“Excellent experience”

Ranked #3 of 26 Balloch B&B and Inns
Rijeka, Croatia
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Room is really lovely, clean and lightly. It's quiet area near to center and park. Breakfast was excellent, very tasty.
We hope to come again one day and strongly advise anyone who's seeking peace and rest.

P.S. Tnx Alison, You made our Lomond experience fantastic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My sister and I stayed 2 nights in the upstairs room. We were shown the room by Allison and it perfectly met our needs: a comfortable place to sleep at night as we are out and about during the day to explore. The attic room was cozy but met our needs perfectly. The grumpy old man in the adjoining attic family room was just that, grumpy! Allison is a very gracious host and her breakfast was the best, especially the homemade breakfast rolls. At the time of our stay we both agreed that this was the best B&B we had experienced in out 2 week ancestory discovery trek of Ireland and Scotland. We loved Woodvale and would highly recommend this B&B. Izzie Mc

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Izzzzie
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had previously stayed at another B&B in Balloch and upon returning to the area, we tried to stay with them again. Fortunately they were booked (even though they had a VANCANY sign outside) and referred us to Woodvale up the street. Luckily for us she had a room available and showed us the attic room at the end of the stairs. Granted it was small but very comfortable, clean, nicely decorated and with a sink. It came with a bathroom, located on the first floor, which was very nice, large and was furnished with towels and thick bath robes (both of which smelled wonderful). Breakfast was excellent, set in a cheery eating area. Allison was a very gracious host and allowed us to spend another night there. Both my sister and myself enjoyed our stay there (during our 2 week trip in Northern Ireland and Scotland, it was the best B&B we stayed at) and would stay there again most deffinitely.

Room Tip: Larger rooms are on the first floor and look very comfortable and nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We viewed the hotel on the website before we booked. We were told we would be in the family room for 2 nights (there was no mention on booking that this was in the attic!) and then a double room for the other 2 nights. In our early 80's and both riddled with arthritis. We were very tired after a long drive. Alison welcomed us on arrival and checked us in. I then lugged our case up to the attic. The family room was in the attic with a velux roof light and sloping walls. Overcrowded, there was a double bed, a single bed, a settee (covered with a throw), an armchair, a folded cot, a single wardrobe and one bedside cupboard. This did not leave hardly any floor space and the room was nothing like the photos of the other rooms on the website. The stairs were steep and having lugged the suitcase upstairs, we were extremely unhappy and did not want to spend the night there. Returning to reception, I told Alison that we weren't happy with the room, and she went up to our room to talk to my wife. She said we could sleep in the double room on the 1st floor provided we did not take our belongings or toiletries down there and only slept in the bed and immediately returned to our room early in the morning. This was not an acceptable solution and as my wife had already undressed for bed we slept in the attic room but felt we had been conned. I hit my head on the sloping walls twice during the night, the shower was tiny, and light streamed in around the bedroom door. We had our breakfast (which I agree with other reviews was good) paid full price (cash) for the room and then left in the morning. Alison did try to persuade us to stay saying we could move rooms for the 3rd & 4th night, but this was not the standard of accommodation we had expected and was totally unacceptable. The attic room(s) are not the same star rating as the remainder of the B&B and I would only rate that room as 1*! No wonder there isn't any photos of that room on the website. There were 2 American ladies also staying in the attic area, and we heard them complaining but we did not know why. It's a shame because it spoilt our first experience of Scotland. We went to the nearest Tourist Board office and a very helpful lady found us excellent accommodation elsewhere for our remaining 3 nights.

Room Tip: Check to see what floor you are on and go somewhere else if you are told it will be the attic room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
woodvaleballoch, Owner at Woodvale B&B, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your account/review on your stay with us.
When you telephoned to make the 4 day booking I made it clear as to what room was available and where in the house it was . It was my ATTIC family room which runs the length of the house and plenty of room for 2 persons!though not as grand as my rooms downstairs(certainly not 1*) You confirmed that stairs are definitely not a problem ( I always ask if this would be an issue for my elderly guests).I also offered you at the time of booking an alternative room for the remaining nights and you agreed this would be most acceptable.On your arrival in the afternoon and helping you with your luggage to your room your wife thought the room lovely and it was not until the evening that you said you could not stay in "that" room. My first thought was of your comfort and offered you the downstairs room as not booked out until the next morning but you refused as your wife was in bed.Once you left ,such was my concern as to where you would find alternative accommodation at such short notice that I visited the tourist Information centre that day to ask if you managed to find somewhere which they said you had but with great difficulty.As for my 2 lovely American ladies who breakfasted at a different time as yourselves, they requested to stay a 2nd night which I was happy to accept.
Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for one night during our two weeks' Scotland trip in September. It was definitely one of the best we had on our journey and this means something as we were generally very impressed by Scottish hospitality. When booking I already noticed that Alison was the friendliest host and made me feel welcome by chatting a bit, which I appreciated a lot. So I had a very good impression even before our actual arrival. When confirming our arrival time a while before we went on our trip, she told us that we would be the first guests after her big anniversary party. It was all the more impressive and astonishing that everything was spotless when we came, although, as she told us, there had been lots of guests and overnight visitors the night before. I was very grateful that she had taken our booking anyway. It was our first night in Scotland and a very promising start. Alison showed us to our very nice room and when we said we wanted to go for a short walk to the Loch before sunset, she recommended us a fantastic route and offered us to reserve a table for us in a restaurant as well. The walk in the park with a fantastic light, great trees and a stunning view to the Loch together with the delicious food in the restaurant later on, remained in our memory although there were so many other great impressions for the next two weeks. As two weeks were too short for us, we will definitely come to Scotland again, especially to the West coast, which we liked best. One thing is for sure: If we come through Balloch again, which we would love to do, we will come back to this nice B&B and our great host Alison. We can strongly recommend it.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and sister in law were cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats and I joined them for a few days for the Scottish part. I arrived first at Woodvale and was made very welcome by Alison. Unfortunately my sister in law had fallen off her bike and so arrived in the support vehicle driven by her partner. Alison was very supportive of how she must be feeling. When my husband arrived wet and cold she offered to rinse and dry his wet gear and showed him where he could clean and store his bike. The rooms were clean, comfortable and warm. There was plenty of hot water and she get us off in the right direction for the meal we had booked. Breakfast the next morning was excellent, both the continental and the cooked. The fresh pastries were lovely. My sister in law plans to return to complete the 1000 miles and we will all happily stay here again. The attic room was small with a separate but large bathroom which was great. The other double room with en-suite could not be faulted.

Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

A couple of days my friend and I arrived in Balloch. It was late evening and we didn't have any place to stay. In first three B&Bs they had no vacancies and we were just about to give up, leave the town and look for some place to set up our tent, but then we decided to walk a little bit further. We knocked on the Woodvale's door and then we met Alison. She greeted us very warmly and said that she still had one room that would perfectly suit our needs. Now I can say that it was the luckiest moment of our 2-week trip and Woodvale was the best B&B we have ever stayed in! Alison was very kind and helpful, and on the next day, when we woke up and it was windy and raining, and we really had no idea what to do, she offered us the help of her husband who drove us to the foot of the Cobbler mountain where we started our hike. And thanks to them we had another great day in a beautiful Scotland!

After the extreme hike (rain, strong wind and even hail) we returned to Balloch to spend another night at Woodvale. On the next day we had to leave to continue our trip, but if any of us is in Balloch is in Balloch again, we will definitely come back to Alison and her great B&B. I am completely recommending this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balloch
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Gowanlea Guest House
Gowanlea Guest House
#4 of 26 in Balloch
Lomond Woods Holiday Park

Been to Woodvale B&B? Share your experiences!