“Feeling the love - highly recommended”

Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Balloch
More attraction details
Owner description: Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre is located in the natural woodland. With purpose built housings, it is an ideal setting for nearly 40 Birds of Prey & Owls. The centre is home to over 20 Owls, representing every native species as well as unique or unusual species from other parts of the world. See "Orla", the magnificent Golden Eagle. And learn of our successes in rehabilitation of wild Birds of Prey & Owls in conjunction with the Scottish SPCA. An educational day out for all ages, and a chance to relax in wonderful surroundings.
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Feeling the love - highly recommended”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

After a struggle finding the centre (apparently the signs keep getting stolen) we were delighted to be shown around by the owner. He was friendly and helpful and you could really see he cared and loved the birds by the affectionate way they responded to him. The birds appeared to be in good health/spirits and very well-cared for with clean/spacious living areas. We stayed and chatted about the different birds and the owner was happy to talk and answer any questions we had. It is a shame the signs keep going missing as this place would benefit on the revenue from visits from random passers-by as well as people like us who had already planned our trip online (so we had a rough idea where the centre was). Would definitely visit again and recommend to anybody, especially families.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ClaraM1979

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome every time”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We've been several times and each time is wonderful. This is a special place--each of the birds have such different personalities and the staff are so knowledgeable and kind.

The Centre has a very personal feel and is a true labour of love--We can't recommend it enough. A singular experience and a great day out!

My husband and I try to always stop by on our way to or from walking in Balloch or near Loch Lomond. Best end to a walk--seeing some beautiful birds, up close.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank ts B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We'll be back!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Glad we made a second attempt to get to the centre. The first time we thought it wasn't there! It's not the easiest place to find but worth the wander through the garden centre. Knowledgeable and approachable staff. The birds are real characters themselves and we'll definitely be back to check out one of the experience days.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank WeeRonTour
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An amazing experience.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

What an amazing experience! I visited the Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre with my husband and daughter and we opted for the meet the birds experience - well worth it and we were there for almost a full day. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about what they do and they take the time to explain about each bird. Being able to hold a Little Owl, hold and stroke a Barn Owl and an Eagle Owl is a real privilege but the experience of holding a Golden Eagle is something that will never leave me. I actually cried because I felt so honoured to be near such a magnificent creature! Well worth a visit just to see the relationship the owner has with the Golden Eagle. I can't recommend the centre enough!

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Martine C
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Words won't do this centre enough justice... Must Visit!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have visited the centre twice now and can't wait to go back again!

On the first occasion my fiancé and I were with his nine year old little sister, Jen, and the staff were fabulous. The staff took the time and pride in sharing their knowledge with all of us and took extra time to ensure Jen understood the information and had all her questions answered. My fiancé and I are both passionate about wildlife and it was excellent to visit a centre with staff who are in the business for the correct reasons. We have visited many attractions where the birds of prey are merely a source of income.

On the second visit we arranged a flying experience with a harris hawk for my fiancé's Papa's birthday. Prior to our visit we spoke to Stuart, the owner, and explained that his Papa had health issues and we were concerned whether the experience would be too much for him. However, we were worrying for nothing! Stuart is so professional and knowledgable that the experience went fantastically and Papa was delighted with his birthday present. The photos I captured that day are framed in his living room and everyone who visits gets an education about the centre.

Overall, on first arriving at the centre we were anxious as to whether we would be able to pass a couple of hours. However, once inside the centre is in astonishing condition, the care and love that goes in to the centre is inspirational and the story behind the centre is very interesting in its own right. I would highly recommend the centre to everyone, of all ages and abilities. It is fantastic value for money whether you are just passing through or arranging an experience!

*Please note, the centre is at the rear of a garden centre which is highly beneficial as the garden centre has toilets and a cafe available.

Visited September 2011