“TERRIBLE service”
Review of The Tullie Inn

The Tullie Inn
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Balloch
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Staff were unfriendly and dont seem to handle the demands of a saturday night. We would not advice going here, instead we refer Cucina it was incredible all round :)

1  Thank Vinod B
TullieInn, General Manager at The Tullie Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

I am sorry to hear that. I would be grateful if you could contact us directly so we can establish what the issue was. Please call us on 01389 752052 or email us at tullieinn@maclay.co.uk.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

First of all can I point out that I REALLY want to like this place, the refurb is pretty impressive and the food is excellent. However after have a really poor experience here a few months back due to the shockingly bad service, I decided to go back hoping things had improved - sadly not.

The first time we visited was a fairly quiet weekday. After our starters we waited around 10 minutes before our plates were cleared, whilst the staff stood around the bar chatting. Once our mains came and we finished these, we sat for a further 15 minutes with dirty plates at our table...staff casually walking back and forth past the table. Eventually I had to go and ask for the bill, paid and left vowing never to go back.

So, we visited again, this time on a quiet Sunday afternoon (there were 4 other tables in). Again, cannot fault the food, that was excellent. Admittedly not as bad as the first visit, however the service is still way below par. One couple across from us were sat for half an hour waiting for someone to take their order before the guy went up to the bar to order his food and drinks, I don't understand what the staff were doing during this time as they hadn't bothered to clear our table after our starters, again left with dirty plates for over 10 minutes. After our main, once again I was about to go and ask for the bill 10 minutes after finishing our mains,however one of the waitresses came to clear our table so saved me the trouble

On both visits a drinks order was taken at the start of the meal, we were not offered anything after this. And again on both visits no-one bothered to come around and ask how everything was. I don't get why the service is like this when it's been quiet, I dread to think what it's like on a busy evening.

This place has so much potential, but the service compared to other establishments in Balloch is appalling. Offering lunch deals, deals on websites like itison etc is all good and well, but when the service is so bad what is the point?? Rating would have been a 4 if not for the above. Won't be rushing back am afraid.

TullieInn, General Manager at The Tullie Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

I would like to apologies for your experiences. Please can you contact us directly to discuss this matter further? Please either email us at tullieinn@maclay.co.uk or call me on 01389 752052.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Popped in on a Saturday night for a couple of drinks, the music was too loud for conversation - it's a pub, not a nightclub, and believe it or not people like to talk on a night out...

After last orders were called at midnight (midnight? on a Saturday?) the young manager came around and informed us abruptly that we had 'one minute to drink up or I have to pour away your drink by law'. Normally you get a call after 5 or 10 minutes politely asking you to drink up when the bar is closing - i've never seen anyone behave so rudely to get rid of people before.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am very sorry that you felt the Duty Manager was abrupt as it certainly wasn't his intention. I do hope this will not put you off returning.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went into the Tullie for a quiet drink on a Saturday evening. At about 11:50pm, we went to the bar to order a second round of drinks and were served, no mention was made of any imminent closing time. At just before midnight, the lights flashed on and off to indicate last orders/bar closing. At that point the duty manager (Damien according to his badge) made a bee line for our table and said "You've got 1 minute to drink those drinks or I will take them off you BY LAW" and walked away. No eye contact was made, no polite 'Can you finish your drinks now please as we are closing soon'. No manners, quite frankly. We were stunned and wondered if the closing time was so strict, why did they serve us less than 10 minutes earlier? Also, no one else in the pub received that instruction. We were singled out for rudeness. We were not loud, drunk or rowdy and sat having a quiet drink at the end of what had been a lovely evening. We are a couple in our mid forties out with our 2 daughters who are both in their twenties, so I've no idea what Damien's problem with us was exactly? He certainly could've handled that one interaction he had with us a whole lot better. I do not recommend this place on the basis of the attitude and demeanour of the manager. Send him on a customer care course please!

I am very sorry if you felt that Damian was abrupt this should of never of happened. We do work very hard to make all our customers visits enjoyable. I do hope this will not put you off visiting us again.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife had a voucher for a meal deal and that's what took us to the tullie.
I had the Cullen skink as a starter and I have to say it was very good and is the reason that I have rated this up.
Main course was fish and chips . The fish was awful burnt batter and very dry, chips were average and the mushy peas were obviously put on the plate by a very smal teaspoon.
The staff were very helpful and did offer a discount until we advised we were on a deal , but fair play to the good lady she asked for another wine which the waiter duly obliged.

TullieInn, General Manager at The Tullie Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We are incredibly sorry that the batter was burnt, we will be investigating this further. I do hope that you will give us another chance and visit again soon.