“Nice but not quite what we expected.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Loch Lomond Shores
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Balloch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Loch Lomond Shores is a stunning visitor destination set on the southern tip of Loch Lomond. With views up the Loch to Ben Lomond, the scenery is amazing. Come for the day and visit our lovely shops, our great Aquarium, Bird of Prey Centre, Aerial Adventure Course, Adventure Golf and have lunch or refreshments in one of our eateries, or simply let the kids enjoy our playpark whilst you sit back and relax. If you want to get even more active then you can hire bikes, boats, canoes, Segways, quadricycles or just sit back on a loch cruise or waterbus and let someone else do the hard work.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Derbyshire
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nice but not quite what we expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

We visited The Shores and were pleasantly surprised to find that the parking was free. We had the dog with us so could not go in all the shops or the Bird Centre and Aquarium. We were a little disappointed in the shops as some of them were ones you would get on any main street in the UK, I would have expected something a bit more erm, Scottish rather than Thorntons and a clothes shop (no disrespect to Thorntons but it doesn't really portray traditional Scottish tourism to me).

We went to The Cafe On The Loch and unfortunately timed it just as a coach party had arrived so service took ages. Whilst spending a long time in the queue I noticed 2 things that annoyed me. One (and this really is not a bad point against the place - just a personal gripe of mine) is that they had spelt Coffees wrong on both the window signage and the canopy over the counter. Incorrect use of apostrophes really grates on me! The other thing I noticed was that the girl behind the counter taking the orders and money never once said "please" when asking for the money. She just said the amount and I thought that was quite rude.

Anyway we got our sandwiches and coffee and they were really nice.

We used the toilet facilities in the foyer where Jenners is and they are amazing! The previous reviewer who said baby changing facilities were poor must have missed these as these loos were very well equipped, there was even a toilet specially for parents to take kids in with them.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Paula_n_Ivan
Loch_Lomond_Shores, Manager at Loch Lomond Shores, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I have passed your comments on to the team at Cafe on the Loch. I do hope that you come back again to visit Loch Lomond Shores.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Newcastle
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Another visit to Jenners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We've been going to Lomond Shores for a canny few years now and LOVE spending time in Jenners.......here I can indulge my handbag fetish as they have a reasonably sized handbag department. Jenners sells everything....clothes, handbags, perfumes and cosmetics, luggage, housewares.....I could go on but you get the gist. They also have a lovely cafe with some fantastic views over the Loch.

Leaving Jenners there's a shoe shop (mainly geared at the older customer), RSPB shop, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, gift shops, outdoorsy shop, jewellers and another clothes shop at the far end.....not an awful lot there to be totally honest but we mainly go for Jenners anyway.

Toilets always clean and plenty of them, nice stall outside selling plants.....we'll be back for our next annual visit in 2015.

Visited May 2014
Loch_Lomond_Shores, Manager at Loch Lomond Shores, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Welcome back and thank you for your comments.
We hope that you can visit more often
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lomond Bores”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Worth a walk round when passing but not a day out. Some of the shops a bit tatty but good facilities.

Visited March 2014
Loch_Lomond_Shores, Manager at Loch Lomond Shores, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your visit to Loch Lomond Shores, we are glad to hear that you liked the facilities.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Baby changing facilities let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I've been to Loch Lomond shores loads and think it's a great place with something for everyone, however after my first visit with my 3 month old baby boy yesterday (saturday 26th April) i'm not sure I'll be back.... at least not until he is out of nappies!

The baby changing facilities (and I use the word facilities loosely) are atrocious!

There is 1 tiny small room, I had to wait to get into it as there was an unfortunate person in there before me.

Getting into the room was a challenge in itself, I don't have the largest pram, infact I have one of the smaller models & only had the car seat fitted to it yesterday, anyway I only just managed to get the pram into the changing room and close the door behind me and then i really struggled to get back out again and my pram frame has swivel wheels, if you have one of the prams with fixed wheels you would be in trouble.

The room is TINY, if you have a larger pram or if you have a toddler with you then you'd really struggle and would probably have to keep the door open!

As the room's so small the smell from the nappy bin over powers you as you enter, there is a spray air freshener but that didn't make much difference, there is no where to sit your changing bag which means you have to put your bag into your pram or on the floor... Not ideal when you have a baby lying on the changing station.

There was a sign up from Arran Aromatics saying they where proud to sponsor the baby changing facilities and to enjoy the products... I didn't see any evidence of such products and I wonder if they know what they are sponsoring!

I find it quite surprising how inadequate the baby change facilities are compared to places like Braehead/Silverburn where there is bright airy rooms with at least 4 changing stations.

So sadly until my little one is able to use the toilet I'm not sure i'll be back at Loch Lomond Shores & would say to anyone with babies to consider the changing rooms before deciding to go, this is a shame as otherwise it's a great place.

Visited April 2014
Loch_Lomond_Shores, Manager at Loch Lomond Shores, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello and thank you for feeding back to us your thought on our facilities. There are 3 baby changing rooms within the main foyer ladies toilets and one large toilet to allow parents to use a toilet with a pram in beside them. I am sorry that the other may have been busy when you are here, the room that you used was our smallest baby changing room which is located in the corner of the toilets.
Notwithstanding any of this, we will absolutely take on board your comments and I will review this room and hopefully have it more comfortable for your next visit.
Please allow me to apologise for this spoiling your visit, and let me assure you that your feedback is appreciated.
Thurso, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Decent shopping and a good bar overlooking the Loch! Aquarium is worth a visit. Excellent tourism facilities to book activities for all the family!

Visited April 2014
Loch_Lomond_Shores, Manager at Loch Lomond Shores, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We are delighted to see your lovely review, glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
We hope that you can come back again soon.