“Best ever restaurant view?”
Review of The Kilted Skirlie

The Kilted Skirlie
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sitting in our restaurant, you can stare out from either our floor to ceiling windows or our 100ft balcony (which is especially nice when the sun comes to visit) and you will have completely unobstructed views of the gorgeous Loch Lomond and the Bens. Whether you have spent a hard day shopping in the mall or are taking a cruise up the Loch - your day wouldn't be complete without a visit to The Kilted Skirlie at Loch Lomond Shores. The Kilted Skirlie and its surroundings is the best place to get away from your busy life and enjoy a meal in Scotland's most romantic setting. Open from 10.30am every day, The Kilted Skirlie offers a full breakfast menu until 12pm at which point we start serving our sumptuous Al a Carte Menu, full of hearty dishes made using only the best local ingredients or you can even you can choose from our brilliantly priced Set Menu. Our restaurant and contemporary lounge, can handle anything from a romantic booking for two by the window, to large family gatherings, parties and weddings - Please contact us for further details. We look forward to giving you a warm Scottish welcome when you visit us at The Kilted Skirlie.
Corfu, Greece
“Best ever restaurant view?”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've been coming here for many years now, from the original Meson del Lago to the present day Kilted Skirlie. Under the current owners (who have been in situ for quite a few years) the food has never been less than outstanding, and I have always found the service to be beyond reproach. The most recent visit simply reinforced that opinion, though some of my favourite dishes (such as Chicken and Leek Pie and Chicken Enchiladas had disappeared from the new menu!). The decor -which dates back to the unlamented original Kilted Skirlie - could certainly be improved, but there are surely few better views to be had from any restaurant in Scotland. Apart from the loch itself, four Munros can be seen, as well as the Luss hills. Truly a feast for the eyes - and the stomach!

• Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dreadful Experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Dreadful service from start to finish. Ordered two main courses. One arrived and the waiter asks "are you not eating sir?". so had to wait while they made my meal. Food was actually ok.
Had to go to the bar to chase up drinks orders as they did not show up.
Issues with their chip and pin machine also as they couldn't get it to connect with the wifi. Took over five attempts, whilst being told the issue was down to my card not working!
Really badly managed place.
Avoid.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“New Head Chef & Menu - very good”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went to the Kilted Skirlie after a long day at work not wanting to go home and cook. We've been before but not for a few months.

It was a Tuesday evening and Lomond shores was already shut, only the Kilted Skirlie was open and we were the only people there. This is a pity because it is a great place to eat and sad to see it has no patronage. They admit they even sometimes close early in the winter as no one is there. So sometimes worth calling ahead.

Anyway we were sat right down (of course) and the staff was incredibly nice. We ordered a mixed bread board and haggis balls for starters. The bread board was massive with 8 large slices of mixed bread and associated dips. You received 3 breaded and fried haggis balls with dip and salad. These were really nice and a perfect starter.

The meal came quickly after. My wife had a Risotto and I had the Pan Fried Chicken. The Risotto was a very large portion but my wife would have liked more flavour in it, though she was unsure what it needed to make it amazing (and this is the only reason for 4 and not 5 starts here). The chicken was well presented in a dark sauce with veggies. I substituted the potato gratin with fries. Chicken was very juicy and no real complaints.

For after we ordered chocolate fudge cake and a belgian chocolate cup. The cake was wonderful and the chocolate cup was a coffee cup full of thick creamy chocolate. even loving chocolate I struggled to finish it.

The final bill (we had a 10% off voucher) came to £38 which for 3 courses was excellent.

They also have a petition to get the Shores to permit parking at their door in the off season so you do not have to leave your car in the large rear parking lot and walk to it in the dark - and I hope they do get this passed cause it would improve patronage. As we left 1 other couple came in but sadly I think that was all for the evening. The menu is new, less curry on it and the new chef has an entirely new menu but the quality is still there it is just sad to see so few people enjoying it.

• Visited October 2013
“very good!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I met a friend for lunch here on a busy Saturday. Staff were really nice and coped well with the busy restuarant. We enquired what the soup of the day was and were given two different options. I was intrigued with the combination and our server offered to go and get some to let us try it. The soup was lovely so we ordered that followed by the salmon.
I couldn't fault the food. Well presented and very tasty.
I'll definitely be back as it is excellent value for money with a view to die for.

• Visited October 2013
Grenzach-Wyhlen, Germany
“A dinner with fantastic few over Loch Lomond”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was in this restaurant at my last evening which i stayed in august in scotland. Warm and sunny weather and the sun came down. A fantastic few over Loch Lomond and it was nice to sit there. The Haggis starter is a dream for everybody who like haggis. The food are fine and the prices for the ambience and the quality are very cheap!

Visited August 2013