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
14 Thank RottenApple2

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
scotland
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Mature group, 1 of whom who has not had an easy year. We went to cheer her up. Only 4 people allowed in hot tub, despite plenty of space for more Lodge sleeps 6 but 2 must stay out. No hot tub use after 11pm. No music to be played with doors open onto patio. No wii fi connection. No fresh towels daily. Twice we had been told off before 8pm on 1st day for potential complaints due to noise (despite no one actually complaining). On 2nd night at 4 minutes past 11, owners appeared on patio for 3rd time to let us know it was past 11pm and spoken to like children. Both owners very oppressive and challenging . Do not go here with a group of friends intending on having a bit of a laugh. My friends left early leaving me to call my husband to join me for the final night of my birthday celebration. I suggested that the hot tubs be taken away in order to satisfy their obvious dislike of external noise and CD players removed for same reason.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
32 Thank amma2503
fife
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Just returned from a mid week break at the Waterfront...
To be honest I was quite disapointed ..
Maybe were just unlucky..The Lodge [no.8.. single storey].. was large and fully equipped with everything you would need for a self catering break..
It was clean.. although one of the showers did have black mould round the bottom of the floor tray..
The hydrotherepy shower did not work. Reported to reception the following morning.. was assured someone would be out later that day/evening to have a look..No one came...Reported again on Wednesday morning .. [now 2 days without the Hydro shower]..was sorted by the time we came back from our trip out.. Used the Shower Wednesday night..Late that night. the carpet in the hall. outside the shower was soaking..Reported it to reception Thursday morning.. I felt the gentleman was quite abrupt..he suggested that we had let the shower over flow... Wrong.. Used the Shower again Thurdsay night.. same thing happened.. soaking wet carpet in the hall.. Husband spoke to gentleman again when we were leaving again this morning.. he then tried to tell us that it was the previous occupents who had soaked the carpet.. wrong.. again.. the carpet was dry Mon/Tues..it was only when you used the hydro shower..he didn't seem interested..
On the plus side.. we did enjoy our stay.. Lovely peaceful location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank cockerpony
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This trip was a Christmas present from my husband, I have never been to Scotland before. I cannot begin to describe just how fantastic this place was. We have travelled all over the world but have never enjoyed anything like this. We stayed in the Diamond Lodge 6. A beautiful 2 storey log cabin nothing like I expected. To say the lodge was clean would be an understatement, it was spotless with beautiful furnishings and very very spacious. We had a sauna and the most fantastic outdoor Hot-tub. Have you ever lay in lovely hot water minus 6 outdoors with snow falling on you face at 10pm...well we did & we will never this beautiful memory. We arrived at night so the view the following morning over the Loch made me cry, it is simply moving to see the loch & the snow over the mountains. Balmaha is such a tiny village with a fantastic pub The Oak Tree 5 minutes away. We had fanatstics meals there highly reccommended. The local shop next to the pub was also very good. I have read other reviews regarding the staff being rude...what a load of rubbish...the staff could not do enough for you even the handyman spoke to us and told us where to walk around the loch. As for the owners they were lovely people as was their dog Flin...they went out of their way to help us when we decided to stay an extra couple of days, we just didnt want to go home.... I thank everyone at Waterfront for the best christmas present ever.My husband & I after 30 years together have found our magical haven....we going back cancelling plans to go abroad in March...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lewis10058
El Campello
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Beautiful, spacious, clean, modern luxurous chalets on the waterfront of Loch Lomond. Spectacular views. These luxury lodges are very warm and spacious. Plenty of room to spread out and relax. Superb Hot tub on the terrace. Quiet and peacefull location.The steam shower was fantastic. Just the place to relax and unwind in a tranquil setting. Minutes walk from the nearest pub which has excellent food and a lovely log fire to welcome you. Plenty of walking paths nearby, but the chalets have their own private beach if its just a stroll you want. Great location with plenty to keep you busy for a week. Owners and staff very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend for a good de-stress.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElCampelloJayne
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stopped at a Waterfront Lodge for two nights recently for a family wedding. The lodges were lovely - very well equipped with everything you would need from garlic press to crystal glasses for that special meal. The lodge had two double bedrooms and a sofabed. The view from the lodge was spectacular and we were blessed with sunshine and blue skies. The beds were very large (7ft), there were leather sofas, a large screen TV (signal not that good) and plenty of space. Free wi-fi is provided but because of the location, the signal can be intermittent. The kitchen was equipped with dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, tea towels, oven gloves – everything you would need. The only thing missing was bathroom toiletries, but remember this is self catering.
The hot tub was great fun and the steam shower was very welcome after a long walk. The owners are very strict about rules regarding the hot tub and I think this is for health and safety reasons and for the comfort of other guests.
There is wooden garden furniture outside along with parasol.
The wedding marquee location was perfect – right on the water’s edge. I have only given four stars because there was one thing that slightly marred the evening and that was after the bar had closed one of the lodge guests went and collected 4 tins of lager from his lodge and we were challenged by a gentleman who said that we should not be drinking alcohol not purchased from the bar. We had used the bar all evening but wanted to continue the celebrations. The lager was provided after the bar had closed. I mentioned that we were staying at one of the lodges and he rather ungraciously walked away without comment. I feel that he could have handled the situation better and if he had made enquiries, he would have discovered that the party had filled his coffers rather well that weekend. I believe the wedding party had hired at least 5 lodges.
Would I recommend this venue? Yes, most definitely and I would be happy to spend a week here taking advantage of the local walks, sailing and beautiful scenery.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank HelenNorthants
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2010

The location of these lodges is excellent, it is a super break for relaxing and enjoying the Scottish scenery. We stayed in lodge 2 and it was well equipped and extremely spacious. I would have to agree though with a previous review of "could do better".
The agent website we used to book this, advertised the location as having an onsite bistro and shop, but when we arrived it was closed, we were disappointed as this was one of the appealing features of the site. The lodges are advertished as having WI-FI broadband but the signal was not strong enough any of the 6 days we were there, we had to sit outside with the laptop to get the internet. The TV signal is also poor we got fed up trying to watch the tele as it would freeze for minutes at a time about every 5-10 minutes. There was no dishwasher in our lodge so it was back to washing the dishes by hand (not my idea of 5 star) and the drains in the kitchen and to the wasing machine smelt foul.
We found the staff pretty unhelpful, we were given the impression they were overworked and undervalued. We had enquired with them to hire fishing gear and we were told this would be possible. On the day of the boat trip we went to reception to arrange to pick up the kit and it was closed, we called and the owner told us a lady would be along soon to help us. After waiting about half and hour she had opened up but could not assist us as it was her first day! We ended up going out on the boat with no fishing gear.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ARB8
Balmaha, Owner at Loch Lomond Waterfront, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
We are truly sorry that you felt our service did not meet your expectations. If you had mentioned the dishwasher problem during your stay we could have shown you where it was (it is an integrated one). We can't find a drains smell at all and no one else has mentioned it but the local farmer was fertilizing fields that day. Maybe that was the problem after all.

The poor digital signals you experienced can be intermittently bothersome I agree. We have installed the most powerful transmitter but there are many protected trees surrounding the site and the satellite is very low on the horizon. But all guests are welcome to use our office facilities at any time free of charge.

We were delighted that you wanted to use so many of our additional services and it is a great shame that our longstanding and very loyal book keeper did not know where the fishing tackle was that we had put aside for you. It was our one day off in the week and we were in the countryside and in and out of range of a mobile signal. We are a self catering business with a loyal compliment of staff. But when sick leave compounds with holiday leave we do all have to double up and just put in the extra hours somehow. We will all try harder to apply the duck principal in future; You know All serene on the surface but paddle like crazy underneath! By the way our office is manned nearly everyday and our home landline and personal mobile numbers are available to all our guests should you want them next time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmaha
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Loch Lomond Waterfront? Share your experiences!