“They couldn't do enough for us!”
Review of Tullie Inn

Tullie Inn
Ranked #13 of 24 Balloch B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2011

There was a gang of pals, staying Friday to Monday, and the staff and accommodation were both spot on!
The bedrooms varied with style, all comfortable and bathrooms fully equipped.
Some of the clientele that were there at the time of our stay were loud and lairy, which did disturb us. As the rooms were warm, so was the weather, we had to have the windows open. Shouting and general “lairyness” carried on from the early hours of the day!
It's a really busy place, some times it took a while to get served at the bar, but the drinks were reasonably priced. Having Mojitos on tab was amazing!!
Breakfast was all cooked fresh, and for the size of our party, managed extremely well. Catered for veggies and those who didn't fancy the haggis!
For our journey home (mini bus to the Midlands) they even let us use their glass dishwasher for our mugs, and their hot water boiler to fill our flasks. Could not have asked for better service!

Room Tip: Room4 family room, room wiith the twinbeds in, could be made private by closing ajoining door, which...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Tullie Inn

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Room adequate and superficially clean, but don't move the net curtains as the window frames are in need of a good clean.
Breakfast poor. No menu - this is difficult enough for those understading surly Scottish accent, impossible for those who don't have English as a first language. When questioned the waitress said to all guests "anything Scottish" - well no there was no porridge but you could have haggis or black pudding. Buffet table very poor only warm juices, cheap yogurt, packaged cereal or an apple. We asked for scrambled egg and bacon. We got a spoonful of hard scrambled egg and one minute rasher of bacon. It really felt that they were paring everyhing down to the bone. This place is ok if you are just passing through and needing a bed, but not if you want a good experience too.

Room Tip: Question the price as in a group of eight we all s
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ArdyneStEbba
Reviewed June 16, 2011

There was a friendly welcome and an offer to help with the bag.

The room was quite well equipped - including an iron and ironing board. Good range of toiletries and brewing up stuff (including biscuits).

Superficially, it's very clean - but they really need to deal with the thick layer of muck, or mould, on the window frames. And the mattress was well past its prime and in urgent need of replacement.

You're always going to have to wait a while for breakfast when it's freshly cooked. But this was well over 20 minutes and that's far too long. It was pretty reasonable when it came though (and much quicker the second morning).

We didnt eat at the Tullie in the evening. Frankly, the menu has all the usual suspects from the bottom end of the pub grub market. We reckoned we'd do better elsewhere and tried the Kilted Skirlie. at Loch Lomond Shores. I'm sure we made the right decision.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Rather nice hotel / pub, we stayed for 2 nights,
We had a great room well apart from the bathroom, as my partner and i are both over 5.10 we had a challenge using the bathroom, due to the celin being so low, it was impossible for either of us to use the shower standing up unless hunched over..
the window in the bathroom didnt close properly so there was a cold breeze coming through at all times.
Apart from that the room was great, nice comfy bed, great scottish breakfast in the morning,
Oh one last thing, the rail line is right outside this hotel, It's the final stop on that tline, there isnt many trains per day, but we did get a wake up call as it rummbled past.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed at the Tullie Inn 4 nights bed and breakfast during May 2011. The Staff were efficient and friendly, We had a meal in the restaurant a couple of evenings and the food was excellent. Full Scottish breakfast was the best we ever had. Our room was OK good value for money, there were only 4 coat hangers between the two of us, we did ask for more and got another 6, attention to detail springs to mind here, We could not open the windows in room number 1, but had a large floor standing fan in the room which we made use of, because of this I would hate to stay in this room in the middle of summer it must get really hot in there. The location is excellent (next door to the train station) we got the train to Glasgow around a 40 min journey. Lovely park to walk through at the side of the loch and cruises just across the road. I would stay at the Tullie again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I never stayed at this hotel, thankfully! I only stopped in for something to eat and a drink. The guy who served me at the bar (who I later found out to be the duty manager) was the most rude person I have ever met! He asked me my table number in which I replyed I would get it delivered to the table beside the bar which was 31, then take my food outside to eat in the sun. He then replyed "No you won't do that, there is a beer garden menu" My friend then said I only wanted chips, which he made a rude face at then got on with my order. My order came to £7, I was going to pay by my card which seemed to be another problem as he VERY rudley told me I can't pay with card and it has to be over £10, i said "Okay, I've never heard of that !" And went to get cash from my bag. He replyed to me saying "Well you have now" This is when I had to say to him about his cheek, and I got no reply. I also had to wait around 25 minutes just for chips.

Couldn't belive the attitude of him, I would never speak to customers like that in my work, and I certainly wouldn't get away with it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank angel6789
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We are in the Tullie In right now.

We booked a one night stay over four weeks ago ... we arrived at 1300 today ... we introduced our selves at reception ... they offered us tea and a seat ... then they explained that the web based computer confirmed reservation had been entered manually in to their paper system for tomorrow night and that they were fully booked for the night .... we had not paid a penny for our reservation so wondered what would happen next.

They had already contacted a neighbouring B+B who had a vacancy ... we walked round and checked out the B+B ... it was fine ... we went back to Tullie Inn ... they said they would pay for the B+B and also invited us to come back in the evening for dinner on the house.

There was no fuss ... they just got on with finding a solution ... and it worked.

It's easy running a place when all goes well ... the real test is what they do when things go wrong .... for me they get 10 out of 10.

Plus the food is very good, it's got great beer selection ... and it is in a good location.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balloch
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#22 of 24 in Balloch
The Waterhouse Inn
The Waterhouse Inn
#14 of 24 in Balloch

Been to Tullie Inn? Share your experiences!