“We'll be back!”

Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #5 of 20 things to do in Balloch
More attraction details
Owner description: Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre is located in a natural woodland. With purpose built housings, it is an ideal setting for nearly 40 Birds of Prey & Owls. The centre is home to over 20 Owls, representing every native species as well as unique or unusual species from other parts of the world. See "Orla", the magnificent Golden Eagle. And learn of our successes in rehabilitation of wild Birds of Prey & Owls. The education cabin provides a comfortable environment to learn about our residents. Full of information and displays of eggs, skulls and feathers. Children (and adults) can complete the quiz sheets or colour in sheets of our various birds. An educational day out for all ages, and a chance to relax in wonderful surroundings.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Glad we made a second attempt to get to the centre. The first time we thought it wasn't there! It's not the easiest place to find but worth the wander through the garden centre. Knowledgeable and approachable staff. The birds are real characters themselves and we'll definitely be back to check out one of the experience days.

1  Thank WeeRonTour
in 42 reviews
"small attraction"
"the barn"
in 5 reviews
"really enjoyed our visit"
"answer questions"
"great place to visit"
in 12 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 6 reviews
"would highly recommend a visit"
"different species"
in 6 reviews
"staff were really friendly"

Reviewed August 22, 2012

What an amazing experience! I visited the Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre with my husband and daughter and we opted for the meet the birds experience - well worth it and we were there for almost a full day. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about what they do and they take the time to explain about each bird. Being able to hold a Little Owl, hold and stroke a Barn Owl and an Eagle Owl is a real privilege but the experience of holding a Golden Eagle is something that will never leave me. I actually cried because I felt so honoured to be near such a magnificent creature! Well worth a visit just to see the relationship the owner has with the Golden Eagle. I can't recommend the centre enough!

3  Thank Martine C
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have visited the centre twice now and can't wait to go back again!

On the first occasion my fiancé and I were with his nine year old little sister, Jen, and the staff were fabulous. The staff took the time and pride in sharing their knowledge with all of us and took extra time to ensure Jen understood the information and had all her questions answered. My fiancé and I are both passionate about wildlife and it was excellent to visit a centre with staff who are in the business for the correct reasons. We have visited many attractions where the birds of prey are merely a source of income.

On the second visit we arranged a flying experience with a harris hawk for my fiancé's Papa's birthday. Prior to our visit we spoke to Stuart, the owner, and explained that his Papa had health issues and we were concerned whether the experience would be too much for him. However, we were worrying for nothing! Stuart is so professional and knowledgable that the experience went fantastically and Papa was delighted with his birthday present. The photos I captured that day are framed in his living room and everyone who visits gets an education about the centre.

Overall, on first arriving at the centre we were anxious as to whether we would be able to pass a couple of hours. However, once inside the centre is in astonishing condition, the care and love that goes in to the centre is inspirational and the story behind the centre is very interesting in its own right. I would highly recommend the centre to everyone, of all ages and abilities. It is fantastic value for money whether you are just passing through or arranging an experience!

*Please note, the centre is at the rear of a garden centre which is highly beneficial as the garden centre has toilets and a cafe available.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked a "mini meet the birds experience" for my husband and myself, as a surprise for his birthday. Stewart, the owner was very flexible and helpful throughout the booking process, and even though we got lost on our way & were quite a bit late, he welcomed us with a smile. The hours we have spent in the centre will without a doubt be treasured memories for both of us! There wasn't any silly question that Stewart couldn't answer, he is so passionate about his birds and his knowledge is amazing. The whole centre is lovely, very well maintained and clean, the birds are all in great condition, beautiful, healthy and content. You can tell they all have a really special, close relationship with him.
We have learnt so much, and holding these stunning birds in your hand, having them staring at you from inches away is an unbelievable thrill!
We would highly recommend the centre to everybody, for a short visit or a day out, young and old, any season, any time! Congratulations to all the staff and keep up the good work!