“Nice impromptu Friday night dining”
Review of The Kilted Skirlie

The Kilted Skirlie
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sitting in our restaurant, you can stare out from either our floor to ceiling windows or our 100ft balcony (which is especially nice when the sun comes to visit) and you will have completely unobstructed views of the gorgeous Loch Lomond and the Bens. Whether you have spent a hard day shopping in the mall or are taking a cruise up the Loch - your day wouldn't be complete without a visit to The Kilted Skirlie at Loch Lomond Shores. The Kilted Skirlie and its surroundings is the best place to get away from your busy life and enjoy a meal in Scotland's most romantic setting. Open from 10.30am every day, The Kilted Skirlie offers a full breakfast menu until 12pm at which point we start serving our sumptuous Al a Carte Menu, full of hearty dishes made using only the best local ingredients or you can even you can choose from our brilliantly priced Set Menu. Our restaurant and contemporary lounge, can handle anything from a romantic booking for two by the window, to large family gatherings, parties and weddings - Please contact us for further details. We look forward to giving you a warm Scottish welcome when you visit us at The Kilted Skirlie.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice impromptu Friday night dining”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Decided to go for a drive away from Gladgow for a nice dinner. Saw the Kilted Skirlie on the Internet. Looked like a Social Club upon walking in (a little dated) but being seated next to the beautiful views of Loch Lomond allowed you to forget the interior. The menu was simple but certainly enough to choose from. Ordered starters; mushrooms were exactly as stated on the menu....spicy...just the way I like it. We also had the haggis & black pudding fritters which were delicious but definitely too small a portion.
Main meals were very nice indeed although I did find the meal a little expensive for what we had. Waiting staff were very friendly.
Would love to return for maybe a bite of lunch on the balcony in the sun.

• Visited August 2013

“Big food with a view”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

great choice on the menu and specials on the board sitting outside on warm day is delightful great view of the Loch if its not raining

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ArchieL231
“Shame about the children's menu”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We ate here yesterday. The views were lovely, food good although the portions a bit small. The service was good and decor also. We had small children with us. I ordered the 'mince and tatties' from the children's menu for my baby. It arrived complete with a side salad of stringy carrots and lettuce, and the tatties were whole, not mashed. Perhaps I wasnt specific enough when I ordered, but this was not a baby/ child friendly meal

• Visited August 2013
“Not very impressed”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went to the Lounge of Kilted Skirlie today while visiting Sealife Centre for lunch.
First impressions were not great. Lounge looked shabby and grubby, but as there were clear tables we decided to stay and order.
Not a great choice on menu, very basic. Took a while to get food order taken at bar as staff were chatting to their friends/colleagues.
Very cafeteria feel as you have to organise your own cutlery and condiments from a trolley.

Took around half an hour for our food to arrive, which seemed a long time for a burger and a ciabatta.

Overall impression is that the food is adequate for the price, but I don't think we'll be back.
I was expecting fresher, nicer food and a generally nicer environment.

Visited August 2013
Balloch Scotland
“Standards have dropped”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Took visitors here for lunch and decided to go into the lounge area rather than the restaurant. Last time I was in the restaurant, they told me if I wanted something light, like a baguette, I'd have to eat in the lounge... Anyway, we initially sat outside, but soon after we'd made ourselves comfortable we realised we were sat next to something covered in back plastic, and birds**t. The decking is tired and the railings look dirty. We went inside and found it less than welcoming. Dead flies on windowsill, obviously not cleaned for a while, and a general air of neglect. I ordered the baguette,and my friends ordered burgers, and a mozzarella salad. Unfortunately the salad had started to wilt, and was turning brown, not fresh. The Cajun chicken was cold, although the ciabatta baguette was warm? Horrible. The burger was dry, saved only by the bacon and cheese topping. All in all, I'm disappointed. I've often taken visitors there over the past few years, but feel that standards have definitely dropped. Staff are lovely, though not enough of them, and the place needs a shot of some TLC it to restore into its former glory. The views are to die for, but sorry, it's not enough...

Visited July 2013