“Really disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Balloch House

Balloch House
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish, International
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A Great Country Pub which serves great food!
Scotland
“Really disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

It was a beautiful sunny day and we were about to go on a boat trip on Loch Lomond. We had time for a nice meal before our trip left. But we didn't get one! We had eaten here once before and it was ok. Not brilliant but not too bad and so were prepared to return. The positives first....the location and appearance of Balloch House. The negatives.....the food and service. (Which is quite important really!) Service was painfully slow and unwelcoming. The food was,quite frankly, terrible. At this point I should say that I am not a "tripadvisor moaner". I have never written a negative review before and always try to recommend based on my positive experiences. Until now. I can't tell you how disappointed we were with the food. One of worst meals my wife and I have ever had. My wife ordered a Brie and bacon bruschetta with the smallest amount of topping I have ever seen. When we alerted the staff that we were disappointed, to give some credit,the waiter admitted that it was indeed very poor and offered to replace. The replacement was marginally better. My own chicken based bruschetta was tasteless and unattractive. Since it was such a glorious day, the restaurant and outside dining areas were very busy but this did not warrant the terrible service we received. We were aware of two adjacent tables where the occupants had to complain of slow service,mixed up orders and poor quality food. When it came to settling up(I had to track down a waiter as we had been waiting for a considerable time to get our bill), there was no question to ask if everything was to our satisfaction. I said that we had had a disappointing meal and I got a shrug of the shoulders and a " right,ok" No apology and certainly no price reduction. As we left we could here mutterings from other diners saying how bad their meal was too. I really hope this was just a one-off bad day but it was so terrible an experience that I have to doubt it. I only give a score of one star for this experience purely for the great location otherwise I would give zero if I could.

1 Thank Andy3004

• Thai first
Littleborough, United Kingdom
“Let Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have dined at the Balloch many times over the years whilst visting family. It has been one of my favourite places to while away a few hours outside or especially in front of that wonderful fireplace. The last meal we had was very poor - the fish platter to share was a jumbled mass of overcooked breaded bits of calamari, prawns and whatever ever else it was meant to be. We told the waitress it was unacceptable, returned it and although we did not ask for the Manager, perhaps she should have brought him as good practice. We had already ordered a bottle of wine but cancelled the main order in any case. Not a lot done to put it right so am steering clear until we hear of better reports.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank diamonddiva4
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Country, Cosy Feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice place to eat. Menu has a reasonable selection of things like steak pie, fish, quite typical 'bar' food but with a modern twist. Nice surroundings; open fire, wooden beams, quite country and homely feeling. A pleasant place to eat and reasonably priced.

Visited November 2012
Alexandria
“Good ideas but in fits and starts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

For a change, my Wife and I decided to go for a different style instead of the normal Italian or Chinese. As we both love our fish and Scotland has some of the best we went for the fish night at the Balloch House. We were advised to book, which we did and turned up exactly on time. On arrival we were advised that the table was still in use, could we wait for a while, not at problem we said. Twenty minutes later I went and asked about the table. We were told it was ready and that they didn't know we were waiting. Not a good start.
The main reason for the choice had been the half-price bottle of wine offer with two of the fish mains; this was an okay bottle of chablis. We ordered and the service was very slick and not intrusive for the rest of the meal. My Wife went 70's and had a prawn cocktail which she enjoyed very much. I had the calamari which wasn't strictly calamari and was greatly padded out with dry lettuce. The "calamari" was various seafood odds and ends including baby octopus which was very nice, what there was of it. The fresh salsa served with didn't quite go but was very nice for me. People who are not keen on chilli beware as the burn was big!
I ordered the tuna for main, my wife had turbot. My wife's turbot was very good but shy on trimmings. I asked for my tuna to be cooked rare. I got well done but edible. The paella with it was superb.
The total price came to £49 before tip. The front of house staff need to sharpen up or they will loose custom. The waitresses never stop and are keen and efficient, but the kitchen needs to sort itself out. When you are charging £13 - £15 per portion you are heading towards fine dining or a la carte prices. This meal was not up to that level. It was okay and maybe worth it for the deal but that is all. Padding the menu with lettuce is not good, neither is ignoring the request from the customer. This should be no excuse just because the place is busy.Sort it out or lose custom.

Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect Gastropub on Loch Lomond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Relaxed gastropub at the foot of the Loch. Handy for Lomond Shores Mall and the delightful Balloch Castle Country Park.

Good range of cask ales and an extensive dinner menu served by a helpful and charming staff at reasonable prices. Also open to non-residents for a hefty breakfast.

Whether it's a swift pint or an evening meal, this charming timbered pub is recommended.