“Canteen food in nice surroundings”
Review of Balloch House

Balloch House
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Great Country Pub which serves great food!
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Popped in here the other day for a quick meal after a long walk around balloch. Was seated quickly and handed a menu by an older waitress. The menu choices were rather limited and boring with options like lamb meatballs and a breaded fish and prawn dish which sounded revolting. I chose the batterred mushroom starter which wasnt bad but the single lettuce leaf it came with was absolutley pathetic in terms of a "salad". I then had my paprika battered chicken with chips for my main which was ok but nothing you wouldnt get in a basic canteen. The desert was truly bad apple fritters with the skin still on! and a miserable dribble of toffee sauce. Vile. The service was ok if a little unpersonable. The decor is cosy and quaint but you dont eat the decor afterall. Very average and chef really needs to up his game. Would recommend Commodore in helensburgh as this is how its done.

1  Thank cammy201
There are newer reviews for Balloch House

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We used this restaurant on a recent visit to Alexandria, to attend a wedding at the near-by Cameron House Hotel.

The menu choices at Balloch House were more suitable to our requirements than what Cameron House Hotel had to offer, for an evening meal. The prices at Balloch House were definitely more suitable to our needs.

Menu choice was good, service was good & the meals were served promptly. I opted for the game pie & the portions were a good size.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had booked the Balloch House in advance, shame the fog was in or was it? The opening gambit was at 1.30pm was you can't book in till 4.00pm!! Eventually the lady relented and booked us in at 2.45pm. In the room - which was very good and clean - the bed had to be propped up by a block of wood to make it level. We decided to eat in the Restaurant, the Haggis, neeps and tatties were really good as was my wife's fish. Sorry, but it's not what it should be.

1  Thank 19alm49
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had two evenings eating here. Both times the food was well cooked. The staff were swift and welcoming. The pub had a very welcome open fire burning brightly as it was cold and wet. I especially enjoy the haggis, nepps and tatties. Will be back when I'm in the area.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Pleasant surroundings and good selection available on Menu. I have had numerous meals here and usually enjoyed them at a reasonable price. Good pub lunch although service could be improved.